Insulin in second trimester

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies,
I am now at week 18 and was expecting my insulin requirements to start increasing. I am still in the reduced amount of insulin that I have been on since the start and still having occasional (once every day or two) lows so definitely no need to increase my basal. At what point did you start to experience insulin resistance?

jade88

Hi Courtenayjane I think it's different for everyone! I didn't start to experience resistance until about 20 weeks whereas some girls found they have had to increase their requirements much early! Just enjoy it while it lasts soon you'll be upping almost every week! xxx

Reactions: 4 people

Elliebug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 25 weeks and haven't had much insulin resistance yet except my morning readings are starting to double

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 24 weeks and I've had to increase my basals quite a few times! As jade88 said it seems to be different for everyone!

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I was prob about 25w with first pregnancy but about 20w with my last (but it was twins).

Be prepared to decrease immediately post natal. First time round came as a big shock and felt permanently hypo x

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all! Seems I was a bit too cocky as I had an 18 yesterday for the first time in months!! Gave me quite a fright! Have to remember to take every day as it comes I guess.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I increased my basal a number of times, a little bit at a time. I think the first noticeable hike was around 16 weeks, then again around 20 weeks, if I remember correctly (baby brain!). After about 25 weeks I found I had to watch my basal a lot. I also had to adjust my meal ratios significantly.

Everyone's different :)

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's definitely individual. Overall I needed less increases than I was expecting, or I would start to increase and then some rates would need to be dropped back again after a week or two. I think I had a small increase around 19 weeks, another small increase around 26, and then my bolus ratio jumped up quite a bit around 30 weeks. In my last few weeks most of my rates started to decrease a bit rather than increase, which surprised me (bolus rates stayed high, but basal rates dropped at certain times of day).