Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Anyone seen this?

Sounds pretty good.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...as-scientists-restore-insulin-production.html

If it's blocking you this is the gist of it:

"The end of daily injections for diabetes sufferers could be in sight after scientists showed it is possible to restore insulin production for up to a year by boosting the immune system.

Hundreds of thousands of people in Britain suffer from Type 1 diabetes and need to inject themselves daily to keep blood sugar levels under control.

The disease attacks insulin-secreting cells in the pancreas. Healthy people have billions of ‘peacekeeping’ cells called ‘T-regs’ which protect insulin-making cells from the immune system but people suffering Type 1 diabetes do not have enough.

Now researchers at the University of California and Yale have shown that the ‘T-regs’ can be removed from the body, increased by 1,500x in the laboratory and infused back into the bloodstream to restore normal function.

An initial trial of 14 people has shown that the therapy is safe, and can last up to a year."

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 9 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yeah pretty cool if it works.

(Might only take another 20 years to get it approved and marketed)

Reactions: 6 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Great article - but blimey the conversation thread is hilarious !!

Makes me laugh how articles like this attract crack pots who think they are more intelligent than anyone else as well as the 'magic pot cures' and people who cannot distinguish between type 1 and type 2.

I am sure these articles are written for amusement but they certainly do get read more than any other 'medically related' stuff.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone seen this?

Sounds pretty good.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...as-scientists-restore-insulin-production.html

If it's blocking you this is the gist of it:

"The end of daily injections for diabetes sufferers could be in sight after scientists showed it is possible to restore insulin production for up to a year by boosting the immune system.

Hundreds of thousands of people in Britain suffer from Type 1 diabetes and need to inject themselves daily to keep blood sugar levels under control.

The disease attacks insulin-secreting cells in the pancreas. Healthy people have billions of ‘peacekeeping’ cells called ‘T-regs’ which protect insulin-making cells from the immune system but people suffering Type 1 diabetes do not have enough.

Now researchers at the University of California and Yale have shown that the ‘T-regs’ can be removed from the body, increased by 1,500x in the laboratory and infused back into the bloodstream to restore normal function.

An initial trial of 14 people has shown that the therapy is safe, and can last up to a year."

Best

Dillinger

The Times (also behind a pay wall) is also running this article, for those who may have access there, but not to The Telegraph.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This article is great, but raises as many questions as the hope it provides. Namely, how do you regenerate beta cells once you remove the antibodies that kill them...?

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds very interesting. I still live in hope that one of these cures will actually materialise for all of us.

Reactions: 5 people

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sign me Up, I work with a great bunch of people that have all come up with cures for T1. But always up for another!

Reactions: 5 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding of the article is that it is only suitable for recently diagnosed. Is this the case? anyway it is good progress.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My understanding of the article is that it is only suitable for recently diagnosed. Is this the case? anyway it is good progress.
This basically stops the auto immune attack on beta cells. What it doesn't do is identify how to reproduce beta cells if you've already lost a lot. There are a huge number of questions about the second point that have yet to be answered.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
we all can live in hope i suppose :) there will come a time when treatment changes for the better I'm sure,just hopefully its in my lifetime :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Anyhow, I've now read the research paper. And what the press has reported is not strictly what the study achieved or showed. The aim was to prove that extraction, expansion and reinfusion of Regulatory T-Cells with certain characteristics could be safely undertaken. This study proved it could and opens up options for future research.

The study was a phase 1 trial with n=14, which is far too low a number to draw any conclusions from. The metabolic responses of the majority of participants showed a decline in C-peptide levels in line with what is normally observed with the onset of diabetes, and they were unable to determine whether the T-reg infusion would prevent the progression of the autoimmune condition.

I've written a blog post summarising it, but suffice to say it is really bad reporting from all the newspapers involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
There they go again giving false hope to real people..

I wasn't getting too excited as it was for newly diagnosed, but still it's good to hear about research taking place ;)

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
It is quite frustrating as those that want me cured but are not too knowledgeable are overly optimistic and enthusiatic, I felt really mean telling Mum I'd believe it when it is offered to me (and works!).