Cheese Cake

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't usually use sugar substitutes, but I'm planning a cheese cake as a Christmas treat - can someone point me towards a recipe? If I put cheese cake in search I get a right peculiar selection of threads!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you google low carb cheesecake you will get a large amount of lovely recipes, lots of flavours and ways to make them then you can choose what's the best one for you :)

tigz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
old injury hinders most exercises, even swimming
I originally used no sugar icing sugar but have found that Xylitol granulated dissolved in lemon juice works best for our tastes. Couple of large tubs of philli largest tub of extra thick cream couple of fresh vanilla pods couple of fresh lemon or limes and xylitol to taste. Greens organic cocoa again to taste if you'd like to ring the changes. For a special occasion serve with chambord soaked clementines, figs soaked in Pernod or a tumble of any type of berry. Shavings of a very dark orange plain chocolate ramps it up and an extra dollop of extra thick cream - can be a lavish epicurean experience or a daily inclusion but omg it is to die for. I don't serve on a base but serve with almond or ginger v low carb biscuits as a texture alternative if required. A rather decadent accompaniment would be delicious Parmesan crisps but under those delicate little mounds of grated goodness add some cocoa powder oh and skip the paprika/chilli/ etc.

A humble breakfast in its simplest form or a delectable guilt free dessert you can enjoy any day. Actually buy your guests a chocolate mousse and a trifle and indulge yourself

Reactions: 2 people

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cake Filling
  • 750 g cream cheese, at room temperature..
  • 2 tablespoons yoghurt or sour cream.
  • 3 tablespoons coconut cream.
  • 1/2 cup rice malt syrup.
  • 1 egg.
  • dash vanilla powder.
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries.

Cake Base
  • 1 cup shelled pistachios or hazelnuts.
  • 1 cup shredded or desiccated coconut.
  • 1 cup almond meal, or other nut meal, or LSA.
  • 120 g unsalted butter, softened.
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C and line the sides and base of a 23cm spring-form tin with baking paper.

2. To make the cheesecake base, grind the nuts in a food processer until semi-fine. Add the coconut, almond meal and butter and rub with your fingers to make a dough. The more you rub, the more you’ll release the oils in the nuts and achieve the right doughy consistency. Add more butter if required. Press into the tin, covering the base and sides to an even thickness (about 5 mm). Bake for 5–8 minutes until starting to turn golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin.

3. Meanwhile, place raspberries in a blender and slowly drizzle in enough water to make a puree. Transfer to a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until raspberries thicken to a syrup like consistency. Allow to cool.

4. Combine the cream cheese, yoghurt, coconut cream, syrup, egg and vanilla powder in a large bowl using a wooden spoon. Don’t over-mix, and try to keep the aeration to a minimum while stirring (too much air will make the filling puff up and then collapse during cooking).

5. Spoon half the mixture into the cold base and smooth surface. Dot teaspoons of raspberry sauce over cheesecake surface. Using a skewer, swirl raspberry over cheesecake surface. Pour remaining cream cheese mixture over and smooth surface. Return to the oven for 20–30 minutes or until the mixture pulls away from the base a little and the centre is custard-like (don’t overcook).

6. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm before serving. Decorate with extra raspberries and mint leaves. 
Be sure to allow the cheesecake to cool for several hours before serving; otherwise, it can taste too eggy.

A dear friend visited bringing this along with her, she emailed me the recipe, I have been doing LCHF but not in an adventurous way, as in trying lots of recipes, so hope this is suitable

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds lovely, but I'm not sure about Rice Malt Syrup?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
personally I find the cream cheese sweet enough, you just then need to balance any other flavours.

I used to be king of the cheesecakes in our house my favourite being a ginger/lime/chocolate version which I made with ginger nut biscuits as the base, mascarpone/lime middle layer with maybe 2oz icing sugar in the lot and cover the top with either finely grated very dark chocolate or home-made chocolate leaves (they were a faff:rolleyes:)

If I were to make it again today I'd obviously moderate it for my tastes, I think the gingeriness in the base would be the hardest bit to achieve. Probably need to cook the nuts a bit and infuse them with dried or fresh ginger, maybe a dash of a ginger liquer

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I can find it again, I'll post a recipe for a Japanese cheesecske