Working out the carbohydrate content of food

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a look on the net an also in the different books I have and all give slightly differing amounts (cooked) So the question is which one is right lol ?

I suspect it might differ depending on the potato and whether it's an old or new potato. Perhaps more starch appears at certain times of the year?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my approach has been easier ... I stopped eating potatoes.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd go with the weigh the potato raw and work it out from there. Got to be easier than guessing after cooking!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
According to Collins Gem Calorie Counter

100g weight of Baked potatoes with flesh and skin are 31.7g carb, 3.9g protein, 0.2g fat, 136 calories, 2.7g dietary fibre

Calorie Carb & Fat Bible says 25.2g of carbs per 100g weight :)

Last edited by a moderator:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
US Dept of Agriculture nutrient database says 17.49 grams carb per 100g raw potato and skin, of which fibre is 2.1grams, so total net carbs 15.5 g per 100g. Cf baked potatoes below.

That's my preferred database of authority. I subtract the fibre from the carb figure and input the result into my Carbs & Cals phone app, under 'My Foods'.

While I'm at it, I might as well say that for working out cooked meals, I find Cook & Count very wonderful.

Oh, and also that the various carb counts never quite agree. But they're in the same ballpark, and life's too short. And how do we know we have the archetypal pear, etc. It 's a guide.

USDA baked potato.png

Last edited by a moderator: