what help dus the NHS GIVE

scotts6633

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i have bean dinsoed for 4 years and i have had no help unless you want to call a diettishion help i am a cook and have a family to cook for we have got rid of chip pan but that's not helped i still want something with sugar in it i have tried by eating healthy but then get toiled that that's not good for you .I have hart problems +MS and my wife has dementure +MS We get no help from anyone not even the government i cant even do a sink of dishes without feeling sore and ought of breath so i think i will have to start eating sweets gen to give me energy [last nurse i so sad that i will be class 1 before the years ought and i might loose my foot as i have strange feeling in it for 10 months and got a poment in des .2015 which is 10 months waiting] what is the point of trying as NHS dues not help us

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'll be a little blunt to be kind. NHS dieticians can be pretty useless with some exceptions. It looks like your GP and/or DN could be more helpful. You MUST reduce your carbs to get blood sugar down assuming it's too high - it's not an option. Have you got a glucose meter? If you don't have a meter then do buy the SD Codefree on the web. What was your last HBA1C blood test reading? You should have one of these at the surgery at least annually and more often if the blood sugar is too high. What is your BMI? When you reduce the carbs you should increase proteins and fats as well as veg. You don't need any sugar to give you energy; ignore all the adverts which tell you to have sugar for energy as that's just the food manufacturers wanting to sell you junk food. Enough proteins and fats with veg and residual carbs will give you all the energy you need but it will be absorbed slowly and you won't get a carb high. Obviously your other health problems will limit what you can easily do, but do get the blood sugar and weight into a good region thru diet. Are you on any medication for the diabetes?

scotts6633

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i am on 15 tablets in the morning and one at lunch and 7 at night i was on a trial drug [leader] for 4 years but i believe it was a placebo and in the routen of doing my blud every day it is average 12 [metformin 500mg 4 pd ] every time i get taken into hospital i cant even get parectomel as i am on all the drugs i can take safely so i get morfen and then pout on a angina syringe [the same as my spray ]

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi i have bean dinsoed for 4 years and i have had no help unless you want to call a diettishion help i am a cook and have a family to cook for we have got rid of chip pan but that's not helped i still want something with sugar in it i have tried by eating healthy but then get toiled that that's not good for you .I have hart problems +MS and my wife has dementure +MS We get no help from anyone not even the government i cant even do a sink of dishes without feeling sore and ought of breath so i think i will have to start eating sweets gen to give me energy [last nurse i so sad that i will be class 1 before the years ought and i might loose my foot as i have strange feeling in it for 10 months and got a poment in des .2015 which is 10 months waiting] what is the point of trying as NHS dues not help us

You need support and your GPs/Nurses etc should be doing that.

Do you consider that you are a Carer for your wife or that she is a Carer for you? If either of you are dependent upon the other person to assist you then you are effectively needing help. The GPs have to identify persons Carers... You may consider that you both help each other out because you are family... But if either of you are dependent upon the other person then you must tell your Gp. Your GP should also have leaflets regarding carers in the Practice. Some Practices like ours also have noticeboards with a lot of info on.

There are voluntary organisations to assist persons with health concerns.. Especially with Ms/dementia.

It sounds as if you are really struggling.

Have you tried any of the above?

scotts6633

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need support and your GPs/Nurses etc should be doing that.

Do you consider that you are a Carer for your wife or that she is a Carer for you? If either of you are dependent upon the other person to assist you then you are effectively needing help. The GPs have to identify persons Carers... You may consider that you both help each other out because you are family... But if either of you are dependent upon the other person then you must tell your Gp. Your GP should also have leaflets regarding carers in the Practice. Some Practices like ours also have noticeboards with a lot of info on.

There are voluntary organisations to assist persons with health concerns.. Especially with Ms/dementia.

It sounds as if you are really struggling.

Have you tried any of the above?
yes every time we get to see Dr its a different one and they ask the same question WHAT wrong WITH YOU and lets see what we can do its taken me over 10 months to get a appointment with the newoligest about my MS as my left leg is num all the time

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
yes every time we get to see Dr its a different one and they ask the same question WHAT wrong WITH YOU and lets see what we can do its taken me over 10 months to get a appointment with the newoligest about my MS as my left leg is num all the time

Have you got a consultant that looks after your MS at hospital or are you GP based care only? Sometimes consultants can get things done a lot quicker than GP requesting neurologist etc.

It may also be worthwhile speaking to the PALS dept at your hospital and asking them why your appt with neurologist took 10months. This is outside NICE guidelines and that you are requesting a response to you in writing... That would hurry them along a little.

Failing that you could write or speak to your MP and ask for his help to sort out your concerns with the way that you have been treated with NHS.

scotts6633

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a consultant that looks after your MS at hospital or are you GP based care only? Sometimes consultants can get things done a lot quicker than GP requesting neurologist etc.

It may also be worthwhile speaking to the PALS dept at your hospital and asking them why your appt with neurologist took 10months. This is outside NICE guidelines and that you are requesting a response to you in writing... That would hurry them along a little.

Failing that you could write or speak to your MP and ask for his help to sort out your concerns with the way that you have been treated with NHS.
last time we saw consultant for our MS was over 15 years its not even on my records at the Drs which i changed 4 years ago thats how bad its up hear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
last time we saw consultant for our MS was over 15 years its not even on my records at the Drs which i changed 4 years ago thats how bad its up hear

Please contact your GP and get the help and support you desperately need. Ask for a double appointment, so there is no need for your GP to rush. MS is a progressive condition, but there is help out there with support groups ( might be one in your area) also adult social services and try to Google as well. Take care RRB.
ps A good thing is to get a writing book and use it as a diary and also when you get an appointment, write down the main questions you need to put across and stress that you need help, support and guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people