£$%^ for Brains?

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Robbity, How on earth did you get your cholesterol down to 2.7? I see you eat lowcarb, but presumably not high fat?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
After driving today, I can definitely say that forgetfulness happens to old age males forgetting to signal and obviously forgetting every part part of the Highway Code when driving!! Not just on one part of a road either-constant. Forgetting to go to an appointment compared to this OAP today made me wonder on forgetfulness in general!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Robbity, How on earth did you get your cholesterol down to 2.7? I see you eat lowcarb, but presumably not high fat?

I honestly haven't a clue as I'd only recently started my low carb diet when I got that result. I do eat a fair amount of hopefully good! fat (cheese, butter, cream, full fat Greek yoghurt, olive, walnut, and some coconut oil) but I wouldn't call it a high fat diet - I don't put butter, etc in my coffee for example!! I stopped eating most starchy stuff - sweets, jam, cake, pastry, etc immediately on diagnosis last December, then stopped eating a lot of ready made stuff, and gradually cut out potatoes, pasta, bread, cereals, sugary fruit, etc during January, and started eating much more fat then too. My doctor when he gave me the result did say that it's not necessarily fat that causes high cholesterol.

Robbity

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm relieved to hear that. I was worrying that lchf would make my cholesterol figures even worse. Maybe that's not necessarily so. I will have to reduce the hf bit before I see any weight loss though, I think. I don't think I'm really spreading butter and pouring cream on things just for the hell of it, but it is hard to work out what is 'normal' when you wouldn't 'normally' have any double cream in your food.

Doxii

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found before I was diagnosed I forgot things all the time... once it was my debit card (i'd left it at home) the next day it was my whole purse.

I'm better now I'm taking my meds.

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I've had a lot to get my head around lately, what with moving back to England from Germany, IBS, high blood pressure, more visits to the doctor and hospital for appointments and tests in the last couple of months than ever before in my life ... oh, and a diabetes diagnosis, but how on earth did I completely forget my DESMOND course last week????? I only thought to look at the letter 10 minutes ago. I've obviously just hit a mental brick wall or maybe my subconscious is refusing to acknowledge the condition. I'll have to ring them tomorrow and apologise. I wasn't looking forward to going, but I did mean to ... honest!
Sorry to be thick but what is aDESMOND course.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to be thick but what is aDESMOND course.

It's a Diabetic education course. DESMOND's apparently and acronym for this mouthful: Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed. (I had to look up exactly what is stood for!)

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, what a pity - just saw TITD's posts and thought he was back!
But it's an old thread. :(

I do miss him!

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a Diabetic education course. DESMOND's apparently and acronym for this mouthful: Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed. (I had to look up exactly what is stood for!)

Robbity
Thanks for the reply. How do I get to know more about it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@comfort: follow the link I gave you in my previous post, or Google "DESMOND course". haven't been on one, so can't help further!

Robbity

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
My diabetic nurse arranged for a DESMOND course for me when I was first diagnosed (January). The local hospital phoned me within a week with an appointment for May. Hopefully my numbers will be better before that and I can demonstrate that I am already self managing my diabetes.