BG going up

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
So as of today completed a full week on low carb diet and I have to say it's good. I like it. Thought it will be harder but after two days of cravings it's fine. I lost 3kg.

But my blood glucose spiked up. It's usually between 5 and 7 and now it's not lower than 7 in the morning and it goes as high as 10 during the day.
I just had some burgers (home made just mince and egg) with side of salad (iceberg lettuce, tomato, mayo, feta, onion ) and my BG is 10.9. Highest that's ever been after food.
I don't think I'm coming down with anything, my headaches (IIH) have got a bit worse cos of weather but that's it.

Any ideas? It's so strange!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
have you got a new box of test strips .. when I get odd high readings for no reasons I try a different batch of strips to confirm the numbers. Other than that, are you eating enough ? What is you ave meal carb count ?

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have you got a new box of test strips .. when I get odd high readings for no reasons I try a different batch of strips to confirm the numbers. Other than that, are you eating enough ? What is you ave meal carb count ?
I always test each box with a solution I have for the meter. I have another box of strips and I checked just there and it's 11.5 :(

I'm pretty sure I am eating enough but I am also watching my calories as I am obese. My daily carbs are 25-28g and today I actually had 29g.
I'm not sure what's my average per meal as it changes every day depending on what I eat

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition to other things, I find both headaches (generally migraines for me) and the weather can affect my glucose levels. Since I can't control either, I try when in this situation, not to make my levels any worse by stressing over them.

Sometimes you just have to accept that such things happens, and are often beyond your control, though it certainly helps if you are aware that things other than diet can cause them, and that you're not (necessarily) doing anything "wrong"!

Robbity

PS Are you keeping any sort of food diary so you can see what may be causing any spikes? 29g carbs instead of 28g is neither here nor there, and particularly in the case of veggies and fruit, nature will never be absolutely accurate. The values we're given for their carb content can only ever be an average taken over a number of test batches.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In addition to other things, I find both headaches (generally migraines for me) and the weather can affect my glucose levels. Since I can't control either, I try when in this situation, not to make my levels any worse by stressing over them.

Sometimes you just have to accept that such things happens, and are often beyond your control, though it certainly helps if you are aware that things other than diet can cause them, and that you're not (necessarily) doing anything "wrong"!

Robbity

PS Are you keeping any sort of food diary so you can see what may be causing any spikes? 29g carbs instead of 28g is neither here nor there, and particularly in the case of veggies and fruit, nature will never be absolutely accurate. The values we're given for their carb content can only ever be an average taken over a number of test batches.
I use my fitness pal and record everything I eat. And how much water I drink. I don't eat fruit. Don't like it.
As for headaches I suffer from intercranial hypertension and I have a constant headache. Got used to live with it and it never bothered my BG. I do get worried when it gets worse because in 90% of times it means I need to go to hospital or I can die. I am waiting on neurosurgery at the moment.
I don't know what's up with them bloods... other than way of eating nothing has changed. And I haven't even changed the vegetables I am eating as I am not a big fan and I stuck to what I had before.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi are you bolusing for the protein an fat? I now bolus for 50% protein and 10% fat