T1 Diagnosed 2 days ago - so sad

Kerouac's_cat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

I'm 33 and was diagnosed 2 days ago with T1.

I feel overwhelmed and incredibly panicked. I'm scared of the future and the possible complications associated with T1.

I don't know what I need right now or why I'm posting but I am struggling to keep it together.

Agh.

Rob

Reactions: 2 people

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I'm 33 and was diagnosed 2 days ago with T1.

I feel overwhelmed and incredibly panicked. I'm scared of the future and the possible complications associated with T1.

I don't know what I need right now or why I'm posting but I am struggling to keep it together.

Agh.

Rob

Take a deep breath............You'll be fine! Promise :)

You should be offered a DAFNE course sometime soon which will help you with carb counting. In the interim try this http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/ It's an online course similar to the Dafne.

Any learning is good. Ask questions on here and at your GP's or diabetic clinic. There are some far more
knowledgeable people around here than me who can answer you.

Complications usually arise from badly controlled diabetes so learning good control will help.

I'm sure some one else will be along soon unless everyone is black Friday shopping ;)

Take care, Pat

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't panic, feeling overwhelmed is normal and to be expected. The future isn't that much different than it was 3 days ago.

Your Diabetes care team should and will help you out and get you back on track. In the mean time this forum is full of wonderful people who will gladly try and help and offer advice and guidence.

I'll tag @daisy1 who will post a great beginners guide.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Don't panic as you can aks any questions on this forum and we'll try to help. Complications normally arise when people don't control their blood sugar well enough. With modern insulin regimes, a good diet etc you can control the blood sugar and avoid future complications.

Kerouac's_cat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone - it means a lot to know other people are here.

I also feel a little clueless about the carb/food situation and am overwhelmed by all the info on the net.

It would be great to have some simple guidance (just to get me started) on how many meals I can have (currently my regime is 1 jab for each of the 3 meals) or how many grams of carb per meal. I am getting really hungry and worry I can't just have 3 meals. My levels have been hanging around 13 since I was diagnosed. I am only 11 stone and have worked out for two years and only ever wanted to gain weight and I don't know if this feeling in my stomach is hunger or fear anymore.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry too much about the finer points of carb counting just yet! given training and further experiance you'll get the hang of it - technically you can eat what you want when you want so long as you cover it with the correct amount of insulin, working that out is best done with your care team, keep a record of test results and food - you can have a go at trying to workout total carbs if you want but I imagine your team have you on a set dose for each meal? and also a slow acting insulin taken once a day? that set dose will be a safe amount based on what you've told them you usually eat, designed to bring your BS down to more acceptable levels until you can self manage your insulin/have training etc.

Kerouac's_cat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks slip.

i'm on 6 units of levemir twice a day (morning/night) and 4 units of novo-rapid (before each meal - only 3 meals!!!!) but i have been given a 'corrections' sheet to put the unit up depending on glucose level.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi and welcome to our exclusive club!-;)

Three meals is so that hopefully they are around 5 hours apart and this will enable you and your health team to see whether your meal injections are enough insulin or not.

Long term wise you will be able to eat pretty much what you want.

At this time you need to be testing and recording your levels before meals and 2 hours after meals. Ideally if you could write down foods etc it would give the health professionals better help.

If you want to eat snacks in between.. Walnuts, brazils, pecans or cashew nuts are good. Plain ones only though. Cheese is an option too.
Or pork scratchings! None of these would adversely affect your levels.

Try to also do a test occasionally about 3am in morning...

You will get there. It is scarey butat least nowadays you can talk to other diabetics via the web that have been through it and the vast majority of us older T1's on forum are in pretty good shape really!!

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Kerouac's_cat.

Understandably your overwhelmed and frightened but it's early days yet, do keep a detailed bg diary and stay in contact with your diabetes team and they will advise you on adjusting your insulin. Also try not to worry about the future as people with diabetes can lead a long and healthy life provided they take care of themselves.

Best wishes.

Kerouac's_cat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Donelly - i feel less 'alone' now than I have been in the last couple of days.

I kind of feel like my body is a ticking time-bomb and I am trying to get a rational understanding of the likely issues and kick out all the nasty implications my imagination is running wild with.

Every mouthful of mash/chicken feels like russian roulette at the moment. Going to eat this wholemeal chicken wrap and then test myself when i get back from the gym and before my final levemir

THANKS

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed aged 40 just over 2 years ago and it's a shock isn't it!
Everything is so overwhelming at first isn't it but I promise you things do get clearer as time goes on particularly with the help of everyone on this forum.
I think the important thing that helped me is just to write everything down, test and list what you've eaten, you think you'll remember but you don't :)
Welcome to the club!
Andrea

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you're off to a great start so far and I mean that sincerely. I'm 27 years old and was diagnosed on September 2nd of this year so in many ways I understand how you're feeling and what you're going through.

1.) The fact that you're worried and scared is a good thing. It means you've acknowledged your diagnosis. Many people can live in denial for years.

2.) You've joined this forum. Becoming a member here was one of the most valuable decisions I've made in addressing my diabetes. There is a wealth of information on here that will help you understand what is happening inside your body and what you can do to control it. There are also thousands of members on here just like you and me that each offer their own unique perspective and want to help as much as they want to learn.

My personal advice on what to do at this point (not to be misunderstood as medical advice):
1.) Start reading- 3 months ago, I didn't know the difference between type 1 and 2. Now, I can speak on a high enough level that you probably couldn't tell if I've had diabetes for 3 months or 25 years. I spend 2-4 hrs every day reading. It may sound excessive, but I've become very passionate about this disease.

2.) Be patient- in my first two weeks after being diagnosed, my average glucose level was around 22. Now, I freak out when it goes above 8. Take your time learning how to manage your carbs and insulin. Soon enough, you'll learn what happens when you over correct with insulin. You'll also find out what happens when you over correct and over correction (it will make sense eventually).

3.) Embrace this life change- obviously, you don't have to be happy about it, but the sooner you accept it as a part of your life the better. Personally, I'm not ashamed, I don't feel sorry for myself, and I'm not embarrassed about it either. There's no reason to be.

4.) Don't scare yourself and read about all the different types of complications- yes, there are complications that can arise and yes you should know what to look for, but you shouldn't scare yourself by reading a bunch of stories about them. With proper control, there's no reason why you would develop any sort of complications from diabetes.

5.) Your doctor shouldn't talk to you. Your doctor should talk WITH YOU- in every one of my doctor visits I have a discussion with my doctors rather than wait for them to tell me what to do. Before each appointment, I prepare questions and ideas to discuss with them. I trust their expert opinion, but I'm the one that has to live with the disease. In most cases, we agree, but when we don't, I want to know why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey :) Welcome to the forum. Don't worry, you will learn everything quickly. Just read this forum and ask as many questions as you need. There are many great people here happy to help.
When you feel rady move to carb counting and you will see that eating doesn't need to feel like Russian roulette:D You can get it all under control (or at least most of it :))

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. Your GP/DN has only just started the insulin and will have probably gone slightly lower than you will be longer term to avoid hypos; that's fine. Over time the DN will help you adjust the Levemir shots to match your body needs and once that is done you can largely set and forget. As others have said over the coming weeks you should be taught to adjust the NovoRapid to the carbs in the meals you want to eat. Initially your DN has suggested a fixed insulin dose and hopefully suggested a typical carb amount. If she hasn't just have a normal meal each time and your meter will start to indicate whether the insulin dose needs to change in the future. The DN should work with you to agree your Rapid insulin ratio to adjust for each meal. There is no hurry on that at present. In the longer term you will find that you can have as many meals as you like and inject where the carbs exceed a certain amount. For example I don't normally inject if I have a 20gm sandwich or piece of fruit. Really the only thing you will need to think about with the insulin is not to go too mad with the carbs as you will be able to match the insulin but you may gain weight; you'll work out what is right for you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I perhaps should have added in my last post that avoiding hypos is very important particularly when driving so regular testing is vital and over time you will achieve the best balance and reduce the risk right down.

Jennystokes82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Snap! Almost. Was taken into hospital Thursday after feeling ill as Id been misdiagnosed as T2 when actually T1. Have been feeling so poorly this last month and glad it's finally being sorted I hope although feel like there is so much to try and learn and understand. Glad to have this site to vent. Hope we can help each other along

FOS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 injections of background insulin a day. and then blood test and inject as much as you need of the fast acting insulin you are using. Be wary of those that suggest running Blood sugar at as near to 5 as you can get its dangerous aim for 10 you'll be fine.
I am on about 7 to 10 jabs a day and at least 10 blood tests you get used to it.

Reactions: 4 people

Kerouac's_cat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Snap! Almost. Was taken into hospital Thursday after feeling ill as Id been misdiagnosed as T2 when actually T1. Have been feeling so poorly this last month and glad it's finally being sorted I hope although feel like there is so much to try and learn and understand. Glad to have this site to vent. Hope we can help each other along
I'm starting to realise how much help it is to talk with people who know

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I'm overwhelmed by the support here. I can't believe how kind people are. It gives me comfort to know I'm not on my own with this.
your never alone here and so sorry to hear your news on the Type1 but its not all bad