Pity Party

sugarisfunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the title says, I know my current feelings will pass but I think I'm in desperate need of a good vent. It's been five months since my diagnosis and I've overcome the learning curve of it all, am able to correctly bolus according to carb content etc etc.. I've just been feeling quite sick of it all. I'm young- 17- and dealing with my 'teenage crises' ( :) ) with diabetes ontop is quite a handful. I'm still trying to overcome the emotional aspect of the diagnosis- I've come a long way since June and am able to manage quite fine but more times than not I feel an overwhelming amount of sadness towards my condition. I don't know of any people aside from distant family friends with Type 1 and although I now family are always there for me when I need to talk or let anything out they just don't understand. I'm the only one in my family with T1 so it can be quite lonely. I have alot of mental issues aside from diabetes and things get quite overwhelming quite frequently. Sometimes, more so recently than before, I'll eat meals without testing or bolusing just to try and 'forget'. Yesterday my sugar was at 30 before bed and I had to force myself to inject, only to go low and treat then proceed to feeling sorry for myself. My HBA1C was measured at 48 last month which I was told was 'excellent'- which completely baffled me considering I had been letting my sugars sky rocket for about three months. I understand change can only be implemented by myself first and foremost, I'm just feeling exhausted. I just want to be like any other teen who doesn't need to worry about the hefty weight of a life long condition 24/7. I understand there will be long term complications if I continue with this carelessness but sometimes I can't bring myself to care. If anyone would like to offer some words of advice, although I myself do know what I need to do.. some reinforcement would be very much appreciated. Many thanks :)

L_J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As the title says, I know my current feelings will pass but I think I'm in desperate need of a good vent. It's been five months since my diagnosis and I've overcome the learning curve of it all, am able to correctly bolus according to carb content etc etc.. I've just been feeling quite sick of it all. I'm young- 17- and dealing with my 'teenage crises' ( :) ) with diabetes ontop is quite a handful. I'm still trying to overcome the emotional aspect of the diagnosis- I've come a long way since June and am able to manage quite fine but more times than not I feel an overwhelming amount of sadness towards my condition. I don't know of any people aside from distant family friends with Type 1 and although I now family are always there for me when I need to talk or let anything out they just don't understand. I'm the only one in my family with T1 so it can be quite lonely. I have alot of mental issues aside from diabetes and things get quite overwhelming quite frequently. Sometimes, more so recently than before, I'll eat meals without testing or bolusing just to try and 'forget'. Yesterday my sugar was at 30 before bed and I had to force myself to inject, only to go low and treat then proceed to feeling sorry for myself. My HBA1C was measured at 48 last month which I was told was 'excellent'- which completely baffled me considering I had been letting my sugars sky rocket for about three months. I understand change can only be implemented by myself first and foremost, I'm just feeling exhausted. I just want to be like any other teen who doesn't need to worry about the hefty weight of a life long condition 24/7. I understand there will be long term complications if I continue with this carelessness but sometimes I can't bring myself to care. If anyone would like to offer some words of advice, although I myself do know what I need to do.. some reinforcement would be very much appreciated. Many thanks :)
Just sending you hugs. My daughter's seventeen, so I witness first hand how much harder being 17 is nowadays than it was when I was that age. Can't give you any advice about type 1, as I was just diagnosed a couple of months ago with type 2. So, apart from sympathising with you about the unfairness of it all, all I can do is let you know that there are lots of people out there going through the same thing as you. I'm sure by the time I've posted this, you'l have a whole bunch of virtual hugs xxx

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
My daughter is also 17 (18 in July) had I knoiw what its like to be 17 myself, try keep to a routine with injecting 15/30 mins before eating, if you can't do that do it asap after eating as this will help in the longt run. As for forgetting to inject we all do it at some point I have forgotten loads of time and Ive been diabetic since I was 2, you must test before a meal or the future will not be a good one and I know as I never tested for a number of years and now reaping the rewards (so to speak, ie bad stuff)

It will be hard but try look forward to your future yeah, its not all bad news for us all nd the more you look after yourself the better yoiu will be later on in life

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry you're feeling like this right now. I'm 61 and I was 29 when I was diagnosed Type 1, so I don't have your experience of being a teen and newly diagnosed. My reaction to diagnosis wasn't particularly helpful either, though. With a small daughter, worried husband and parents, I pretended I was sailing through. Which is better? - sailing through but not really coming to terms, or feeling really resentful as you are now? Neither is good. We're only human and we're all going to have our negative moments. To be honest, though, I think it's the same for everyone. Who doesn't get down about something?
Sermon over!
Tell yourself you are a great person, because you are, and be happy.