Injecting into leg

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
does it take longer for the insulin to react when injecting into the leg? I had some food and injected more than enough because I was already high and my levels having continued to raise. Not sure whether to do a correction dosage...don't know if it's just taking a while

Cassandra13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had this issue too with my short acting insulin in my leg. I dont know if it because the depth the needle needs to go in might be different because of more muscle mass??? I do notice that if I inject in my leg and then exercise I have horrible lows, maybe the insulin is getting too close to muscle?.... I will never make that mistake again!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's said that insulin works fastest in the following order: Stomach, Arms, Legs & lastly in the Bum.

@L3wisr, do you have the book Think Like a Pancreas? The author discusses injection timing and gives an idea what time scale you should inject ahead if your bg levels are already high.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
does it take longer for the insulin to react when injecting into the leg? I had some food and injected more than enough because I was already high and my levels having continued to raise. Not sure whether to do a correction dosage...don't know if it's just taking a while

That has happened to me as well, took a correction dose and it went up ! but can't remember whether I used my leg or not. You could try a small correction dose of another 1 unit and just keep testing to see if you are dropping at a reasonable level or staying the same. If you are concerned that things are not going how they should be, ring 111 and get some medical advice.
Take care and good luck.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strange. I find my insulin is at "optimum performance" bolusing with less chances regarding errors in post meal BGs when injecting into my legs...

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the leg is a new injection zone for you I think you'll just need to go through some trial and error until you work out how long it takes to kick in etc.

I inject all my NovoRapid into my abdomen because I know exactly how it works - i.e. for me , it takes about 20 to 30 mins to start working and is at its peak action at about 1.5 hours. For me, it's pretty much exhausted by the 3 hour mark ... so I know that if I'm still high at that stage it's safe to inject more without any concern about "stacking".

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hank you for all your replies, I checked 30 minutes after this post and it had gone down a few levels so I just left it and woke up at 5.3.
I have seen that book mentioned a few times @noblehead ill have a quick look to see if I can buy one now.

I tend to inject my morning novo and lantus into my legs and lunch/tea in my stomach but I thought to mix it up a little bit (leg doesn't hurt as much) and it confused me haha.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's said that insulin works fastest in the following order: Stomach, Arms, Legs & lastly in the Bum.

@L3wisr, do you have the book Think Like a Pancreas? The author discusses injection timing and gives an idea what time scale you should inject ahead if your bg levels are already high.
Agreed

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Best to avoid injections in the leg,insulin uses up faster when injecting into leg muscles.stick to arms,stomach and buttocks

rachael2283

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If mine acts up I change my insulin cartridge and usually that resolves it. I only inject into my legs as I get bad stomach aches if I inject into my tummy.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I always try to pinch a little bit of skin beforehand.

I rarely inject into the leg because I recall being told something about it but not sure