Laser Eye Surgery - Eye Floaters

Jimmy37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
watching arsenal loose
Hi everyone. I had laser eye surgery in October 2015 to treat diabetic retinopathy. I was seeing eye floaters and my eye doctor recommend three sessions of laser eye surgery in both eyes. I am still seeing the occasional floaters, not as bad as before but I am very concerned that the laser surgery did not work and I my vision is going to get worse. Could someone advice if this is normal or should I be worried.

Dark Horse

Hi everyone. I had laser eye surgery in October 2015 to treat diabetic retinopathy. I was seeing eye floaters and my eye doctor recommend three sessions of laser eye surgery in both eyes. I am still seeing the occasional floaters, not as bad as before but I am very concerned that the laser surgery did not work and I my vision is going to get worse. Could someone advice if this is normal or should I be worried.
The laser surgery doesn't affect the floaters that you already had and it may take a while for them to disappear. However, if you get an increase in floaters and/or flashers or a noticeable drop in vision, you need to see your doctor straight away. You may have received some written advice from your ophthalmologist - it's worth checking through this. Also, you should receive a follow-up appointment and you should make sure you attend this - the ophthalmologist will be checking that you have had enough laser and could offer you further treatment, if necessary.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Are you due a follow-up appointment any-time soon?

If not then do contact the Ophthalmology Dept and ask if you can be get a early appointment, when my own retinopathy was active I was told by the Ophthalmologist to get in touch with the clinic if I ever had any concerns about my eyes.

Jimmy37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
watching arsenal loose
I missed my appointment last week because I got my dates mixed up. I am hopeful they will not till me I have to wait 2 months for a new appointment because I am getting a little concerned now

Dark Horse

I would phone the hospital and ask to speak to the on-call ophthalmologist. Explain that you made an error and missed your follow-up appointment but you are worried by still having floaters. Don't wait for them to offer you a re-appointment - some hospitals discharge patients back to the GP after only one missed appointment and it could take a while to be re-referred. Probably you're just seeing the floaters that were already there but you need to see an ophthalmologist to be sure.