Low Carb Pizza!! Cracked it 1st time.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I may have missed out some hidden carbs, maybe someone else who is more experienced at carb counting can work it out more accurately. I reckon the crust ingredients must be about 15 g carbs then it's down to the tomato sauce, toppings and extra cheese.Much lower than regular pizza tho.

I calculated my version at about 7.8 gram carbs per slice if cut into 6 slices.

The base itself only came out at 4 grams per slice but I topped mine with about 100ml pizza sauce, a further 190gm pizza cheese, 90 grams kalamata olives, 75 grams pickled jalapeno & 35 grams grated fresh parmesan.

2 pieces was plenty!

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Made this this evening! Wow! It was yummy! My (non LC) husband thought was delicious. We had half each and are stuffed! I put a little mozzarella, goat's cheese and cheddar plus some peperoni on top! Used a tiny bit of sauce from a jar. I like the idea of the garlic bread next :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Just found this and I cant wait to try it.

I made it last week and couldn't believe just how simple it was! The texture is really good and even if you just added tomato and cheese as a topping, it would be enough. Have fun!

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks, I need some help with something please. Does anybody have any idea of the approx calorie count for one of these pizzas? I wanted to make it when my youngest comes up to stay with us over Christmas, she is T2 on insulin but has another condition so unfortunately I need to take the total calories into account too, say with just a tomato and cheese topping.

Thanks in advance.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Folks, I need some help with something please. Does anybody have any idea of the approx calorie count for one of these pizzas? I wanted to make it when my youngest comes up to stay with us over Christmas, she is T2 on insulin but has another condition so unfortunately I need to take the total calories into account too, say with just a tomato and cheese topping.

Thanks in advance.

The calorie count for the base alone is 1,412 (using 180gm 'pizza' cheese, 110gm almond flour, 40gm full fat cream cheese & 1 egg). I now roll my base very thin so get 9 slices putting it at 157 calories per slice.

You'll have to weigh/count your sauce & toppings.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Will power bypass tonite as I made another fat face pizza.This time a tray bake or rectangular effort with mozzarella, black pepper, really thinly sliced tomato and ham.Deeeelish.Gonna have to ration it tho that's pizza twice in a week.I was missing it tho. Seems like I've got the salad fairy in one ear and the pizza imp at the other! Got to get some anchovies for the next one ;-)..... Oh do shut up :-o
:hilarious: Lovely.... though why are you restricting yourself? There's nothing there to worry about...:D thank you for the recipe - it's perfect... and I am sooooo sick of making everything from cauliflower!! Susi

Reactions: 3 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The calorie count for the base alone is 1,412 (using 180gm 'pizza' cheese, 110gm almond flour, 40gm full fat cream cheese & 1 egg). I now roll my base very thin so get 9 slices putting it at 157 calories per slice.

You'll have to weigh/count your sauce & toppings.

Thanks Safi, I appreciate your help. I think this is off the menu for her unfortunately:(

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my god. I made it today. It's amazing. I love cheeeeese :) I changed recepie slightly so I need to add up the carbs etc but so worth it!

Attachments

• 1448819087376.jpg
    1448819087376.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 483
Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too.. Cracked It.. Brilliant!!

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my god. I made it today. It's amazing. I love cheeeeese :) I changed recepie slightly so I need to add up the carbs etc but so worth it!
So I added it all up and WHOLE thing, with toppings and all had 17.6g of carbs, 120g of fat, 125g of protein and 1658 calories.
I ate half of it. Bit heavy on calorie side( 829 calories ) but well within my calorie budget (made sure of that) and only 8.8g of carbs :) nailed it!

Reactions: 6 people

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As an alternative for those who are either allergic to almond flour and are not bothered about having a base I spotted a breadless pizza video on youtube. Basically you create a base using salami on a piece of baking parchment then layer your toppings on top of that and trust me it works, especially good if you are a meat lover.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
As an alternative for those who are either allergic to almond flour and are not bothered about having a base I spotted a breadless pizza video on youtube. Basically you create a base using salami on a piece of baking parchment then layer your toppings on top of that and trust me it works, especially good if you are a meat lover.

Hi Andy-Sev... I make one by slicing a large courgette diagonally and placing the pieces in a circle on an oiled baking sheet.. then I just top as usual - puttanesca style with chillies for me - it was divine... after all, it is the toppings we love, not the bread - which is just a vehicle for them, no? :)

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is so good! Thanks for this recipe.

Ive just been diagnosed so im really missing carbs i can smell tiger bread a mile off! So this pizza was a really great surprise.
Maybe one for a treat though as the fat and cals are so high lol x

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wanted to 'bump' this recipe for those who might not have come across it - we had it again last night and it was just fantastic! We had it with a huge salad for supper and really really enjoyed it.

I've made it now several times, and have also done it in bite-sized format as nibbles for a couple of parties - the recipe is enough for two large batches of pizza nibbles, and because it made so many I put half in the freezer and found they froze beautifully.

:)

pinklady69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi can i have the recipe please as its not coming up.on my thread for some reason...looks yummy!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sure thing, @pinklady69 - I've pasted below the recipe from @Redsnapper 's original post. Enjoy!

:hungry:

105g ground almonds
2 tablespoons full fat cream cheese
1 large egg.
Pinch of garlic salt (optional).
Dried oregano or Italian herbs (optional).
These ingredients are for the pizza base.Firstly add the mozzarella and cubed cream cheese into a microwaveable bowl.Microwave on full power for 1 minute.Mine is Cat E 800w.Give mixture a stir and microwave for a further 30 seconds.Stir again using a spatula being careful as it will be very hot.Then add the beaten egg and almond flour.This should combine to be very dough like.If it is too stringy just pop it back in the mic for 20 seconds.
Move the dough onto a pizza tray lined with baking parchment,and using wet hands make a pizza base.Keep wetting your hands as you do this.Quite fun actually.Finally prick all over with a fork to stop any bubbling up.This should give a nice flat pizza base.I crimped around the edge a bit also.
I sprinkled garlic powder over mine prior to baking in a preheated oven for 8 minutes at 200 C.
I kept a close eye on it and it was about to start burning,so I took it out,cooled the oven down to 150 C and gave it another 5 minutes.You could add dried herbs to the dough before making the base if you like,and I may try his next time.
The result a pretty nice looking pizza base. I added home made tomato sauce which we have with pasta ( well not me anymore) after reducing it down a bit to thicken it up.3 to 4 tablespoons was enough.Then more mozarella and precooked sliced onion,pepperami,and sliced baby tomato.A sprinkle of mozarella and ground black pepper and into the oven 150 C for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.I took mine out halfway and tore up some really nice dry cure ham on the top.I also covered the edge of the crust in strips of tin foil to prevent it from burning.
It is necessary to cook any meats or toppings before building your pizza as the cooking is really only to melt the cheese on top and it would be easy to burn the crust due to the amount of cheese in it.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sure thing, @pinklady69 - I've pasted below the recipe from @Redsnapper 's original post. Enjoy!

:hungry:

105g ground almonds
2 tablespoons full fat cream cheese
1 large egg.
Pinch of garlic salt (optional).
Dried oregano or Italian herbs (optional).
These ingredients are for the pizza base.Firstly add the mozzarella and cubed cream cheese into a microwaveable bowl.Microwave on full power for 1 minute.Mine is Cat E 800w.Give mixture a stir and microwave for a further 30 seconds.Stir again using a spatula being careful as it will be very hot.Then add the beaten egg and almond flour.This should combine to be very dough like.If it is too stringy just pop it back in the mic for 20 seconds.
Move the dough onto a pizza tray lined with baking parchment,and using wet hands make a pizza base.Keep wetting your hands as you do this.Quite fun actually.Finally prick all over with a fork to stop any bubbling up.This should give a nice flat pizza base.I crimped around the edge a bit also.
I sprinkled garlic powder over mine prior to baking in a preheated oven for 8 minutes at 200 C.
I kept a close eye on it and it was about to start burning,so I took it out,cooled the oven down to 150 C and gave it another 5 minutes.You could add dried herbs to the dough before making the base if you like,and I may try his next time.
The result a pretty nice looking pizza base. I added home made tomato sauce which we have with pasta ( well not me anymore) after reducing it down a bit to thicken it up.3 to 4 tablespoons was enough.Then more mozarella and precooked sliced onion,pepperami,and sliced baby tomato.A sprinkle of mozarella and ground black pepper and into the oven 150 C for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.I took mine out halfway and tore up some really nice dry cure ham on the top.I also covered the edge of the crust in strips of tin foil to prevent it from burning.
It is necessary to cook any meats or toppings before building your pizza as the cooking is really only to melt the cheese on top and it would be easy to burn the crust due to the amount of cheese in it.
Hi Snapsy.... how much mozzarella do we put in? Thank you... :)