What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuna salad on half a HP roll, baby bel , sugar free jelly, chicken wrapped in bacon with cauliflower cheese

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're in an interesting situation at the mo.
Staying in Norfolk self catering cottage, with Mr B and our 2 dogs.
Which has curious implications on diet for the week.

Breakfast is easy. Coffeencream or bacon and eggs. Cooked in cottage. Lovely.

Dinner also easy although this oven is a challenge! We have had ready meal moussake and bacon wrapped chicken breasts, a diy curry and salmon and salad. All veg microwaved. Desserts of good choc or berries and cream.

Lunch is the tricky one.
We never leave the hounds in the car, so the place has to be dog friendly. This is the priority. Which rather limits the choices... So it is a case of picking a LC option, if possible, and eating carbs, if not. We then follow i with a brisk ramble to reduce bg impact...

Yesterday was steak pie with salad and chips. Today was haddock and chips with salad. The result is that i am starting to feel achy and 'not well'. Tomorrow, i think i may prefer a low carb shop from a supermarket, because a 3rd day could leave me feeling dreadful.

I console myself that i won't develop complications from a few days of 1 high carb meal a day, and i will be so glad to return to my trusted home food choices that there will be no problem getting back on the LC wagon!

Reactions: 10 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B Berries (from frozen), chia seeds, coconut milk, butter, coconut oil, tsp xylitol, microwaved 3 mins, double cream added
L Soup from leftover veg casserole whizzed with tomato stock cube & water. Almond flour bun with cambozola
D Boned rolled shoulder of lamb roasted with celeriac chips, steamed butternut squash & leeks, gravy thickened with 2 tsp buckwheat flour. I rolled the lamb up with some onion, garlic & rosemary in it, rubbed it with salt & since I haven't got any string I wrapped it in foil before it could fall apart again.
S Will be peanut butter & cocoa mug cake also with double cream. I'm really addicted to these.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Fasting - after two bugs in three weeks (one respiratory and one gastric) my bg has been constantly in the very latest 5s to late 6s/early 7s and I knew a day of fasting would put it right. And it has. :)

Reactions: 4 people

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B : Greek yoghurt, raspberries, chopped up square of 90% Lindt choc, pecans, Truvia, double cream

L : avocado and smoked salmon

D : beef and mushrooms in red wine, courgettes fried with garlic and butter

S : pork scratchings
Hi, are yours The Posh Pork Scratchings? I've never seen them in shops and have learnt from this Forum The Posh ones are from Waiterose, I wonder where yours are bought? I can buy them from a Butchers near me, but they are horrible, I binned then after trying 2. There must be lovely ones about because I read that people love them. Does anyone make their own, I wonder?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 2 eggs n cream

L: cheesecake slice, coffee n cream

D: steak, 2 eggs, broccoli, cauliflour, cheese sauce, sf L&P

S: cheese, ham, peanuts, coffee n cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, are yours The Posh Pork Scratchings? I've never seen them in shops and have learnt from this Forum The Posh ones are from Waiterose, I wonder where yours are bought? I can buy them from a Butchers near me, but they are horrible, I binned then after trying 2. There must be lovely ones about because I read that people love them. Does anyone make their own, I wonder?

Google is your friend.

I have bought from Amazon, but always search carefully for the best deal.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
B. 1 slice Burgen toast & cheese
L. 4x chipolata 97% meat, 2x fried eggs
D. Salmon fillet in chilli marinade, eggs scrambled with peppers& onions
S. Cubes cheese, almonds, walnut halves

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All week has been:
Yoghurt, soup yoghurt, soup
I have a viral gastritis.
Can't even face coffee.
Craved digestive biscuits all day today. Caved in and bought some. Had 2 with a cup of tea. :(

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds like the bug I had. Did your tummy reject the digestive bullies about 30 seconds after you ate them? You're lucky to have managed yoghurt. :( :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All week has been:
Yoghurt, soup yoghurt, soup
I have a viral gastritis.
Can't even face coffee.
Craved digestive biscuits all day today. Caved in and bought some. Had 2 with a cup of tea. :(

You poor thing! I hate bugs like this, and low carb food isn't the easiest to make tummy friendly.

When you start to feel better, eggs are good. And you are already on soup. Low carb hot choc may help too.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You poor thing! I hate bugs like this, and low carb food isn't the easiest to make tummy friendly.

When you start to feel better, eggs are good. And you are already on soup. Low carb hot choc may help too.

Get well, soon,.....don't go rushing off to the Black Friday Sales! Seriously, pamper yourself as soon as you feel well enough.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Back to eating again. My reading has been between 4.3 and 5.4 today so yesterday's fast did the trick.

Today:

Breakfast: 4 very nice chipolata sausages and black coffee
Lunch: Forgot!
Dinner: Chicken breast curry (using a sachet of Holy Cow Tonka masala sauce which is quite low carb) some roasted cumin aubergine cubes and some cauliflower rice
Supper (if needed): Half a Lidl Protein Roll with taramasalata

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm trying out eating within an 8 hour window today then fasting for 16. I feel like I've stalled on the weightloss and my bloods seem to be stuck at high 6 to 8 or 9s despite keeping the carbs below 40g per day.

breakfast at 10am: raspberries, Greek yoghurt, flaxseed, coffee with cream
lunch at 1pm: leftover mashed cauliflower and broccoli with a piece of chorizo and some cheese
snack at 3pm: one slice of Burgen with butter and reduced salt marmite, cup of tea with milk, piece of dark chocolate
Dinner at 5pm: grilled salmon, salad (lettuce, baby kale, cucumber, tomatoes) mayonnaise

Drinks: one coffee with cream, one tea with milk, one camomile tea (later at the cinema), a litre or so of water so far

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My weight loss stopped when my BG started slowly drifting up (about 3 weeks ago) which coincided with me stopping having a fast day once a week - which is why I had a fast day yesterday.

There is definitely some connection between low bg readings and weight loss as I find if I can keep the bg down to good numbers the weight comes off no matter whether I'm eating loads of calories or not. It's just getting those numbers to stay down which is my challenge. I've had days when I've only eaten 9g of carbs and my BG has still stayed at 6+ all day. Bloomin' annoying. I think I need to regularly do a one day fast each week. I feel so much better for it.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My weight loss stopped when my BG started slowly drifting up (about 3 weeks ago) which coincided with me stopping having a fast day once a week - which is why I had a fast day yesterday.

There is definitely some connection between low bg readings and weight loss as I find if I can keep the bg down to good numbers the weight comes off no matter whether I'm eating loads of calories or not. It's just getting those numbers to stay down which is my challenge. I've had days when I've only eaten 9g of carbs and my BG has still stayed at 6+ all day. Bloomin' annoying. I think I need to regularly do a one day fast each week. I feel so much better for it.

Do you do a full 24 hour fast or the 16:8 one or some other variant, @Chook ?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This time I did a fellow 24 hour fast. Not as hard as it sounds once you get your head around that the feeling of hunger passes after a few minutes.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 2eggs n cream, scrambled

L: cheese, cheesecake slice, coffee n cream

D: mince with sour cream, broccoli, cauliflour, cheese sauce

S: cheese, coffee, peanuts, LC cheesecake, McDs double cheeseburger, no bun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
L: another pub lunch, with chips :rolleyes:
But absolutely no regrets! They were, quite possibly, the best chips EVER. Big, fat, golden, with crunchy translucent corners and that perfect quality that kept their succulence right to the end of the meal. Divine.
D: will be chicken breasts with assorted veg and a coyo.