what am i doing wrong hubby has high bloods in the morning

andreaabbott1

got to wait until 30 september for the pain clinic, Most days my daughter is eating the same as us, but she has a food texture thing, so I have been homemaking her chicken nuggets and giving her sweet potato chips cooked in the actifry.

so swede is okay with out the carrot, cauliflower is okay
is the porridge okay
hubby has cheated tonight and eaten 3 slices of ciabatta bread with his dinner, that my son had left in the house and he is going to bed with BG of 10.6, which yes is high but a big improvement on BG in the 20,s

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Swede is low in carbs; approximately 2.5g per 100g. Mind you, Swede is low in everything - especially volume once cooked

Packet of sugar-free jelly made-up as per; blitz 300mls of double cream and a handful of berries into it; leave to set.

Sugar free jelly.....Shudder!!!

Ingredients:
Pork Gelatine, Colours: Beetroot Red, Annato, Acid: Adipic Acid, Acidity Regulator: Trisodium Citrates, Flavourings, Sweeteners: Aspartame, Acesulfame K, Acid: Fumaric Acid, Salt

Reminds me of my chemical set as a kid.

The day I need to be eating that, I may as well simply roll over and get a Krispy Kreme.

Reactions: 5 people

reidpj

Sugar free jelly.....Shudder!!!

Ingredients:
Pork Gelatine, Colours: Beetroot Red, Annato, Acid: Adipic Acid, Acidity Regulator: Trisodium Citrates, Flavourings, Sweeteners: Aspartame, Acesulfame K, Acid: Fumaric Acid, Salt

Reminds me of my chemical set as a kid.

The day I need to be eating that, I may as well simply roll over and get a Krispy Kreme.

It's got pork and salt......

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's got pork and salt......

So, a Chernobyl, or pork scratchings?

What would you eat?
Seriously, if you are craving sugar free jelly, you really need to read the chemicals that make the mess that wobbles in your bowl.
Then you'd do the decent thing, and put it straight into the bin.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
got to wait until 30 september for the pain clinic, Most days my daughter is eating the same as us, but she has a food texture thing, so I have been homemaking her chicken nuggets and giving her sweet potato chips cooked in the actifry.

is the porridge okay
hubby has cheated tonight and eaten 3 slices of ciabatta bread with his dinner, that my son had left in the house and he is going to bed with BG of 10.6, which yes is high but a big improvement on BG in the 20,s
How old is your daughter? With a family history of obesity and diabetes, it's important to encourage her to eat as healthy as possible. Sweet potato is pretty high carb. I know it's hard when kids have a food texture thing but my parents gave me and allowed me to eat unhealthy food and I was obese by age 10 and diabetic at 38 :( Losing weight as an adult is a lot harder when you have been obese as a child. I wish they had managed my food better, as it would have prevented a lot of health issues.

Is your hubby on insulin? Sounds to me like it would help prevent further damage if he's going to eat carbs regardless of your efforts.

You might want to lock things like bread away, or better still, don't bring them into the house.

andreaabbott1

My daughter has Downs syndrome and yes she is overweight, she is almost 18 , I try my hardest to keep her diet in control and now hubby cant get to the shop I am being alot more successful, but hubby has always been a feeder , when I met him i was a healthy 8 stone I am not an unhealthy 16 stone
I had a blitz with my son and totally emptied all the food cupboards of biscuits, crisps, sweets, microwave rice, pot noodles, meringue, crackers and crisp breads, doritos , I cleared the freezers of all processed stuff and desserts
and have been trying really hard.
about once a week hubby still manages a trip to the shop he did this week and bought cakes and small doughnuts , I went mad but he plays the treat doesn't hurt card.

I only ever cook my daughter 6 chips the only junk food she has had this week was 2 fish fingers, 6 chips served with peas, because we had lambs liver and she wont eat that

I have been using soya mince instead of beef mince because its high in protein.

the doctor did say insulin but hubby refuses right now he is only on pain meds and has stop all his other meds
this morning his blood is 8.1
it was 11.2 when he went to bed but he had cheated and eaten my sons ciabatta bread 3 slices

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It sounds like you could all do with eating a low carb, full fat diet.

But if your hubby is going to go out and buy high sugar/carb foods, all your efforts will be undone. If it were me, I'd prepare LCHF food for the whole family and ignore what hubby gets up to. He is making his choice. Apart from preparing meals, I think the less you do for him the better. Next time he goes on a binge, don't get mad, just shrug and go spend time with your children.

Reactions: 5 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look in your local library, I found quite a few gathering dust in mine. I photocopied everything that was 10g carbs or 20g if husband is eating whereas you could divide a 40g meal by the four of you as well.

Basically you want to ditch the bread, pasta, rice, cereals, porridge, toast, crackers, crispbreads, root veg and go a bundle on above ground veg (not corn on the cob or sweetcorn though). Google and YouTube are your friends when looking for recipes, you can do some awesome things that totally change things like cauliflower and spinach. You might find that OH is OK with raw fennel, celeriac and carrots in salad with mayo.

Well done on chucking the rubbish out !

www.mysupermarket.co.uk is great for looking up offers and saving money.

Reactions: 4 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday he had oats so simple for breakfast
I gave him 1 slice of cheese on toast using nimble whole meal for lunch and a glass of sugar free lemon squash
for dinner he had lambs liver with bacon I used the bisto low salt instant gravy he had two table spoons of peas and 1 dessert spoon of carrot and swede mash nothing added
he had a weight watcher yogurt
he had 3 brazil nuts and an apple

Oats So Simple are highly processed and they will put a lot of their carbs into the bloodstream quickly. Oats are easily digested as it is, so you don't really want speed the process up. If you want oats and if you have the time, use steel cut oats, not rolled oats. Mind you, they take 45 mins to cook and you have to keep stirring!

Nimble wholemeal? Whilst wholemeal flower has to contain all the parts of the whole wheat grain, whole meal bread doesn't have to be 100% wholemeal. One supermarket brand with wholemeal on the label only contains 6% wholemeal flour and 51% white flour. They won't disclose what the other 43% is made up of. If you are going to eat bread, make sure you get real bread, wholegrain and preferably rye. Don't eat too much either!

Try adding fish into the diet. Meaty fish like tuna or mackerel, especially the latter, are easy to prepare if you use the tinned varieties. This is diced herring (typically from Ikea) with pickles on a wholegrain pumpernickel type bread.

00362588.jpg

If you want some starch, pearl barley is as friendly for diabetics as it gets.

Lamb-stew-with-pearl-barl-006.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/14/lamb-stew-pearl-barley-recipe

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I have been trying really hard to keep hubbies blood sugar down as he has neuropathy
2 mornings now his bloods have been high
yesterday they were 9.3 and this morning 8.3

yesterday he had oats so simple for breakfast
I gave him 1 slice of cheese on toast using nimble whole meal for lunch and a glass of sugar free lemon squash
for dinner he had lambs liver with bacon I used the bisto low salt instant gravy he had two table spoons of peas and 1 dessert spoon of carrot and swede mash nothing added
he had a weight watcher yogurt
he had 3 brazil nuts and an apple

so what is making his blood high in the morning
I used to have the same problem, my sugars could be over 10 when I got up, I have not eaten yet but could not really understand it until I finally got it under control, if my sugars are above 7 when I get up then I eat a bit later but still have simple porrige with lime juice or lemon juice and sweetener, I do not use sugar though I do have the odd treat with a lot of things I should not eat, I eat between 4.30 and 5pm every day and eat a lot of vegetables like peas, beans sweetcorn, I have low fat meat and rice or potatoes, sometimes I have pasta, I do not actually measure any of this just eat until full, I eat fruit as snacks and do not generally have a problem, I have a simple supper of eggs and toast at 10pm then try not eat again, Muller light yoghuts make a nice desert after supper, I am losing weight with the help of Slimming World, Fruit and vegetables are not restricted at all, when I can stick to this my sugars are around 6 in the morning and I can have porrige (50g of oats)
I started slimming world to learn to eat better and lose some weight when I started Insulin this summer, I have been diabetic for 6 years and had a crisis 2 years ago.
Fruit juice is just the worst thing for me, if I wake up at night I check my sugars as they are often low then I have a breakfast bar and this puts my sugars up in the morning.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

is the porridge okay
Please look at all food labels. It's usually shown as carbs per 100 grams weight. Your husband may need to adjust his medication. If his HBA1c is high say above 8-9% then he may require insulin. Speak to the nurse but keep a food diary and watch portion size with his meals, All carbs raise blood sugar so it's a matter of matching his carb intake vs his medication. I'm lucky as a type 1 I can adjust my insulin vs my carb intake.

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
Please don't blame yourself 'what am I doing wrong?' - he's a big boy now.

Reactions: 6 people

macdoug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have simple porrige I do have the odd treat with a lot of things I should not eat, a lot of vegetables like peas, beans sweetcorn, I have low fat meat and rice or potatoes, sometimes I have pasta, I eat fruit as snacks and do not generally have a problem, I have a simple supper of eggs and toast at 10pm then try not eat again, Muller light yoghuts make a nice desert after supper, I am losing weight with the help of Slimming World, Fruit and vegetables are not restricted at all, when I can stick to this my sugars are around 6 in the morning and I can have porrige (50g of oats)
F*ck slimming world, go LCHF for dramatic weight loss and blood sugar results. Low fat meat is BS, seriously, your better off trimming the meat and eating the fat. Your not going to lose weight or correct BG'Ls eating porridge, rice, potatoes, pasta, toast at 10pm, yoghurt(nearly as much sugar as coke in natural unflavoured full fat yoghurt and even more in bs low fat yoghurt) peas, beans and sweetcorn. All those foods cause an insulin response causing the blood sugar spike to be stored as fat and overworking your already clapped out pancrease and worsening your diabetes. Please look into LCHF to give your body a rest and allow it to heal. Its hard giving up sugar, its reportedly as addictive as heroin but its gonna kill you just as surely if you persist with this madness.

Sorry, please forgive me for being so blunt but the science is done, decades of research and the results are in. Low fat high carb diets are proven completely ineffective for weight loss and blood sugar control. The good news is, high fat low carb diet is very effective for both. I thought everyone here was well informed about this

Reactions: 2 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@andreaabbott1 PLEASE stop taking ownership over your husband's choices. Just prepare LCHF meals for your family and if your DH makes a store run once a week for sweet snacks, let it go. Don't get mad, but rest assured that you are doing your part to offer healthy dinners for your family. YOU can't make him change.

As far as the kids, I have a 10, almost 9, and 2 year old (and a husband! :) )and they eat the same meals that I do. The kids do have sandwiches in their school lunch, but I don't limit vegetables and fruit and they have the occasional treat. Overall, they eat a much lower carb diet than their friends. It really isn't too far off the beaten path to have a protein and a vegetable or two at a meal. And there are ways to make "dessert" that are LC friendly. I put out fresh blueberries with a dollop of whipped cream. Or I make a low carb cheesecake.

Reactions: 2 people