No hypos

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 in January and prescribed levamir twice a day and novorapid three times a day. As mentioned in earlier posts I have found the condition relatively easy and even felt that the diagnosis was wrong. LADA and the honeymoon period have both been put forward as reasons why. However another reason why I find it easy is that I don't have hypos. I can go to bed on on bs of 4 and I'll wake up with bs of 6.5 or above having eaten no food for 8 hours. I've been increasing my bolus to try and keep my bs below 7 but it seems whatever I give myself, something inside is compensating. Does anybody else experience the same and is there a reason why?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 1 in January and prescribed levamir twice a day and novorapid three times a day. As mentioned in earlier posts I have found the condition relatively easy and even felt that the diagnosis was wrong. LADA and the honeymoon period have both been put forward as reasons why. However another reason why I find it easy is that I don't have hypos. I can go to bed on on bs of 4 and I'll wake up with bs of 6.5 or above having eaten no food for 8 hours. I've been increasing my bolus to try and keep my bs below 7 but it seems whatever I give myself, something inside is compensating. Does anybody else experience the same and is there a reason why?
Hi, I am T2D, so may be talking through my derriere, but what you describe seems to be what I recognise as 'Dawn Effect; or ;Liver Dump; For T2's there appears to be 2 mechanisms that can be a trigger, but for T1;s I suspect that it is due to the 8 hr fast you mention triggering a fight or flee reaction to impending starvation (i.e Liver dump). It is a protection mechanism to avert hypo's. I cannot recommend any remedial action since it is not something I have needed to deal with myself, but there will be other threads here that will discuss it,