New to this

Zimbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi my husband was diagnosed with type 2 about a month ago and put on 1 metaformin twice a day, his sugars still jumped from 4 to 18 but i have put him on a very low carb diet (trying to stay below 20g a day) and they seem to have been staying between 6 and 7 for 3 days now and would like to know if he can stop taking the tablets as worried he might dip too low in the evening. Any advice

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He should ask his doctor about this. We can't give that kind of medical advice, it's against forum rules. On the other hand, metformin isn't known to cause any severe hypos so don't worry about that. He may feel hypo on normal readings around 4 if his BG has been high for a while and his body has got used to it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Totto is correct, we can't give that sort of information on here. He must speak to his doctor. He is very unlikely to hypo on Metformin. Only insulin promoting drugs can cause that and Metformin isn't one of those. It is possible he may experience a false hypo symptoms (nothing to do with Metformin) if his blood sugar levels drop below where his body was used to but this will pass and isn't serious.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as he is taking the tablet with or just after food he should be fine

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm continuing to take Metformin even though my readings are in the non diabetic range, and whilst eating 50g or less Carbs and I have never experienced any issues.