Is almond flour just another name for ground almonds?

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also always use ground almonds and find them good enough. Apparently, the true almond flour is finer, but I never saw it on sale in the shops.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good. I've got a big bag of ground almonds in the cupboard. I've always used those when I've made a chocolate cake that substitutes flour for almonds and a desertspoon of cornflour. Unfortunately that has quite a bit of sugar in it, otherwise I could still have cake!!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good. I've got a big bag of ground almonds in the cupboard. I've always used those when I've made a chocolate cake that substitutes flour for almonds and a desertspoon of cornflour. Unfortunately that has quite a bit of sugar in it, otherwise I could still have cake!!
I have replaced sugar with xylitol for the very rare occasions that I bake a cake, it seems to work and no-one (from friends & family who don't eat LC) has complained yet!

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it a similar consistency to sugar, ie unlike artificial sweeteners which are really light? Would you use like for like in a recipe, 200g of xylitol in place of 200g of sugar?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just whizz ground almonds through a blender again to make them finer if recipes say almond flour. Got a nifty little blender from Kenwood that is a Delia cheat gadget and is brilliant for chopping up nuts etc.. Does the ground almonds into a finer texture too.

Reactions: 2 people

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's some info on almond flour: https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works...-flour-baking-with-coconut-flour-almond-flour

I've used some ground almond to make walnut scones from the Xpert book. They come out quite dense and solid (useful as a hockey puck I would imagine) but they're tasty. I used Xylitol as the sweetener which has the same texture as sugar. I also added some psyllium husks to give them some extra fibre.

I haven't used coconut flour but it's significantly cheaper in my local health food shop so might try that next time.