testosterone testing???

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. I was watching a vid on You tube, regarding a clinic in the US somewhere that treats diabetes, and they recommend that testosterone levels, (in both men and woman) should be tested, and something called a "c-reactor protein" should be tested. Does anyone know much about this or have any experience, and if so, what happened IF these levels were not right, were they treated and did it help in anyway with the diabetes? Just wondering!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
CRP is a health marker, if you have a lot of it, it shows inflammation, but I don't know if it's tested for in UK.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. I was watching a vid on You tube, regarding a clinic in the US somewhere that treats diabetes, and they recommend that testosterone levels, (in both men and woman) should be tested, and something called a "c-reactor protein" should be tested. Does anyone know much about this or have any experience, and if so, what happened IF these levels were not right, were they treated and did it help in anyway with the diabetes? Just wondering!!!

C reactive Protein is a blood test that tests for inflamation in the body. The test only gives a clue as to whether an inflamation is present but does not give any clue as yo where in the body the inflamation is.

I am not sure about the effects of testosterone in diabetes, but it has a strong link with the development of Prostate Cancer. Prostate Cancer thrives on testosterone, and one trestment is to use a hormone implant which contains womens hormones. This dramatically lowers the testosterone levels and slows the development and spread of the Prostate Cancer.

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know the science behind it, but have just come back from the doctors and I did ask to be tested for my levels on this, results on that come back tomorrow, but it can have an effect on diabetes 2 for sure. I will find out more tomorrow.

Perro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been taking testosterone for a while now due to low levels. It's expensive but works well for me.

Risk factors for low testosterone (hypogonadism)

Many systemic diseases (e.g. diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, coronary artery disease, liver disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, rheumatoid arthritis, other inflammatory conditions and generalized infections) correlate with low testosterone levels. Therefore, signs or symptoms of hypogonadism can be an early indication leading to diagnosis of an underlying condition. In addition, obesity, injury to the testes, genetic factors and normal aging can contribute to hypogonadism. Although many risk factors for low testosterone are not modifiable, improving diet, moderating alcohol consumption, losing weight and reducing stress can be helpful to men wanting to reduce the risk of hypogonadism.

Medications.

Statins (which are widely prescribed for dyslipidemia), glucocorticoid medications and opioid treatment for chronic pain are well known medications that reduce testosterone levels and may precipitate hypogonadism.

How important is it to treat hypogonadism?

There are clearly established links between hypogonadism and depression, cardiovascular risk, diabetes and metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis, and other chronic illnesses. Low testosterone values are also associated with increased mortality, even after adjusting for age, comorbidities, and other clinical covariates.

Testosterone replacement therapy can improve libido, mood, increase bone density, and improve body composition and quality of life in hypogonadal men. Treatment may also improve insulin resistance, reduce central obesity, and improve other risk factors for cardiovascular diseas.

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been taking testosterone for a while now due to low levels. It's expensive but works well for me.

Risk factors for low testosterone (hypogonadism)

Many systemic diseases (e.g. diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, coronary artery disease, liver disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, rheumatoid arthritis, other inflammatory conditions and generalized infections) correlate with low testosterone levels. Therefore, signs or symptoms of hypogonadism can be an early indication leading to diagnosis of an underlying condition. In addition, obesity, injury to the testes, genetic factors and normal aging can contribute to hypogonadism. Although many risk factors for low testosterone are not modifiable, improving diet, moderating alcohol consumption, losing weight and reducing stress can be helpful to men wanting to reduce the risk of hypogonadism.

Medications.

Statins (which are widely prescribed for dyslipidemia), glucocorticoid medications and opioid treatment for chronic pain are well known medications that reduce testosterone levels and may precipitate hypogonadism.

How important is it to treat hypogonadism?

There are clearly established links between hypogonadism and depression, cardiovascular risk, diabetes and metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis, and other chronic illnesses. Low testosterone values are also associated with increased mortality, even after adjusting for age, comorbidities, and other clinical covariates.

Testosterone replacement therapy can improve libido, mood, increase bone density, and improve body composition and quality of life in hypogonadal men. Treatment may also improve insulin resistance, reduce central obesity, and improve other risk factors for cardiovascular diseas.
That is so interesting, thank you. I think i am right in assuming that testosterone can also affect woman?

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it does Foxy.
I am in NOrth Cyprus so go to a private clinic which is actually very cheap! Most of my blood results came back within 1 hour today, but the testosterone will be tomorrow, so if anything I will post! My doctor said I was right to pick up on a few bits, but my question is, why is this not normal, or maybe it is, in the UK, Who knows!

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my hormone levels checked at my GPs because of PCOS. The free andragen test which indicates the level of testosterone in my body was higher than it should be. But as I'm in my mid-40's, the doctor said that's normal as you approach the menopause. As it's not having any impact at the moment she didn't want to do anything about it.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found this:
http://www.healthywomen.org/condition/androgen
About 10 percent of women with high levels of a form of testosterone called "free" testosterone have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), characterized by irregular or absent menstrual periods, infertility, blood sugar disorders (prediabetes and type 2 diabetes), and, in some cases, symptoms like acne and excess hair growth. Most women with PCOS are overweight or obese, though a small percentage have a normal body weight. Left untreated, high levels of androgens, regardless of whether a woman has PCOS or not, are associated with serious health consequences, such as insulin resistance and diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease.

Reactions: 4 people

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found this:
http://www.healthywomen.org/condition/androgen
About 10 percent of women with high levels of a form of testosterone called "free" testosterone have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), characterized by irregular or absent menstrual periods, infertility, blood sugar disorders (prediabetes and type 2 diabetes), and, in some cases, symptoms like acne and excess hair growth. Most women with PCOS are overweight or obese, though a small percentage have a normal body weight. Left untreated, high levels of androgens, regardless of whether a woman has PCOS or not, are associated with serious health consequences, such as insulin resistance and diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease.
That's really interesting, and certainly worth people checking out. I wonder why the docs don't offer this as part of the check ups?