Appetite and Metformin

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was finally diagnosed with T2 on Tuesday this week but my doctor did not really know if I will need Metformin something about a level I had of 46 she said the usual starting point for Metformin was 48, Any way I have my first appointment with the DN next Monday and the doctor said she will probably decide if I should go on the Metformin. What I am worried about does Metformin suppress the appetite is that why people say you loose weight on it because I certainly do not want to do that as my weight is fine

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it did suppress my appetite, I'm not sure if it works that way for everyone. My GP wouldn't prescribe it for me below HbA1c 48, perhaps you could query this and have a stay of execution?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin does suppress the appetite a bit but I suspect you will hardly notice. I did have some taste disturbance for a while which is one side effect. It's a very safe drug with few problems other than some stomach upset for a week or two for some that the Slow Release version avoids. It doesn't have that much effect on weight. It works by reducing insulin resistance in the muscles and reducing the liver's glucose output a little.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear this. I know you have bee expecting the diagnosis for a while.
But i am glad you are on the forum, and well placed for receiving information on managing your condition.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im not too sure if it actively helps with weight loss or not but Im sure if you're not actively trying to lose weight you should be fine. The docyor was most probably unsure about prescribing Metformin as you are pre diabetic at this stage so the Dr might want you to try diet and lifestyle changes first.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it did suppress my appetite, I'm not sure if it works that way for everyone. My GP wouldn't prescribe it for me below HbA1c 48, perhaps you could query this and have a stay of execution?
Thanks so it was my HbA1c result that was 46 then so I presume that is not extremely high... I only knew I was diagnosed at just over 7...I don't really understand the other way of measurement yet

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Metformin does suppress the appetite a bit but I suspect you will hardly notice. I did have some taste disturbance for a while which is one side effect. It's a very safe drug with few problems other than some stomach upset for a week or two for some that the Slow Release version avoids. It doesn't have that much effect on weight. It works by reducing insulin resistance in the muscles and reducing the liver's glucose output a little.
Thanks Daibell I don't have a problem with taking Metformin if or when it is necessary as I know it does have properties that are protective and can lower the risk of stroke and heart attack