Post Newcastle Diet blood glucose increase.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes

PS
My back today has almost no diffuse pain or sharp pain ( well a little bit ) but its like heaven on earth. And when I stand sideways in front of the mirror and push my stomach out what a dramatic change. ( maybe that's a bit too much sharing )

That is a good sign - by by stomach fat !!!

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
PS
My back today has almost no diffuse pain or sharp pain ( well a little bit ) but its like heaven on earth. And when I stand sideways in front of the mirror and push my stomach out what a dramatic change. ( maybe that's a bit too much sharing )

yes you have the shrinking visceral fat syndrome. My abdomen collapses in to a hollow when I lay on my back. I noticed that I lose fat from different parts of my body depending on how I try to lose it. The only thing I havent worked out is how to lose the fat just under the skin on my stomach.

Be careful as you may also get the incredible shrinking bum syndrome too and then you have to have a cushion to sit on as you have no padding. It is a right pain in the ... literally

Reactions: 5 people

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS

Fantastic that your back pain has gone! And it sounds line you're losing your liver fat. How's the diet going? Are your FBGs good?

I nearly slipped off the strict ND in the week but was saved by my cat Salty (see Avatar). He's a bit wild and will stalk you and leap onto your shoulders from the top's of doors where he lurks for unsuspecting humans. He also loves salmon (which unfortunately one of my kids has decided is not 'cool' to eat!). So a lovely plate of poached salmon was looking lonely and calling to me as I passed the kitchen. I went in back in 5 minutes later after sorting out a late delivery and my lovely poached salmon was gone! Stolen by Salty!

So all is going well - I was getting dizzy and lightheaded but I don't think I was having enough salt. I've been adding about 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the soups (and 1 tsp olive oil - as suggested in this forum to help some how with gall stones?) and Im feeling much better - and actually finding it easier to drink the 3 litres of water a day too. Bit more energy now (prob from the weight loss) and my FBGs are averaging 4.9 (and even a 4.5 this morning). Weight loss is still going well about 1lb every 2-3 days - but still a long way before I'd be happy with the fat around my middle - and a very long way off the 'bony bum'!

I'm finding this website invaluable - just reading other people's blogs is so inspiring, it really keeps me going. Thanks all you guys out there.

Reactions: 2 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Fantastic that your back pain has gone! And it sounds line you're losing your liver fat. How's the diet going? Are your FBGs go.

Well you sound like you are doing really well. End Sunday I'll be 4-weeks in. I've fallen off twice - one last night. I ate avacado, cream cheese and a hunk of cheese and red wine. Don't feel that great today. I'll only eat 3 shakes for the next 2 days.

My weight lose is like yours, kind of hoping for 5lbs a week.

My fasting blood sugars are good 4.2 to 4.7 or so. Went 48 hours without insulin and BG shot to 114 mm/ dl. Was weird. Drank a Whey powder shake total of 130calories. Did some kettle ball squats and within 2 hours BG was at 86 mg/dl. Maybe GPL-1 insulin was released from my gut - have read about and experience this when drinking super fine grains of protien powder.

Love your cat story. My kids hate salmon too. But I made a fresh caught mahi mahi sandwich broiled in Irish butter, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper on a toasted hamburger bun. They complained but it was all eaten. Hehehe.

I'm ready for the next 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well how are you getting on @runner2009 ? Have you had a good week?
I fell off the strict newcastle diet on Sunday with a 200g pack of almonds - (yes, I ate the whole lot as I was soooooo hungry!!).

I couldn't believe that they came to over 1000 kcal!!!!. So that was about 1900 kcal for the day instead of 800 max. I was disappointed (but not surprised) that the next morning BG was 7! and that's even with still taking metformin. It just goes to show I'm still very sensitive to carbs :(

It's taken the whole week to get my FBGs back down to 4.9 this morning. And I really am finding the shakes very tedious. I add psyllium husk to two of them with additional water and let it set to a 'pudding' consistency which is at least something to actually eat. My soups and veg mainly consist of spinach, onions, leeks and tinned tomatoes - but although they are warming, they still aren't that filling and I'm craving bread!

Even though my FBGs have been 6's and 7's most of this week, the good news is I have still been losing weight - another 5lbs :).
I can see my legs are slimmer but it's the big bit around the middle that doesn't seem to want to shift yet!

Hope you've been able to stick with your regime - you've only got 3 weeks to go !

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well how are you getting on @runner2009 ? Have you had a good week?
I fell off the strict newcastle diet on Sunday with a 200g pack of almonds - (yes, I ate the whole lot as I was soooooo hungry!!).

I did too. Yesterday. I was so hungry. My back started killing me , then I was chewing on a cinnamon stick and cracked a tooth almost to just below the gum line. Then I've have a major project at work and looking though thousands of lines of code unable to find the issue - am i going mad? My FBG was 5.1 so I guess I'm still good but I just want to be a 4.5 everyday no matter what!!!!!

I'm slimmer too, but I feel week 4 was a total waste as I did sneak food and was not careful. My waist is slowly coming down. I am now really worried about what is going to happen when I am off. And I am worried about tonight as I am going to be alone and I am going to go back to the shakes only for the next five days to make up for this. I am going to meditate when I am hungry - after drinking water.

I wish you all the luck this weekend. Now for me back to work looking for the 'bug'. Keep in touch please

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about the cracked tooth - ouch! Hope you're able to get it fixed soon.

Yes, I'm worried too about coming off the shakes at the end of this Newcastle Diet, especially after what happened earlier this week with my sudden FBG rise. It just sounds so much like my earlier attempt this year with the ND when my FBGs just went up again when I finished!!

You've had great FBGs - I bet your next HBA1c will be good.

I'm due to get my HBA1c done soon, and the GP has also suggested I have an OGTT just out of interest with me having been on this ND - but based on the 'almond incident' I'm sure the OGTT will show I'm glucose intolerant so I am pretty reluctant to take a whole load of sugary lucazade just to prove it.

Good luck with the 'bug' search - I find I'm not great with work at the moment, still a bit fuzzy and having to double check things - I'm sure it's to do with still not being used to the reduced calories. I've noted some people (and yourself included) have experienced a buzz of energy on a VLCD. I think it's something to do with ketosis?? .... I'm still waiting for that energy to kick in, hopefully!

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Sorry to hear about the cracked tooth - ouch! Hope you're able to get it fixed soon.

Yes, I'm worried too about coming off the shakes at the end of this Newcastle Diet, especially after what happened earlier this week with my sudden FBG rise. It just sounds so much like my earlier attempt this year with the ND when my FBGs just went up again when I finished!!

You've had great FBGs - I bet your next HBA1c will be good.

I'm due to get my HBA1c done soon, and the GP has also suggested I have an OGTT just out of interest with me having been on this ND - but based on the 'almond incident' I'm sure the OGTT will show I'm glucose intolerant so I am pretty reluctant to take a whole load of sugary lucazade just to prove it.

Good luck with the 'bug' search - I find I'm not great with work at the moment, still a bit fuzzy and having to double check things - I'm sure it's to do with still not being used to the reduced calories. I've noted some people (and yourself included) have experienced a buzz of energy on a VLCD. I think it's something to do with ketosis?? .... I'm still waiting for that energy to kick in, hopefully![/Qdrinks
Thanks for the support. It's just 5pm and I just drank my dinner and I am starving.

My FBG is usually good as long as I don't eat carbs, proteins, fats or snacks except for popcorn and celery.

I think 2 things have helped keep my BG down: starting on insulin from day one and fighting with the GPs not to stop. I think it helped save some of my beta cells and if I ever binge I just increase my dosage. The other thing is I think I stimulate a GPL-1 insulin response by drinking super fine Whey protein powder.

For me it really works. I replace the NCD drinks with Whey powder and kale powder.

I've given up on being cured or the faint hope of it. I just want reset my food eating, get off my high fat intake and reduce my insulin amounts by losing weight and getting a normal BMI.

Its just so frikin hard for me as I'm like my dog I can eat all day. It is fine if I'm exercising but I can't as much anymore because of my back.

Night time is the hardest time for me. I can get few the whole day on a handful of calories but when the evening comes lock the pantry and refrigerator.

Even if I eat through the day I still have a problem must be a neurotransmitter issue. Lol

Thx again for the support and I found those bugs. Yea!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you getting on @runner2009 ?

I've had a good week (until today) with FBGs all under 5 and another 5lbs down :). But today had lunch with friends - which is impossible on the shakes - so an absolutely delicious fish pie!! 1hr later BG 5.7, 2hs later BG 5.4 so really pleased.

I was really interested in your comments above about whey protein stimulating a GPL-1 insulin response - so I had a look through some threads on this website (so incredibly useful!!) and found some very interesting comments you had contributed to in sept 2014 called 'Managing the Bernstein eating plan'. What a great thread! I firmly believe my lower FBGs with the strict(ish!) ND this time around compared with the ND using real food earlier this year - is due a great deal to the whey protein in the shakes I'm sticking to this time.

I hadn't read much Bernstein before but having read the old thread I did a bit of digging and have been watching his you-tube videos this week - and very interested in his idea that you can give your beta cells 'a rest' by having low BGs (under 5) which may allow them [for some people] to regenerate. Sort of similar to Prof Taylor - but Bernstein appears to have a whole life strategy. I was really intrigued in one you tube video when he was asked if his patients had been cured: he said the only way to test this was to give his patients an OGTT but he hadn't tested any of them as he didn't believe giving them 300ml glucose solution was beneficial to them.

Maybe i should decline even having the OGTT done?

Would be very interested to hear what you are eating at the mo...apart from whey protein and kale powder!

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
THE DANGERS OF CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!

Well you may be interested to know that I fell off the Newcastle Diet after 5 weeks - last sun 15th Nov I had a "small' i.e. 20x10x1cm slice of delicious chocolate cake during a friend's birthday celebration, no alcohol or any other food or treats, and oh dear, oh dear, my blood glucose readings have suffered!!:(

I had previously been able to bring my FBG's into the 4's and occasional low 5's on this ND - but ever since the chocolate cake incident they zoomed up to 8.8 last monday morning then 7's and still not come down to even the 5's yet!! I restarted the strict ND on the monday but now even after a week I seem to have the dawn phenomenon with a reading of 6.2 this morning. It does go down during the day, but not by much.

Well it just goes to show chocolate cake is one of my trigger foods and I'm obviously not 'cured'! (And there seems no reason now to have that OGTT as I know I won't pass).

I'm thinking about Intermittent Fasting this week to try to get my FBGs down again to the 4's and 5's and will probably try a very low carb diet in between fast days.

On a good note I've still been losing weight - currently running at a total of 29 lbs on this ND...so getting nearer a normal BMI!!

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
From mid June until Mid August (ish) I did a real food Newcastle Diet. ( It wasn't 100% perfect but Prof Taylor says the weight loss is what matters, not how quickly, although the sudden calorie deficit is what helps to rid the liver of its fat.)

I had already lost a stone in weight (by LCHF) before beginning ND and then lost a further 16 lbs during ND, taking my weight loss so far to 30lb which is about 18% of my body weight and my BMI is now 24.

During the ND, my FBGs came down to low 5s and I stopped getting the rise (liver dump) in them after waking. My pre-meal BGs were also low 5s and often into the 4s, sometimes towards the lower end. I was, understandably, thrilled. I was disappointed that I was still reacting to carbs and that ND hadn't been a 'cure' for me but I was going to have a few weeks off and then try a few more weeks of ND to try to shift the rest of the abdominal fat. My own GP had warned me that weight loss may not have a huge impact on my diabetes because I did not a huge amount of weight to lose (BMI at diagnosis was 28).

Since I have finished ND 3 weeks ago, I have been doing LCHF and have only put half a pound back on so can't have increased fat around my liver, yet my FBGs and pre-meal BGs have gone back up, although not (yet) as high as before doing ND. FBGs have been gradually rising into high 5s and are now often into 6s. This morning was 6.3 with a rise to 6.8 before breakfast.

During ND I kept my diet as similar to normal as possible so was eating low fat yoghurt with berries for breakfast (now full fat with nuts), perhaps salmon with veg for dinner (now with butter), maybe a couple of ryvita crackerbread with lf soft cheese and tomatoes etc for lunch (now home made low carb almond crackers and pate). I would say that I was eating more carbs during ND (as a lot of low cal things are higher in carbs) compared with now.

I just don't understand what has happened and why my FBGs and pre-meal BG have gone back up. To say I am disappointed is an understatement; I was almost in tears this morning to see that my pre-breakfast BG was almost 7. I understand that the meter is not completely accurate but there is a definite pattern of increase since stopping ND.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
The ND is a hard one and a quick weight loss, I understand that it is still being researched, so might be advisable to let Prof Taylor know what is happening now. However, something any compulsive, regular dieter will tell is that as soon as normal eating is resumed the weight starts to creep back on, a little bit sort of rapidly. So after something like the ND you would need to follow a diet that is close to the ND as possible to retain the benefits, and of course, you will need to keep a steady exercise pattern going.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
The ND is a hard one and a quick weight loss, I understand that it is still being researched, so might be advisable to let Prof Taylor know what is happening now. However, something any compulsive, regular dieter will tell is that as soon as normal eating is resumed the weight starts to creep back on, a little bit sort of rapidly. So after something like the ND you would need to follow a diet that is close to the ND as possible to retain the benefits, and of course, you will need to keep a steady exercise pattern going.
This is my opinion after only 3-years if type 1.5 and insulin dependent.

For most of us there is no cure. This is not a simple disease. The ND can dramatically reduce our needs for insulin, but it is a starvation diet and back in the day prior to insulin that was the only course of action one had.

Most of us - but not all - have struggled with weight most of our life and that IS the history of the people of our world.

If I keep my BMI down in the normal range and exercise, I can dramatically reduce my insulin requirements. The ND diet can for me reduce my weight and insulin.

But, like my dogs, if I feed them so that they have what the vet says is their ideal weight they like me are hungry all the time and our licking the kitchen floor for any crumb they can find.

If I eat a LCHF diet I over eat the fat portion consistently. To be successful in controlling my diabetes I have to be ever vigilant, mindful and accepting of the fact that each day is a struggle.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or preaching but stating the fact that I know that this is basically a neurotransmitter issue that at one time was beneficial for our survival but in today's world of abundance of food all year around is just the opposite.