Success isn't just lower BG and weight loss..

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's inspiring to read the successes each of you have had. I have had modest success three and a half weeks after T2 diagnosis - I've lost six lbs and, more importantly, I've stopped smoking. I'm quite chuffed with myself :rolleyes: onwards and upwards etc. X

Reactions: 10 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These posts are so motivating and uplifting.

I have quite a strong immune system, and have withstood the bugs - until one managed to catch me yesterday ;)

My hair is thicker, shinier and stronger. My hairdresser said that I am the only person she has seen whose hair looks healthier when longer - well, I started growing it when I quit sugar (two years ago).

The white in my eyes looks very white. Love it!

Reactions: 8 people

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The improvements on a low carb diet are Iife changing ,weight loss , better BG and all-round good health ,I have also found that my mental health as improved ,not that I had mental issues but life seemed so difficult,now I am more calmer ,concentration is better , able to read books and listen to music again ,maybe even a better person!

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Loosing weight,but perhaps even more importantly, so far, keeping it off and eating some luxurious tasting foods like cream and butter.

Other than bs levels and weight loss, sleeping so much better is amazing - was an insomniac but now sleep great most nights.

Good thread!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The improvements on a low carb diet are Iife changing ,weight loss , better BG and all-round good health ,I have also found that my mental health as improved ,not that I had mental issues but life seemed so difficult,now I am more calmer ,concentration is better , able to read books and listen to music again ,maybe even a better person!

I feel the same. I would never have thought a change in diet could make so much difference and it seems to be getting better and better.

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another success or at least a knock on effect of losing weight due to healthier lifestyle is I have actually gained half an inch in height which combined with the steady weight loss I am no longer classed as obese on the BMI calculator and now overweight.

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We tend to measure success by weight loss, by improved BG numbers on our meters and by improved HbA1c - the dramatic changes.

But it might hope those who are struggling, if we all noted the little positive changes that have occurred along our journeys.

I have lost quite a lot of weight, but one of the Success ! moments for me, was losing those few more pounds, that enabled me to get into the skirt I was wearing, the first night I met my husband and seeing the look on his face. It doesn't fit perfectly, but getting into it at all was an achievement to me, because so many times, it very nearly went to a charity shop. Many times I didn't feel that I would lose the weight.

Another Success ! moment, is having a nice pink tongue, not one coated with that white stuff (whatever that is). Yet another Success ! moment, was seeing nice pink gums, not bright red, swollen and bleeding gums, when cleaning my teeth - lower BG does seem to make a difference over time - in my case, it was slow.

Things which make you feel better, but which aren't bad things you know you shouldn't be doing, count as Success ! moments too.

Cracking that low carb pizza or cauliflower rice recipe. People complimenting you on a low carb recipe, especially if family.

People saying "Wow, you've lost weight" or "You look so much healthier".

Feeling confident enough to start exercising, without feeling like a wobbly jelly - any reduction in insulin resistance or weight loss is a bonus, but just doing it, is a Success ! moment if you haven't exercised in years or tried that form of exercise before.

Standing up to an HCP and saying: "My experience is.. you're wrong..I need strips because " and getting the result that you want, even praised for what you're doing.

So please post all those little Success ! moments because hopefully other people, who are feeling discouraged, can think 'Yes that happened to me too'.
Thank you for making a newby think in a more rounded way! Your right...it's important to try to get things in the correct balance with our diabetes but there's more to life!!

Reactions: 2 people

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Being able to buy sexy knickers and not feeling like the fat is flowing out of them so actually feeling a bit sexy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just being able to say I'm losing weight rather than making excuses.

Thank you for making this thread @Celeriac .