Good recipes for newly diagnosed T1 Diabetic

Cjburny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just to start off I'm absolutely terrible with forum posts so if this isn't in the right place I whole heartedly apologise...

So I was newly diagnosed with T1 Diabetes about three days ago, I'm 20 and live by myself and naturally I can cook the basics but I'm no chef...

Was wondering if anyone had any good Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner recipes that are easy to make and or good foods that are good in meals, advanced recipes are welcome I'm sure I can set fire to my kitchen once or twice trying to make something other than Weetabix, I need to learn sometime.

Thanks guys, I'm absolutely clueless at the moment.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
yo @Cjburny
welcome to the forum :)

my best friend for evening meals is my veg steamer-- broccoli , cauli , cabbage , celeriac , sprouts , kale , spinach . courgettes
are all brill in the steamer

grilling your meats ( if eaten ) is healthy -- i take a chicken breast and wrap it in cling film -- then pound it to flatten and tenderise -- take the film off - drizzle with olive oil , garlic . salt , pepper -- hey presto under the grill -- delicious

in the frying pan mushrooms are a sure bet -- lots of herbs and spice and heat( chilli flakes) can be added for taste

for brekkie look no further than an adapted english-- eggs , bacon , grilled tomato , mushroom ,( ditch the beans )

and PS -- if you need any help i am around most of the time -- you will have loads of queries -- keep posting !!

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two ways with Cauliflower from someone who use to hate cauliflower:

With half a cauliflower break it into florets and put in a pan of boiling water with an chicken stock cube added. Boil the cauli until you can easily poke a knife into it then drain and blitz with a hand mixer. Then you can add to this butter, cream and cheese to come up with something which resembles mashed potato. This also stores well in the fridge for a few days and you can take what ever portion size you want and heat up in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

The other way is to wash and dry the caulflower florets, swirling around your head in a teatowel works well, then tossing in olive oil and a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and roasting in the over at 200 degrees for around 25 minutes. It comes out looking charred but it is absolutely delicious and even better with parmesan cheese sprinked on top when it is warm.

Reactions: 3 people

Cjburny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks guys, greatly appreciated!!

At the moment it's a bit touch and go with food, naturally I've burnt through a lot of my natural body fat so I'm trying to gain that back now that Im getting my insulin in me but I'm finding it extremely difficult with all the carbs, things not to have to much of ext ext (used to just whack a ready meal in the microwave and hey ho)

Thanks for the warm welcome himtoo! And loving the cauliflower idea Andy-Sev, I actually like cauliflower so I'll give that recipe a whirl !

Thank god I can still have my fry up, if not a tiny bit altered... Still a fry up