what to eat

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Can you tell me please what can I buy from the supermarket, something ready to eat, to eat for dinner?
Also, when I am away from home/work, what could I eat?
Also, when I go for coffee, what could I buy with my coffee to eat?
It's so difficult to follow low carb diet, because almost everything sold has carbs!
thanks!

Reactions: 2 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I find this hard too.
Nuts are good for a snack and you can buy them almost anywhere.
Supermarket ready to eat is a lot trickier - pre-prepared salad and meat / tuna?
Away from home - hotels? Choose anything with meat or fish and vegetables - reject the potatoes.

It's hard but it has to be done :(

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
most prepared salads in supermarket have pasta or potatoes!
there are some others that you prepare them, but they are only leaves! maybe an egg or a slice of deli meat, but that's it! (and deli meat should be avoided tbh)

nuts are available, but often come with raisins! and nuts are carby too! and they don't fit well with coffee tbh

and what do you mean by ''meat' in supermarket? There is almost no ready to eat meat in supermarket! apart from delis, which we all know we should avoid

it's really very bad

I dream of a future society where there will be plenty of diabetic choices in all stores, government should start a campaign against carbs! as they did with fats and now we are full of light / low fat garbage! while fat is fine, and carbs is the real enemy!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can get to a Morrisons they may have a salad counter with a really good range. I found one a few weeks ago (in Cornwall) with not only plenty of "good" salad veg but also grated cheese and crunchy bacon bits which made a perfect lunch for £2.87. With fork. (Hate it when I forget the fork.)
I agree, supermarkets generally aren't good. Have a think and see if you can plan in advance and take food with you. This gives you more scope.
I despair of finding anything to eat in a coffee bar. Just don't. They will even try to persuade you to have syrup in the coffee.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Reason for avoiding deli's? I guess I'm one of those who doesn't know that we have to avoid..

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I work nearly full time and I travel about following footie and I find that some salads are ok but rarely tasty after being carried around. So now what I do is take roasted or cooked meat that I have cooked and just eat that! Homemade soup in a flask if it's cold like now! Nuts are ok, small pieces of fruit are ok, but it all depends on your tastes, there are always alternatives, you just have to cook them yourself, that's my hang up.
I do have a single piece of Bergen bread with cooked ham with a little lettuce. For my lunch most times. Then I snack mouthful till my small meal after work, then my supper later.
You have to shop and think ahead to get low carbing right and once you get it with your own personal choice, it becomes easier. Especially if you have to like I do!

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reason for avoiding deli's? I guess I'm one of those who doesn't know that we have to avoid..

due to nitrates basically, plus it's good to avoid red meat altogether, it's carcinogenic

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think a lot of people would disagree with that! Nitrates maybe but red meat carcinogenic?

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt any non-vegetarian would agree with you. Do you have the links to the research?

yea i wanna see evidence 2 and if the op is such an xpert about food,why did they need 2 start this topic asking what 2 eat?? bit wierd

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
due to nitrates basically, plus it's good to avoid red meat altogether, it's carcinogenic
From your comments so far on this thread I can highly recommend a few slices of cardboard ;)

Joking apart all foods are fine in moderation. My landlords father lived to the age of 94 and he ate red meat every day of the year and had done so from the day he ate solid foods. Being a farmer gave him a good choice of meats. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you have an M&S near you have a look at their Balanced Carbs range of ready meals. They are surprisingly low carb but very good. To be fair, other supermarkets may do similar ranges.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok - there's something odd going on here. Greener, I have looked at your profile and it says prediabetes, but in previous posts you have mentioned that you ARE diabetic, also your first post was asking about bread, and you saying that you couldn't afford not to eat it! Yet on this thread you don't want to eat carbs
Given by what you have said in this thread, it would be useful if you could clarify for us what your situation actually is? I find myself rather confused by the conflicting posts..thanks.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and what do you mean by ''meat' in supermarket? There is almost no ready to eat meat in supermarket! apart from delis, which we all know we should avoid
I think most supermarkets will have cooked meats, fish, and chicken, in packs as well as on the deli counter. Go online to check out your favourite supermarket, and have a search round and you should be able to check out the nutritional content of these packs and give yourself some idea of what's acceptable.

Robbity

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never had a problem with supermarkets, cold meats prepacked or from the cold counter or chicken/meat from the hot counter, cheese :) morrisons are great the buffet counter mentioned above is good , , I buy some turkey chicken beef etc, then get a small salad tub (self service) and fill it with low carb stuff, boiled eggs, maybe a tomato, bacon bits , coleslaw etc

Reactions: 6 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
most prepared salads in supermarket have pasta or potatoes!
there are some others that you prepare them, but they are only leaves! maybe an egg or a slice of deli meat, but that's it! (and deli meat should be avoided tbh)

nuts are available, but often come with raisins! and nuts are carby too! and they don't fit well with coffee tbh

it's really very bad

I dream of a future society where there will be plenty of diabetic choices in all stores, government should start a campaign against carbs! as they did with fats and now we are full of light / low fat garbage! while fat is fine, and carbs is the real enemy!

There is usually plenty of meat in the supermarket - most of them do freshly cooked chicken for a start!

What do you want us to say? Everything we have suggested you have rejected. Most of us eat nuts for instance and every supermarket sells nuts on their own. If we could wave a magic wand and produce tasty low carb cakes in a flash we'd all be laughing!

I am afraid you will just have to be prepared to make a lot more stuff at home to take with you!

David J Clark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I travel extensively for my work and live most of the week in hotels. I have been type 2 diabetic for some years and now Insulin Dependent. I am trying to follow a low carb diet also. However, I must say that trying to source 3 meals a day locally to wherever I'm working in the world or in hotels is a real challenge.