Type 3c - how many are we?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
never heard of 3c diabetes... now I got to look and see what it is :)

Reactions: 6 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
always thought there was only two types of Diabetes ...we live and learn :)

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Never really heard of it until now. I will try and educate myself about this rare type of diabetes. Mmm, interesting.

S

Shar67

I must admit I think I should write a 'what is type 3c intro to this sub forum, I will try and get around to it in the next few days! Apologies! :)
(Unless you fancy having a go @Shar67 ??!)
Sue xxx

Pancreatogenic diabetes is classified by the World Health Organization as type 3c diabetes mellitus (T3cDM) and refers to diabetes due to impairment in pancreatic endocrine function related to pancreatic exocrine damage due to acute, relapsing and chronic pancreatitis (of any etiology), cystic fibrosis, hemochromatosis, pancreatic cancer, and pancreatectomy, and as well rare causes such as neonatal diabetes due to pancreatic agenesis (1). Prevalence data on T3cDM are scarce because of insufficient research in this area and challenges with accurate diabetes classification in clinical practice.

In ordinary terms, damage to pancreas through, accident, illness, operation or genetic disposition, we are often misdiagnosed as type 1 as we are insulin dependant, we can go hypo/hyper for no reason.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm T2 on insulin, can any T3c diabetic tell me symptoms and diagnostic criteria?

Reactions: jason134
M

mrspuddleduck

Thank you @Shar67! @eddie1968 , type 3c never occurs in isolation it is always part of a wider group of pancreatic problems that effect both the exocrine and endocrine systems due to the extensive damage (or death to the pancreas). In type 1, the beta cells are damaged/destroyed but in type 3c it is both the beta cells and the alpha cells (liver) that are involved meaning there is no 'safety net' hence the sudden rises and falls in blood sugars for no apparent reason. This is quite a good linkhttp://www.pancreapedia.org/reviews/pancreatogenic-type-3c-diabetes

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you @Shar67! @eddie1968 , type 3c never occurs in isolation it is always part of a wider group of pancreatic problems that effect both the exocrine and endocrine systems due to the extensive damage (or death to the pancreas). In type 1, the beta cells are damaged/destroyed but in type 3c it is both the beta cells and the alpha cells (liver) that are involved meaning there is no 'safety net' hence the sudden rises and falls in blood sugars for no apparent reason. This is quite a good linkhttp://www.pancreapedia.org/reviews/pancreatogenic-type-3c-diabetes
Thanks, will read up on this

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Hi! Assuming I'm 3c as my insulin dependant diabetes is due to a pancreatectomy at 13....???

Reactions: Oualid Samah
M

mrspuddleduck

Hi! Assuming I'm 3c as my insulin dependant diabetes is due to a pancreatectomy at 13....???

If it was a while ago, you may have been told you were a type 2, it appears 'we' were only called 3Cs relatively recently (which is another reason why many docs have never heard if it). Are you on the Creon regime too?

Last edited:

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
I only had part of my pancreas (tail)removed so only ended up needing insulin. Was told I may need digestive supplements but was lucky enough I think!

Reactions: jason134

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Out of curiosity what is Creon regime?? Google didn't help!

M

mrspuddleduck

Out of curiosity what is Creon regime?? Google didn't help!

Most type 3Cs have significant endocrine deficiency so can not/ or struggle with the break down of food due to the lack of pancreatic enzymes. Creon is basically pigs enzymes which replace the ones that we can't produce. In severe cases there is often mal-absorbtion which can cause additional problems with controlling the diabetes. Long term many type 3Cs are high risk of developing additional conditions related to dietry insufficiency such as osteoporosis, pernicious anaemia etc.

Reactions: rosalindp
M

mrspuddleduck

I only had part of my pancreas (tail)removed so only ended up needing insulin. Was told I may need digestive supplements but was lucky enough I think!
Believe me you would know! Three weeks after I developed the exocrine insufficiency, my weight had dropped to less than 6 stone!! Seriously if you only had part of your pancreas removed, its quite likely your remaining pancreas will happily produce the enzymes you need. Don't forget I'm not a doctor so I can't diagnose but I would guess you are a type 2 at the moment. 3C diabetes never happens in isolation, there are always other pancreatic function issues evident. Many people who become diabetic due to chronic pancreatitis or partial pancreatic removal are type 2

Last edited:

tfishuk

I guess that I am type 3c since most of my pancreas was removed due to acute pancreatitis caused by gall stones. I take Creon with all meals also. My consultant said I was type 1.5 so I'm confused. I am of course insulin dependant and am fortunate to have an insulin pump which makes life so much easier.

Emma1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hiya! I was classed as not type 2 nor type 1, someone here said we are type 1.5, but I have never heard of it before it was mentioned here.... If you search type 1.5 on this forum I am sure we have something set up for us under new classifications.

Good luck x

Emma1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I guess that I am type 3c since most of my pancreas was removed due to acute pancreatitis caused by gall stones. I take Creon with all meals also. My consultant said I was type 1.5 so I'm confused. I am of course insulin dependant and am fortunate to have an insulin pump which makes life so much easier.
Hiya, your situation sounds similar to mine, type 1.5 is relatively new. I am lucky I don't need any Creon right now, but I am told my pancreatic function is diminishing rapidly (probably due to being treated as type 2 incorrectly for too long). As part of your pancreas is working still, they probably won't class you as other than type 2 (weird I know).