£12 for a Dr's letter to join a gym!!!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Complain to the practice manager. It MIGHT work!
Hana

spmccann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dunno it seems to be counter productive to charge people for something that is generally accepted as being good for your long term health. I dont know about the NHS as I live in the republic of Ireland so I have to pay for my GP/Nurse visits cos i earn more than subsistance. Having said that the doctors charge is about €50 per visit normally but she generally charges me €30 on the condition I keep my bloods on track. On the other hand she organised a long term illness card which means my diabetic meds , strips and lances are free which is a massive saving. I still have to pay for mosisturiser for my feet bu I recokon they are worth a fiver a month. As for a gym letter she was delighted when I asked her for one. I had been attending the gym prior to diagnosis but the annual questionaire arrived so I had to confess. I've had great support since day 1.

daniel1021

Dislikes
diabetes.
noblehead said:
Paul_c said:
any Gym that requires you to reveal that you are diabetic on the joining form doesn't deserve your membership...

Don't agree with that at all, if your insulin dependant then it's in your best interests to inform the staff that you use insulin and could suffer a hypo when using their equipment, depending how quick and how low someone can drop they may need assistance in treating a hypo.

You still wouldn't need a letter.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
as far as I'm concerned, if I've been put on diet and exercise (which I have), then the Doctor's letter should be free...

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Sod the gym !
I get enough exercise walking to the pub, I suppose they will be demanding gp letters next !

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Superchip said:
Sod the gym !
I get enough exercise walking to the pub, I suppose they will be demanding gp letters next !
Get in!;-)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
daniel1021 said:
Why would you need a doctors consent? The only reason you'd need one is to get a cheaper membership

Because if you had high blood pressure and high blood sugars then exercise could prove to be extremely dangerous which is why you are required to notify a gym about your condition on joining and the doctors letter lets the gym know that you are fit to exercise as they are not medically trained, so should you drop down dead, they can say "well the doctor said he/she was fit to exercise".

Unfortunately we now live in a society that always looks for blame, no one seems to be prepared to take responsibility for their own lives any longer, so gyms and every other business now have to cover themselves from legal liability wherever possible.

daniel1021

Dislikes
diabetes.
But if you had a very high blood pressure you'd be refused to exercise anyway regardless of being diabetic.... What you say is very true no one takes responsibility for themselves anymore!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that at your own risk you can decide not to tell the gym about your health issues...... All the gym wants is a bit of paper that gets them off the hook, it does not need to be truefull.........

For your own safety ask your GP for advice about what it is safe for you to do, the GP will tell you with no charge provided you don't ask for a formal letter.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that at your own risk you can decide not to tell the gym about your health issues...... All the gym wants is a bit of paper that gets them off the hook, it does not need to be truefull.........

For your own safety ask your GP for advice about what it is safe for you to do, the GP will tell you with no charge provided you don't ask for a formal letter.

Ringi - The last reply on this thread, before yours, was over 4 years ago, so maybe not hold your breath waiting for a response.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed type 2 last year but I've managed to keep off any medication through cutting the carbs and calories and walking a lot more. This was also achieved through much testing of blood glucose levels at different times of the day - not a penny of which was funded by the NHS as my doctor point blank refuses to prescribe test strips.(same old pathetic excuse, "what is the need to know?")
Anyway I thought I would still do my bit and join a gym to keep the general level of fitness up and avoid medication as long as possible.
The gym said I needed a form from the doctor to confirm I could exercise because of hypertension and diabetes, even though both are well controlled.
To my astonishment the surgery said i would be charged £12 for the form, which would take 5 minutes to fill out! Hang on a minute, who is doing who a favour here? I'm largely taking control of my condition, potentially saving the NHS thousands in drugs, treatments and doctors/nurses/clinics time and they have the audacity to charge me to fill out a form. So much for encouraging people to exercise more!
I have written to my doctor asking for this charge to be waived and if it is not it will be followed up with a written complaint.

Anybody else had a similar experience when joining a gym or other exercise class?
Can you change doctors as it sounds as if you have a bad relationship with the current one?
Also I am a little surprised that the gym took this attitude. I work as a PT and used to do prescription exercise sessions in which we did a standard medical questionnaire as is standard for any new member too. People were often there because they were hypertensive and diabetic! We checked blood pressure and unless the reading was over 100/200 (mega high and would be dangerous to exercise) or the person had 'unstable' diabetes i.e. on insulin and/or at risk of hypos, we would encourage them in knowing exercise helps manage blood sugars and mitigates the CV risks of diabetes. So its odd all round. The gym is entitled to ask for this medical confirmation but I think their staff need a little education...Was it a local authority gym or a chain?

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
National Health GPs can & do charge for services not in their contract. Before I retired I was a HGV driver & had to have a 5 yearly medical examination. The most I ever paid was £175 & the least was £125, not always covered by my employer so it was up to me to pay.
£12 for a letter is nothing compared to what your GP could charge, my GP would & does charge a minimum fee of £30 for any letter.
I have no problem with that.