First HbA1c since starting on a pump.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Received my 1st HbA1c since starting on a pump 6 month ago,very pleased with the result of 5.0.Very similar to my MDI results but 70% less "hypo's""and 42% less insulin.

Reactions: 15 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thanks noblehead,I might treat myself to a blowout this Christmas with the rest of the family,first time in many years,thanks to my pump.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
That's a fantastic result yingtong, well done.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi novorapdboi 26,my last one before going on the pump was 4.9,but have lost my "hypo" awareness,hence I was approved for a pump and CGM,but I would give them up to be able to get my "hypo" awareness back.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi novorapdboi 26,my last one before going on the pump was 4.9,but have lost my "hypo" awareness,hence I was approved for a pump and CGM,but I would give them up to be able to get my "hypo" awareness back.

Thats a shame about the hypo awareness..........I hope it starts to come back....maybe need a higher HbA1c though....lol.....

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi novorapidboi 26 I've tried many ways to get it back including running my b/s at 10 for 4 months,which made me quite ill as I don't tolerate high b/s very well.My Endo said it's because I have been on insulin for so long,I've been type 1 for nearly 54 years.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
great result yingtong 70% less hypos is a brilliant thing and may well help getting your awareness back

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I was approved for a pump and CGM,but I would give them up to be able to get my "hypo" awareness back.
From my perspective, you seem to have it "bass ackwards". It's not an either/or sort of thing.

While I realize there are no guarantees, the best way to possibly reclaim your hypo awareness is to stop having hypos and instead stay in your target range as much as possible. In other words apply the Goldie Locks rule — "not too low and not too high, but just right". :oops: And having a pump & CGM are currently one of the better ways to achieve that. No?

My feeling is that the choice is not between hypo awareness and the tools. The goal is to use the tools to more consistently achieve a normal Blood Glucose profile and one of the potential side benefits of doing that might be to (eventually) recover your hypo awareness.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi irrational John,your post is very true,I personally think what I have got is about is good as it get and I am quite happy with that and will do as I have I have always done and try an maintain my blood/glucose as near to normal as I possibly can.I also believe this is how I have survived so long with this pain in the **** disease.Prior to getting a pump I tried for 3 years to regain my "hypo" awareness without any success but life goes on as does my fight against this disease that we all have got.Onwards and upwards.

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's superb (note to self: must try harder!). I think I want a CGM now.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just wanted to add my well done to you !!
fab !!!!!!!:)