Completely Unpredictable Readings

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Getting so frustrated at the moment. I was diagnosed in March, and take very little basal insulin so I think I'm probably still in the honeymoon. Lately my readings have been becoming more and more unpredictable, yesterday I was 5.1 before breakfast, took 2 units with breakfast (35g) and was 5.7 before lunch. Today I woke up at 5.7 and did exactly the same thing, only to find that today I was 8.6 at lunch....?!?!?! I just can't understand this, I feel like I'm doing everything I'm supposed to but it isn't working. Not sure what I'm asking for here, but some reassurance would be great! Just feel like I'm failing :(

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sounds as though you are going through one of those periods where your beta cells are functioning rather like a misfiring engine. It works in fits and starts, occasionally spitting out insulin and then spluttering to a standstill. It's not your fault, and this will be a tricky period, but it is unfortunately one of those things that often happens.

Reactions: 3 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Becky I do exactly the same thing everyday and my readings will vary hugely. Try not too worry, as you will learn in time there are many variables to managing type 1, stress, heat, exercise, hormones, just put it down to learning, don't get frustrated as this won't help your BG either.

If it occurs regularly and you see a pattern then adjust your doses - you are certainly not failing at all and no one is here to judge you, but go a bit easier on yourself ;)

Reactions: 14 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with @Juicyj, there are so many variables that can effect bg levels so don't go changing your insulin doses from one days readings, test again tomorrow and the next day before making any adjustments.

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if this is any consolation those levels are still very good! don't be so hard on yourself (although i am the same) x

Reactions: 4 people

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those readings are ace! Just put it down to a bad day or a bad week. I had a terrible week a few weeks ago (couldn't get it below 12) where my doses pretty much doubled, then were perfect for few weeks (one of the days every reading was 5.8 or 5.9 and I thought my meter had broken). This week I keep hypoing. Diabetes is a pain.

I'm 23 and diagnosed in April too so still got a **** of a pancreas too - I feel like it's gonna be easier when it stops trying. Luckily I finished uni last year!

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those readings are ace! Just put it down to a bad day or a bad week. I had a terrible week a few weeks ago (couldn't get it below 12) where my doses pretty much doubled, then were perfect for few weeks (one of the days every reading was 5.8 or 5.9 and I thought my meter had broken). This week I keep hypoing. Diabetes is a pain.

I'm 23 and diagnosed in April too so still got a **** of a pancreas too - I feel like it's gonna be easier when it stops trying. Luckily I finished uni last year!

I'm wondering if it'll get easier when I finally graduate this summer!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Trust me with time it does get easier, your understanding of how your body responds to your insulin and diabetes will get alot better, just go easy on yourself and don't punish yourself over high numbers, it's a marathon not a race ! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What they said ^^^ those levels are great. You are very very unlikely to get your levels to stay exactly the same all day every day. There are just too many things that affect levels. As long as you're in your target range then you're fine. If not correct (either way) and off you go again.

The main thing is that if you're constantly out of range have a look for patterns and try and stop the cause. That's all you can do really!

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I keep a spreadsheet with all my readings and graphs/comments to try and spot patterns, but I think what's frustrating is there never seems to be any. After having high readings again today I'll try and change my ratios tomorrow. I think that with only taking 5 units of Lantus my basal just barely lasts through the day at all, as I'm fine at bedtimes (I take my basal at 9pm)

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would go for yes! Depends just how much of a 'typical student' you are!

What degree do you do?/what uni?

Haha well I have to admit I don't drink so probably not too typical! :p I'm at Cardiff doing chemistry. Come to think of it, perhaps stress is causing some of this...haha!

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha well I have to admit I don't drink so probably not too typical! :p I'm at Cardiff doing chemistry. Come to think of it, perhaps stress is causing some of this...haha!

I didn't drink either during 3rd year. *high five*

Sorry I can't give you any advice on the whole uni thing as I'm as fresh as you to diabetes!

Stress does screw **** up though. Message me if I can be remotely useful. At the very least I'm a the same age :)

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks everyone. I keep a spreadsheet with all my readings and graphs/comments to try and spot patterns, but I think what's frustrating is there never seems to be any. After having high readings again today I'll try and change my ratios tomorrow. I think that with only taking 5 units of Lantus my basal just barely lasts through the day at all, as I'm fine at bedtimes (I take my basal at 9pm)
Hello becky,ford93, may I add to the post, although i am T2, my readings are not making much sense at the moment,,,,,I think the weather should be considered as a factor in your plan,,,,the colder it is then your body could well hold things up to keep your 'body fuel' in reserve in case of cold etc,,,,,,, please stay with your careful records and have a think about what you have done during the day,,,, when cold,you want to be cosy,...ttfn from Karen.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Becky I do exactly the same thing everyday and my readings will vary hugely. Try not too worry, as you will learn in time there are many variables to managing type 1, stress, heat, exercise, hormones, just put it down to learning, don't get frustrated as this won't help your BG either.

If it occurs regularly and you see a pattern then adjust your doses - you are certainly not failing at all and no one is here to judge you, but go a bit easier on yourself ;)
I have the same problem. I was told when first diagnosed in 1968 that I was "brittle" and that my sugars would jump without reason or notice. I've been on a LCHF diet for a little over a year now and thought I was past those spikes, but earlier this week my sugar jumped to 437 without carbs, cheating, or anything unusual. I kept testing and treating, which is really the only thing you can do.
There are all kinds of people (especially medical people, like doctors and nurses) who will blame you for your diabetes. Don't let them. And don't join them, either. Over time, you'll see how important it is to your health to treat your diabetes without the judgement. It's just a condition that requires treatment. It doesn't make you good or bad.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress has a HUGE impact on blood sugar levels; it can push them up severely.

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Becky,
I've been through your stage, I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. You're still keeping really tight readings though so I wouldn't sweat it too much. As others have said, it seems your beta cells are intermittently joining in the party. It will settle down. In the meantime don't stress over it too much. I've found all kinds of things affect my readings, from anti histamines to stress.

shannonlattaa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running!
Getting so frustrated at the moment. I was diagnosed in March, and take very little basal insulin so I think I'm probably still in the honeymoon. Lately my readings have been becoming more and more unpredictable, yesterday I was 5.1 before breakfast, took 2 units with breakfast (35g) and was 5.7 before lunch. Today I woke up at 5.7 and did exactly the same thing, only to find that today I was 8.6 at lunch....?!?!?! I just can't understand this, I feel like I'm doing everything I'm supposed to but it isn't working. Not sure what I'm asking for here, but some reassurance would be great! Just feel like I'm failing :(

LOL, thats the way it goes to be honest.. just take extra few unit to keep it down again if it went up again that way maybe your body will get used to it.. dont get fustrated, im alot worse than that, i can never be that low as you!! :)