any low carb strength athletes/lifters

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@mfactor, you are type 2 so the rules aren't quite the same. And for non-diabetics they are also different. I am in agreement with @TorqPenderloin in that when I exceed around 200g of protein a day, my protein related glucose generation goes into overdrive. Depending on type and amount, I have also seen a glucagon release causing an almost instant bg rise post protein consumption, but this is normally linked to "pure" protein such as whey protein isolate shakes.

There's also recent evidence (2013) that Metformin inhibits glucagon production, so as a user of Metformin, your body's ability to undertake Gluconeogenesis is greatly reduced by its action. As a T2 eating a lot of protein and taking Metformin, you'd not see the side effects, whereas the T1s amongst us do.

Reactions: 4 people

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I've worked out my macros and I should be having up to 120g a day but I've found that it lowers my ketone levels so stay around 90g. I'm also finding that I have to bolus for half of all of my protein now. Out of interest my ketone levels hover around 0.6 throughout the day up until I exercise and they go up to around 2 and then gradually drop again. Is this right?
I mainly run, swim and ride, the weights are only 3x 45min sessions a week, mainly for a bit of upper body strength and to give my legs a bit of a rest!

Reactions: 4 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of interest my ketone levels hover around 0.6 throughout the day up until I exercise and they go up to around 2 and then gradually drop again. Is this right?

Yep I think so, but am new to this Ketosis thing myself , but yep mine are higher after exercise (around 2 - 4), I think ???....

Pretty sure this is supposed to happen .........

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cheers. What are your readings like prior to exercise or just generally?

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't think I'll be in ketosis today as it was my birthday yesterday and decided to have a carling and a very large baileys. Also had a spoonful of apple crumble (made by my daughter especially for my birthday so had to be polite!) trouble is that spoonful led to eating the whole bowl which was quite large. Felt so good but sugars sky rocketed to 23 by 3am when I woke up with a bangin head a sore stomach! Just like the old days!

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers. What are your readings like prior to exercise or just generally?
About the same as yours i think maybe up to 1.5 , just about into Ketosis ...........

Lol overdid it on the carbs as well yesterday, nearly the same reason, daughter wanted home cooked chips and I could not resist ,,,just checked and 0.0 :( no ketosis today

Reactions: 2 people

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I'll be........ 48hrs since my apple crumble binge my ketone levels are higher than ever! Strange thing is although I've been strict on carbs for last 2 days my fat intake has been quite a bit higher and I've eaten more protein than normal? Maybe a carbon blow out is the answer!?