Peanut Butter

Jaisiddh

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be some controversy regarding whether peanut butter is good for diabetics -- or very bad! I would think that homemade peanut butter with a pinch of salt would be fine ... perhaps commercial peanut butter creates problems. What are the pros, cons, and issues regarding peanut butter for diabetics? Thank you.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There seems to be some controversy regarding whether peanut butter is good for diabetics -- or very bad! I would think that homemade peanut butter with a pinch of salt would be fine ... perhaps commercial peanut butter creates problems. What are the pros, cons, and issues regarding peanut butter for diabetics? Thank you.

Did not know there was controversy lol,,,,,,,,,???

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-diabetics-eat-peanut-butter-5525.html

I have a big tablespoon in my smoothie 5g carbs, 9 g fat, 12 g protein ..........seems fine to me

But I do buy no added sugar and salt and its made with the skin on................

Reactions: 3 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally people here like peanut butter as a snack (1tsp) or in mug cakes & other recipes. The carb value of different brands varies a lot so pick the lowest one in your friendly neighbourhood supermarket or health food shop. I use Tesco Value atm because all the posher ones are higher carb (it says on the label).
Home-made anything is good I believe if you've got the time and unfortunately it's usually more expensive.

Reactions: 2 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Generally people here like peanut butter as a snack (1tsp) or in mug cakes & other recipes. The carb value of different brands varies a lot so pick the lowest one in your friendly neighbourhood supermarket or health food shop. I use Tesco Value atm because all the posher ones are higher carb (it says on the label).
Home-made anything is good I believe if you've got the time and unfortunately it's usually more expensive.
I also use Tesco own brand 7.5 grms and I prefer it to the main brands it has loads more nuts in it mmm

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Meridian peanut butter which is made from just peanuts and nothing else. I don't actually like the texture of peanut butter (like glue) so I tend to have it with celery for a big of crunch.
I can't have much otherwise it raises my blood sugars. I find if a handy snack if I'm a bit low before bed as it will raise my levels a bit and maintains them overnight.

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Meridian seems to have double the carbs of my Tesco one. Otherwise it's healthier, I guess. So should I get some and just eat less? I do tend to be a bit free with the dessert spoon making mug cake :hungry:
I have Meridian tahini & b12 yeast extract so I know it's good.
@Jaisiddh If you have a good recipe for d-i-y I'd like to give it a go.

Jaisiddh

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Then I guess peanut butter is basically good, as long as you don't eat too much.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Peanuts raise my levels hugely so daren't eat peanut butter.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love peanut butter and an American friend recently bought me a great big jar of it, which I thought I was going to have to throw out. I shall try it now and see what it does to me. Hoping it will be OK as I'm sure I could think of some recipes to use it in. Peanut butter cookies, can't think of anything better!

Breena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I make delicious peanut butter cookies and they don't spike my sugar whatsoever! I know everyone is different but I absolutely adore them, and they are ridiculous simply and easy, only 3 ingredients!