Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Tisme08

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Fiona here from Perth Western Australia.
Diagnosed 2011 Type 2 and I have lousy control managing my diabetes. :)
I am 55, divorced with 3 grown up lads.
I have 2 cats. I am a shift worker and do 12 hours shift this plays havoc with my control of my blood sugars as meal times are eractic.
I am on Janumet 50mg/1000mg twice a day. Doctor added 1000mg Metformin 1 x daily.( I am not taking the additional Metformin)
This morning my reading was 11.1. This is still too high but considering my morning reads were generally mid 14's I am happier, sometimes my readings are in the mid 9's. I have recently started taking chromium and I think this is helping.
I also don't take statins and have a level of 6.9, this has come down from 7.4.
I love this site and the forums and have been a lurker for a wee while :)

Reactions: 2 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi,
Fiona here from Perth Western Australia.
Diagnosed 2011 Type 2 and I have lousy control managing my diabetes. :)
I am 55, divorced with 3 grown up lads.
I have 2 cats. I am a shift worker and do 12 hours shift this plays havoc with my control of my blood sugars as meal times are eractic.
I am on Janumet 50mg/1000mg twice a day. Doctor added 1000mg Metformin 1 x daily.( I am not taking the additional Metformin)
This morning my reading was 11.1. This is still too high but considering my morning reads were generally mid 14's I am happier, sometimes my readings are in the mid 9's. I have recently started taking chromium and I think this is helping.
I also don't take statins and have a level of 6.9, this has come down from 7.4.
I love this site and the forums and have been a lurker for a wee while :)

Hi Fiona. What about diet? Have you tried cutting out high carb foods? It's what's making the difference for me, and recording my grub and my readings forces me to stay in control. Paul

clara280114

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
- Which country are you from?
- Which city/area do you live in?
- Are you religious?
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
- Do you get angry easily?
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Which countries have you visited?
- Favourite city?
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?

Have fun!

sugarbaby2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1448869491.950954.jpg

What is your name? Hi, My name is Beverly
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? U.S.A. but live in NZ now.
- Which city/area do you live in? Tauranga
- Are you religious? No, spiritual :)
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Witty, Funny, Charming
- Do you have any pets? A cat called Angel
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Do you get angry easily? No, except where it concerns mistreatment of Women, Children, Animals, Environment etc.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? I have nine ear piercings on each ear :D
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Journey, Foreigner, Take That, Within Temptation, and anything 70s-80s pop.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? See question above :D
- What is your favourite flag? USA
- Ever gone camping? yes, it wasn't a great experience lol
- Ever been in love? I still am
- Ever used fake tan? No, orange isn't a becoming color on me :D
- Which countries have you visited? Canada, Iceland, UK, Australia, NZ, Fiji, USA
- Favourite city? San Fransisco
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Chase, Food Network, History, National Geographic
- List your five favourite films. The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Divinci Code, Gladiator, Fried Green Tomatoes.
- Are you wealthy? I'm wealthy in a lot of ways, besides money
- Do you work? If so, as what? I'm a full time artist
- What do you like most about yourself? My smile
- What do you like least about yourself? My perfectionism

Mumeeka

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How old are you? 41
- Which country are you from? Uk
- Which city/area do you live in? Southend
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality? .loving, generous, honest
- Do you have any pets? 2 dogs, mimi & ziggi
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? NA
- Do you get angry easily? Depends...
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Both, 18 tattoo's, ears & tongue peirced
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. I like all music
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Pop
- What is your favourite flag? NA
- Ever gone camping? For years until i got ill
- Ever been in love? Oh yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Portugal
- Favourite city? New york
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Im a celebrity, eastenders, coronation st
- List your five favourite films. Too many to choose
- Are you wealthy? Sadly no
- Do you work? No im disabled
- What do you like most about yourself?Personality
- What do you like least about yourself? Care too much,im fat!

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
My name is Mike.
As you can see I'm getting on a bit. 80 plus. But I do not intend to let go yet as there is too much to do. But I am frustrated at being diagnosed as t2 last month as I thought I could go on for ever.
I love classical music, opera, symphonic, choral, etc but also Queen and that ilk.
I spent my early adult life in the Royal Engineers, (16 years to be precise). Then went into teaching building Construction at several colleges in London and the South East.
I am Christian by inclination but Let Live to most other beliefs.
As for TV--- Most police/crime programmes, Time Team, and reality shows. Don't go to the flicks now as I have difficulty hearing.
I am married to the same beautiful girl I met in 1950. Have four children and numerous great and grand children.
I have traveled a bit, Spain,Portugal, Italy Malta, Gib, Tunisia, Greece, Bahamas, USA, Malaya. Went to Scotland once, Edinborough. (Had a great time at the festival.)
Camping. No thanks. I had too many bad experiences in my army days.
What do I do now ? Read a lot, listen to music, do a little gardening, watch the world go bye and spend too much time on my laptop.(Microsoft). Usually cursing it.
Being told "you have type 2 diabetes". was a very recent kick in the teeth and I have yet to get over it.:eek:
If anyone reads this, Have a Great Christmas.;)

Reactions: 6 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
My name is Mike.
As you can see I'm getting on a bit. 80 plus. But I do not intend to let go yet as there is too much to do. But I am frustrated at being diagnosed as t2 last month as I thought I could go on for ever.
I love classical music, opera, symphonic, choral, etc but also Queen and that ilk.
I spent my early adult life in the Royal Engineers, (16 years to be precise). Then went into teaching building Construction at several colleges in London and the South East.
I am Christian by inclination but Let Live to most other beliefs.
As for TV--- Most police/crime programmes, Time Team, and reality shows. Don't go to the flicks now as I have difficulty hearing.
I am married to the same beautiful girl I met in 1950. Have four children and numerous great and grand children.
I have traveled a bit, Spain,Portugal, Italy Malta, Gib, Tunisia, Greece, Bahamas, USA, Malaya. Went to Scotland once, Edinborough. (Had a great time at the festival.)
Camping. No thanks. I had too many bad experiences in my army days.
What do I do now ? Read a lot, listen to music, do a little gardening, watch the world go bye and spend too much time on my laptop.(Microsoft). Usually cursing it.
Being told "you have type 2 diabetes". was a very recent kick in the teeth and I have yet to get over it.:eek:
If anyone reads this, Have a Great Christmas.;)
Hello Mike pea,welcome,you certainly have been around a bit ,this is a great forum for good advice and encouragement so have a good read and @daisy1 will give you the info for new posters,clive

kieranmowen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
- What is your name? Kieran

- How old are you? 33

- Are you male or female? Male

- Which country are you from? UK

- Which city/area do you live in? Witham, Essex

- Are you religious? No not really but I do respect other people’s religions.

- Pick three words to describe your personality. Caring, Passionate and Moody

- Do you have any pets? Yes I have 4 cats

- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft, all the way.

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? I like to go fishing but not really as a sport more for relaxation.

- Do you get angry easily? Yes I do, however I experience all emotions in a heightened form to the average person due to suffering with emotionally unstable personality disorder (BPD)

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? I have a small tattoo of Betty Boop on my left upper arm.

- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Kenny Rogers, Adele, Josh Groban, Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler

- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Probably West End/Broadway

- What is your favourite flag? I can’t say I have ever really thought about it

- Ever gone camping? Yes I spent a lot of time during my childhood and teen years camping.

- Ever been in love? Yes!

- Ever used fake tan? No!

- Which countries have you visited? Scotland, Wales, France

- Favourite city? Paris

- List your five favourite TV programmes. Emmerdale, Strictly Come Dancing, Britain’s Got Talent, Doctor Who, Jeckle and Hyde.

- List your five favourite films. Rocky Horror Picture Show, Chicago, Dorian Gray, Les Miserable, The Day After Tomorrow.

- Are you wealthy? Yes I am, I do not have a lot in the way of money or material possessions but I have a very supportive family who are always there for me no matter what.

- Do you work? No I do not, due to mental health problems but I am a carer for my Mum.

- List the subjects you study/have studied: Music, Child Care, Health and Social Care.

- What do you like most about yourself? I try to be a kind helpful person who can be there for others when needed.

- What do you like least about yourself? I dislike my mental health issues and the effect they have on those around me. And I really hate my constant battle with my weight.

Louba84

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name? Anna
- How old are you? 31
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Bristol
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Funny, caring, stubborn
- Do you have any pets? Yes
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Hockey
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Yes many
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. UB40, Chakka Demus, The Prodigy, Limp Bizkit, Foo fighters
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Mixture depending on the mood.
- What is your favourite flag? Skull and cross bones
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Still am
- Ever used fake tan? Once and never again
- Which countries have you visited? Wales...
- Favourite city? Cardiff
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Don't watch much tbh
- List your five favourite films. City of angels, mad max, clinic, tron, avatar
- Are you wealthy? Depends what u mean money nope, life Yes.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Jack ofall trades here.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. The usual
- What do you like most about yourself? My strength
- What do you like least about yourself? My feet

Have fun!

Jankiff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Brexit, stupid TV ads. Bogus accident claims companies who cold call on the ‘phone,
Hello, I am Jan and have just renewed my membership. I couldn't pick up my previous membership as it was via a wannadoo email address which no longer exists. I was a working wife when I used to come on this forum before. I am now a retired widow. Age 68. So my life has changed a lot. I was diagnosed T2 about 11 years ago and while I was working my Hba1c remained at 6.3 for 6 years. When my husband suddenly died I just let go of things. After just over a year I got a little dog, then another, both rescues. To take for long walks. Then, just under two years ago I developed polymyalgia rheumatica and a skin problem which has only just been diagnosed as Bullous Pemphigoid. The treatment for both is prednisolone, a corticosteroid. I had tapered from 20 to 2.5 mg as the pmr improved. Initially the BP "disappeared" but came roaring back last January and it took until July to get a referral to a dermatologist 1st appointment beginning September then tests then 2nd appointment and a name for it, last Friday. He said I have to go very low carb so I am turning to the experts. BP is horrible and damages the quality of life. My husband would have applied the ointment to those hard to reach places for me, and that is one more thing on a long list of why I miss the dear man. That's it, really. I am normally a cheerful person but have to work at it. I had 113.5 g carb yesterday and my lowest reading was 6.7. My highest was 13.

Tisme08

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Fiona. What about diet? Have you tried cutting out high carb foods? It's what's making the difference for me, and recording my grub and my readings forces me to stay in control. Paul
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the advice:) I don't eat a lot of carbs and I mostly cook from scratch. Things have slightly improved with better fasting readings. Overall I feel really well, no mood swings or rapid weight loss or gain. I am very aware of how I feel and take note of that. If I have managed to injure myself I still heal quite quickly. I have added a multivitamin to my pill intake, maybe that has made the slight difference. I have been down the path of recording my food. I am grateful that my readings are not sky rocketing out of control despite still being too high, seems to have stabilized for the moment.

Reactions: 4 people

terryhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi my name is Terry, I am a 62 year old male with T2 for about 5/6 years. I live in Wigan (hub of the universe)
I have been watching DB uk since October and I think most of the people are fantastic I have learned so much
From all of you and am so greatfull keep up the great work and thanks again.

Reactions: 6 people

terryhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 2

- What is your name? Terry Hudson
- How old are you? 62
- Which city/area do you live in? Wigan
- Are you religious? Used to be
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Nuts,Good natured,Helpful
- Do you have any pets? No. But my son has a Tegu (large lizard) named Barney
- Microsoft or Apple?Both
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Martial Arts, Rugby League
- Do you get angry easily?Try not to anymore
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Most rock bands
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock
- What is your favourite flag? White
- Ever gone camping? No
- Ever been in love? Still am
- Ever used fake tan? No but my grandson's girlfriend showers in it (I think)
- Which countries have you visited? USA,Tunisa,France,Croatia
- Favourite city? Wigan (haha)
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Blacklist,ElementaryHawaii five-0,NCIS (all series)
- List your five favourite films. Any action films
- Are you wealthy? Poorer than a church mouse
- Do you work? If so, as what? No, Used to work Man Airport Security
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Life
- What do you like most about yourself? Nothing much
- What do you like least about yourself? Being a pain in the bum when I'm depressed

Have fun!

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!

Sammiexx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1450181299.318478.jpg

- What is your name?
Samantha but prefer Sammie

- How old are you?

Female

Australia

Perth

- Are you religious?
Nope

Joker, bubbly, hungry

- Do you have any pets?
Two dogs and a cat (my babies )

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple

Horse riding soccer netball

Too easily

I have belly, lip and ears pierced and a tattoo on my collarbone/shoulder

The prodigy, Eminem, hilltop hoods, bliss n Eso and anything like showtek

Rap/hip hop/bassy songs

? Australian

- Ever gone camping?
Of course I'm Australian

- Ever been in love?
Yeah going strong still :)

- Ever used fake tan?
Yeah

Bali-Indonesia

- Favourite city?
Bali/Queensland

Misfits; neighbours

Maleficent, my girl 1&2, bring it on (all)

- Are you wealthy?
Hell no lol

Full time sleeper/eater :) (in search of work)

Idk lol

My eyes and hair

My low self esteem and body/diabetes

Reactions: 4 people

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name? John
- How old are you? 54
- Which city/area do you live in? South Bucks
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. High. Functioning. Alcoholic
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Like rugby/cricket/snooker.
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Nick Cave/Leonard Cohen/Lera Lynn/British Sea Power/I Like Trains
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Anything miserable
- What is your favourite flag? Huh?
- Ever gone camping? Lots
- Ever been in love? Yep
- Ever used fake tan? Nope
- Which countries have you visited? Lots
- Favourite city? don't like cities much
- List your five favourite TV programmes. can't
- List your five favourite films. Just 5? Too hard
- Are you wealthy? I get by
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, chemist in industrial R&D
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Chemistry. Well, it was alchemy in those days.
- What do you like most about yourself? my mind
- What do you like least about yourself? the other bits

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
- Include a photo here if you wish to.View attachment 16734

- What is your name?
Samantha but prefer Sammie

- How old are you?

Female

Australia

Perth

- Are you religious?
Nope

Joker, bubbly, hungry

- Do you have any pets?
Two dogs and a cat (my babies )

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple

Horse riding soccer netball

Too easily

I have belly, lip and ears pierced and a tattoo on my collarbone/shoulder

The prodigy, Eminem, hilltop hoods, bliss n Eso and anything like showtek

Rap/hip hop/bassy songs

? Australian

- Ever gone camping?
Of course I'm Australian

- Ever been in love?
Yeah going strong still :)

- Ever used fake tan?
Yeah

Bali-Indonesia

- Favourite city?
Bali/Queensland

Misfits; neighbours

Maleficent, my girl 1&2, bring it on (all)

- Are you wealthy?
Hell no lol

Full time sleeper/eater :) (in search of work)

Idk lol

My eyes and hair

My low self esteem and body/diabetes
All welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful

My_cream_aga

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello my name is Sheree and this is the first time I have joined a forum.
I am 54 married with three grown up sons. I first became a diabetic when I was eleven so as you will know I am type 1.
The treatment for diabetes has charged so much from when I first got diagnosed, testing blood sugars was nothing like it is now, I used to have a small plastic box like thing and in it was a test tube, a dropper and a bottle of tablets. The idea was you had to wee in the lid take the dropper and put so many drops of wee into the test tube , rinse it out then fill with water and add so many drops of water to the test tube then drop one of the tablets in, this used it fizz then a colour would develope, you had a chart with colours on it ranging from a mustard colour through to various shades of green then a dark blue. Once the fizz had stopped you would look at the test tube and hold it up,to the colour to,see what it matched, if it was the mustard colour that meant it was 2% which meant you were very over sugared, then the colours went up the chart to,dark blue which meant you had 0% sugar, but of course youmhadmno,idea how low your sugar was.
The hospital I was under at the time loaned me the first blood testing machine which was the size a the old cassette players we used to,have it was so big, my grandad thought this was an amazing piece of equipment so he bought me now which cost around £100, this is a lot of money today but 43 years ago it was even more, this completely changed my life.
I have experienced many many things with diabetes over the years, I,have had severe hypos three children, was a gym instructor and so much more, I don't claim to,be an expert but after 43 years I do,know a fair bit about it , if I can help anyone in anyway I would be more than pleased to try. I have had stays in hospital in the past and although I have a great respect for our doctors and nurses I do believe no one knows diabetes like the diabetic , how do,you make someone understand what a mild hypo feels like let alone a severe one, how can you make someone understand how high sugars can make you feel so unwell.
If you fancy a chat please let me know.
All the best.

Reactions: 8 people

Nariman_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Nariman 31 and newly diagnosed with pre diabet. I live in center of middle east, Iran and doing my Ph.d degree in biology.I'm travelholic and have visited most parts of my country as well as Turkey, Dubai, Iraq, Portugal, Spain and South Africa.I will go to France and Malaysia soon as well. I'm into volleyball but used to play football. Religion is a private issue and there is no need to make a word about it here but I'm not religious person at all. My aim to be here is to find some people like me, share our knowledge on diabetes and enjoy being together.