Typical time to process renewal?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine will be due next year on my three year anniversary (great reminder and present).

Just planning ahead, how long does it typically take to get the renewal through and I'm assuming I can continue to drive if the license is back in for renewal but not yet expired?

Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine will be due next year on my three year anniversary (great reminder and present).

Just planning ahead, how long does it typically take to get the renewal through and I'm assuming I can continue to drive if the license is back in for renewal but not yet expired?

Thanks
It depends on whether they decide to undertake a medical review. Typically, you will be sent the forms for renewal and these should be sent back. Mine took about six weeks all in.

You are still able to drive whilst the process is underway.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mine took around 6-8 weeks but they were checking medical records, usually it's around 4-6 week for a standard renewal.

You can still drive when you have submitted the forms even though your present licence has expired (as long as the DVLA haven't said otherwise), apparently there's a clause that allows you to drive if your application has been received and they are delayed in processing it.