Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The DVLA comes under a lot of criticism (and rightly so in most cases), however I sent off the renewal form together with the DIAB1 10 days ago and my new 3 licence has arrived in the post this morning :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The DVLA comes under a lot of criticism (and rightly so in most cases), however I sent off the renewal form together with the DIAB1 10 days ago and my new 3 licence has arrived in the post this morning :)

Wow, that sounds like good service, happy driving :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found it a reasonably fast turnaround with DVLA.

Nice one! :)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no trouble at the back end of last year when filling in the DIAB1 for the first time. They kept me informed and issued the 3 year restricted licence fairly quick once they'd done their checks.

Quite a contrast to some prior dealings with them. Perhaps the department which handles medical is efficient. :joyful:

Reactions: azure and noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Quite a contrast to some prior dealings with them. Perhaps the department which handles medical is efficient. :joyful:

I received two letters @db89 , one saying they'd carried out the medical checks and the other contained my driving licence.

Last time I renewed my licence they took around 6-7 weeks to renew it, on contacting them they told me they were carrying out medical checks but I was still able to drive if the checks were not carried out before my licence expired, maybe this time around it was more of a quick check rather than them actually contacting my gp and consultants........who knows :confused:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I received two letters @db89 , one saying they'd carried out the medical checks and the other contained my driving licence.

You mean both letters came through the door at the same time? That's what happened with me in November last year..
Funny enough, I just checked when it was & I've noticed 2 extra months added to the expiry date? I kid you not!

Two months "grace" & a fast pace... :D

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too have found them very swift!

The two occasions when it took much longer than I'd hoped were firstly when they gave me my licence back for the first time after it had been revoked for medical (non-diabetic) reasons, and I and various HCPs had to answer questions, and secondly a year later when they had some questions for my consultant and their letter got lost in his in-tray!

These days I'm back on 3-year ones, and all is fine.

They seem to be pretty on it, judging by recent experiences.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Funny enough, I just checked when it was & I've noticed 2 extra months added to the expiry date? I kid you not!

Isn't that strange, on checking my licence now it also runs for 3 years 2 months (April 2017-June 2020).

Reactions: Robinredbreast