Hyper reaction to aubergine?

ashette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My other half cooked tea tonight which included several slices of grilled aubergine. When I checked my blood sugar it came back at 11.1 which is miles higher than anything I've had since starting monitoring, and I feel tired, thirsty and sluggish. I had a highish (about 9) reading having an aubergine curry again recently. All my other readings have been between 5-7 fasting and 5-8.5 after meals so it seems like an extreme reaction, but reading online I can only see good things about aubergine - has anyone had anything similar?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A quick Google search says they have 6g of carbs per 100g weight.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since aubergine doesn't appear to be all that high in carbs, perhaps it's worth a look at the other foods you ate at the same time, in case there might be something else in ther meals that could have caused those high levels? If not then, it looks as though you'd be best off avoiding aubergine in future.

Robbity

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My other half cooked tea tonight which included several slices of grilled aubergine. When I checked my blood sugar it came back at 11.1 which is miles higher than anything I've had since starting monitoring, and I feel tired, thirsty and sluggish. I had a highish (about 9) reading having an aubergine curry again recently. All my other readings have been between 5-7 fasting and 5-8.5 after meals so it seems like an extreme reaction, but reading online I can only see good things about aubergine - has anyone had anything similar?

Only with peanuts... Not with aubergine.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aubergines are members of the nightshade family and some people can be sensitive to those (incl. potatoes, peppers and tomatoes). I've only heard it mentioned in relation to inflammation, but it's possible that it can affect BG.

ashette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doh! I suppose that includes red and white wine vinegars too?