10 Months Since being Diagnosed with Type 2

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last October I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My HbA1C was 99 and blood sugar 13.1. My weight was 85 Kg with a BMI of about 33. My doctor prescribed Metformin and told to take 2x500Mg daily, reduce sugar and do more exercise.

At this point I started looking at the sugar content in the food and drink I was consuming. I discovered my "healthy" Country Crisp breakfast cereal was 24% sugar and the Chai tea I was drinking for breakfast was 50% sugar. I cut out as much sugar as possible and after 5 weeks I had an appointment with a diabetes nurse who gave me a Accu-Check Mobile blood glucose meter. The first reading was 9.8, so I big reduction from 13.1, but still quite high.

By chance I found a video by Sarah Hallberg on reversing Type 2 Diabetes (see link in my signature) and then preceded to reduce carbs in my diet such as bread and rice. This helped me reduce weight and I was losing a couple of Kg a month until March when I was 76 Kg. At this point my weight plateaued and has only just gone down to 75 Kg and my BMI is about 27. My blood glucose reading gradually dropped from 9.8 to around 6 after going on a low carb diet.

Last Feb my HbA1C reduced from 99 to 59, which was great, so I dropped from 2x500Mg Metformin to one tablet a day. I May my HbA1C dropped to 44 and after that I stopped taking Metformin altogether. I think the Metformin was helping me lose weight, but I was not a fan of its side effects including pins and needles in my hands, memory loss and diarrhoea. I think a HbA1C of 43 with no medication is doing quite well. I was hoping to get below 42, but we will see next time.

After watching a video on fasting by Jason Fung (see link in my signature) I got interested in intermittent fasting. I usually do this at the weekend (5:2 fasting) by skipping breakfast or just eating once a day. This seems to help with lowering blood sugars and losing weight.

In Feb my cholesterol had dropped from 5.4 to 4.8 (probably as I was eating porridge at the time), but rose to 6 in May. I started taking some CholestaGuard tablets (one a day) and now it has gone down to 4.8 again. Statins were mentioned in May, but I refused as they seem to have little benefit and lots of nasty side effects.