Another recently diagnosed Type 2, here.

FLS

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hello everyone.

My diagnosis of Type 2 came as no surprise to me, as a chronic fatigue sufferer of some 6/7 years with a relatively sedentary lifestyle (A world away from my previous life where i played pro sports - Not to elite level, unfortunately :))

My BG level at diagnosis was 19, and in the 8 days since diagnosis, with a complete 180 on diet, I have got my levels down to within the parameters of normal, at all times. Until this morning that is; when my BG was at 7.6 first thing :(

I then had a bowl of cheerios with skimmed milk for B/fast, and my BG was at 10.8, 2 hours later. How has that happened?

I had 5 small crackers with laughing cow cheese spread and babybel about an hour before bed last night, which maybe would explain the 7.6 this morning, i suppose? but why the jump from 7.6 after B/fast, when its the same B/fast I've had for the last 3/4 days, and it never affected my levels before?

For some reason I was dehydrated this morning despite drinking well over 2 litres of water yesterday, and my urine was a fairly dark colour.

Can dehydration put my BG up?

Great forum BTW. I actually joined about 2 weeks ago, before I was diagnosed, but have just got round to posting, as I have spent a lot of time going through the posts containing some wonderful advice and information.

P.S Some crazy things happening with my eyesight. I can now see distances perfectly, including small print, for the first time in about 5 years, but I need to hold my iPad at arms length to read it, which i can do perfectly, as my reading glasses no longer work.

From research I see that this isn't uncommon, and could also be temporary, so no need to throw away the glasses just yet.

Anyone else experience this, and the eyesight improvement was permanent ? :D

Jon

Tonymachaj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Jon, I was diagnosed with Type 2 three weeks ago....I have been testing my blood and I will be looking at the replies you get for your post as there doesn't seem to be a set pattern... This said, I saw my doctor yesterday and he told me not to get too hung up on the numbers....the nurse will just be looking for patterns when I see her next week......I think that's what he said at any rate.

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone.

My diagnosis of Type 2 came as no surprise to me, as a chronic fatigue sufferer of some 6/7 years with a relatively sedentary lifestyle (A world away from my previous life where i played pro sports - Not to elite level, unfortunately :))

My BG level at diagnosis was 19, and in the 8 days since diagnosis, with a complete 180 on diet, I have got my levels down to within the parameters of normal, at all times. Until this morning that is; when my BG was at 7.6 first thing :(

I then had a bowl of cheerios with skimmed milk for B/fast, and my BG was at 10.8, 2 hours later. How has that happened?

I had 5 small crackers with laughing cow cheese spread and babybel about an hour before bed last night, which maybe would explain the 7.6 this morning, i suppose? but why the jump from 7.6 after B/fast, when its the same B/fast I've had for the last 3/4 days, and it never affected my levels before?

For some reason I was dehydrated this morning despite drinking well over 2 litres of water yesterday, and my urine was a fairly dark colour.

Can dehydration put my BG up?

Great forum BTW. I actually joined about 2 weeks ago, before I was diagnosed, but have just got round to posting, as I have spent a lot of time going through the posts containing some wonderful advice and information.

P.S Some crazy things happening with my eyesight. I can now see distances perfectly, including small print, for the first time in about 5 years, but I need to hold my iPad at arms length to read it, which i can do perfectly, as my reading glasses no longer work.

From research I see that this isn't uncommon, and could also be temporary, so no need to throw away the glasses just yet.

Anyone else experience this, and the eyesight improvement was permanent ? :D

Jon

Hi

I am 54, I have been diagnosed, six weeks, as type 2, and am on a diet, plus taking Gliclazide

I had my eyes tested, a week ago, as part of ,the routine retiopathy exam. The optician was amazed, for the first time, in fifty years ,my eyesight has improved, and so therefore, need weaker lenses, for the first time.

One minus side I now need to wear reading glasses

One consolation, is that, at my age, I am too old, to die young

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/23350-dramatic-eyesight-improvement-weird-or-normal/

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jon, welcome. Well done for getting to grips with your new lifestyle. A few points from your post ...
My diagnosis of Type 2 came as no surprise to me, as a chronic fatigue sufferer of some 6/7 years with a relatively sedentary lifestyle
The causes of T2 are obscure and certainly unrelated to any of the assumptions we find in the media, which likes to attach blame to the individual. So don't be tempted to think you could have avoided it. Delayed, perhaps.
with a complete 180 on diet,
OK, give us the lowdown on that, please?
I then had a bowl of cheerios with skimmed milk for B/fast, and my BG was at 10.8, 2 hours later.
I think most of us would be surprised if our BG didn't hit that level. That's why it will be interesting to hear what else you're eating just now.
Lots more to discuss but I'll tag @daisy1 to give you her excellent info pack. There will be answers to your other concerns I'm sure.
Stick around!

FLS

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank Tony and Mart

DeejayR

Re my diet

I now make sure I have B/fast, which wasn't always the case, and I have either Cheerios with skimmed milk, and maybe an apple, or all bran with half a banana thinly sliced on top.

If I bothered to have a breakfast previously it would have Frosties, or toast, although more often than not I skipped it.

For lunch for example, I have been having home-made carrot and coriander soup, or Tomato & Basil, with a Lidl high protein roll or tortilla wrap with sliced chicken which I roasted in the oven in a little extra virgin olive oil, with sweet gem lettuce and a little touch of low fat French dressing.

Lunch previously would have been ham toastie or a small sandwich, nothing else

Tonight for example is Goulash (the recipe from the hairy bikers diet book) which I will have with Basmati rice and some mixed veg. Baked lemon sole with Jacket potato and mixed veg tomorrow night

Evening meal could really have been anything, although it tended to be healthy good quality food, it's just the portion sizes were ridiculous looking back.

in between meals varies but yesterday I had a pear mid morning, a banana mid afternoon, and late evening I had a slice of low GI bread, with peanut butter, and the very slightest coat of sugar free strawberry jam.

Evening was where it all went south, and a dietitian told me that this was due to the fact I didn't eat enough during the day, and it wasn't unusual for me to consume half a dozen bags of crisps and a few chocolate biscuits or a ham sandwich lashed with full fat mayo and washed down with at least a litre of 100% pressed apple juice.

It wasn't unusual for me to consume 2 litres of said apple juice in a day, and there wasn't a day went by that I didn't have at least a litre of it, something which my Dr suggesting might have been a large contributor to my T2 diagnosis.

I always drank water, but now its my only choice, and well over 2 litres a day. I don't drink alcohol or tea/coffee anyway, so not missing out there.

I have cut out all rubbish, controlling my portions, limiting my carbs, not skipping meals, limiting myself to 2 slices of bread per day, cut down on red meat, drinking plenty water, like I used to back i the day :D

We used to go to Burger King on a Thursday night, that been knocked on the head, although I do still have a Greggs Tuna sandwich on brown bread at Friday lunch time :D (my BG was only 6.5 2 hrs later)

I did buy wholemeal pasta, rice etc. but I was shocked to find that Tesco's fresh egg pasta fusilli was half the carbs and sugar of their dried wholemeal variety, so have tended to have a small amount of that with certain meals

I'm probably missing something important out, I'm a bit scatty to be honest, but thats the jist of it.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing really well in your chef's apron and all would be well if we weren't diabetic. The NHS tells us to cut out the obviously sugary stuff and eat healthy carbs, but to us carbohydrates are just another form of sugar. Many of us therefore have also cut out everyday bread, rice, pasta and root crops including the dear old spud. Breakfast cereals are a minefield to be negotiated carefully. Low-fat products often contain more sugar than the full-fat version. Fruit may be fine for non-diabetics but we have to beware. Especially of bananas!
While you're waiting for daisy1's info have a browse in the low-carb diet forum, "what have you eaten today?" thread.

FLS

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you very much for the advice, I appreciate it.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi FLS, I was diagnosed 8 days ago too but it came as no surprise as all of my dad's family were diabetic and for the last few months I have been thirsty ALL the time - probably making matters even worse by drinking 10-12 glasses of orange squash a day to try and quench it. I hate tap water but am beginning to get used to drinking Badoit now. My BG level was 22 and this morning it is 14. I have been trying to follow the LCHF diet, so eating almost the opposite to you!!! But I have lost 2kgs in a week, which I desparately need to do.

The main reason I was answering your post was that whilst watching TV last night I couldn't read any of the writing on the screen. I took my glasses off to see if there was any difference (perhaps I needed stronger ones) and all became clear, the mist had lifted! My vision was much better without the glasses. It appears to be the same today. However, my husband who is non-diabetic and has worn glasses since he was about 20 said that this often happens to him for short periods of time. He said that at the moment he is not needing his reading glasses at all and hasn't been wearing his normal glasses so much.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Your higher BG could be a liver dump or dawn phenomenon - there is lots of information around the site about this. My BGs are normally high in the mornings.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @FLS
I too am a "sufferer" with Chronic Fatigue and it was a factor in me stepping down from work about eight months ago. I wonder if, in the absence of the regular exercise that was a part of a busy kitchen, and the more sedentary life that replaced it over last year, this caused or at least, hastened the diabetes diagnosis.
(It's a bit personal so don't feel you have to reply, but I'd like to know for my own reasons, what led to your Chronic Fatigue).

And I too wore glasses since my teens, only to find my eyesight has improved dramatically over the last year. I can pick out and identify a bird on a tree on the other side of the valley, but I can't read this screen without reading glasses (1.5).
If this turns a to be a huge medical breakthrough, can I at least get my name on the Nobel prize trophy?:D