12+3 weeks can't find heartbeat on Doppler feeling stressed :-(

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
so I'm 12+3 weeks pregnant Iv got my 13 week scan on Wednesday next week I'm terrified as the doc has basically told me there's a very high risk of abnormality if baby is still in here (had a ten week scan baby was fine) so I'm extremely worried I brought a Doppler to try to reassure me ... I don't think it's top of the range ... I seem to have numbers popping up on the screen and dropping etc but havnt heard a heartbeat ... Others Iv seen have found heartbeat at 8-10 weeks ... Should I be worried ?:-(

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
so I'm 12+3 weeks pregnant Iv got my 13 week scan on Wednesday next week I'm terrified as the doc has basically told me there's a very high risk of abnormality if baby is still in here (had a ten week scan baby was fine) so I'm extremely worried I brought a Doppler to try to reassure me ... I don't think it's top of the range ... I seem to have numbers popping up on the screen and dropping etc but havnt heard a heartbeat ... Others Iv seen have found heartbeat at 8-10 weeks ... Should I be worried ?:-(
If you can't wait till Wednesday you could have a private scan but it does cost - Or ring your midwife for advice. Good luck.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was always told not to use a doppler at home as you can't always get the heartbeat. Hoping it's just a technical blip, good luck x

Reactions: Smelen

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

NO, you should not be worried. It's very hard to find a heartbeat that early. Also, Dopplers vary in their accuracy and quality. But even if you had a top quality Doppler there,,it would not be unusual to not find the heartbeat at this stage.

This does not mean there isn't a heartbeat. All it means is that you didn't find it :)

Even my midwife with her medical Doppler didn't listen for my baby's heartbeat until around 19weeks. Why? Because even a professional with professional equipment can fail to find a heartbeat before then. This would then cause unnecessary anxiety to the mum when, in fact, all was well :)

Your Doppler result means nothing. Don't worry. X

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing to add, but wishing you all the best. It's a worrying time and you will feel so much better once you've had that scan an it's all pronounced fine.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou I'm just so worried now ... How have others girls found a heartbeat at like 8 weeks! Hoping mine is just a bit rubbish it's not a big brand one.... Iv considered a private scan until my scan in 6 days but it seems a waste of £100 as its Xmas :-( I just hope others have had this problem and it's not just me ... I'm really hoping I'm just crazy and worrying for nothing it's just everyone Iv talked to has said it worrying etc X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou I'm just so worried now ... How have others girls found a heartbeat at like 8 weeks! Hoping mine is just a bit rubbish it's not a big brand one.... Iv considered a private scan until my scan in 6 days but it seems a waste of £100 as its Xmas :-( I just hope others have had this problem and it's not just me ... I'm really hoping I'm just crazy and worrying for nothing it's just everyone Iv talked to has said it worrying etc X

I had a Doppler and I dont remember exactly when I found the heartbeat, but it was later than you tried. I'd also add that it's not as easy to find as you might think. Once you've found it, it's easier because you know what you're doing, but even then sometimes you just can't find it in the first and second trimester.

The people who,said they found a heartbeat at 8 weeks could very easily have found a heartbeat - their own!!! The baby would be tiny at that stage. I read that 11 or 12 weeks is about the earliest you can find it BUT you have to be extremely lucky and most people don't find it then.

Please don't worry. I say that in all genuineness. It would be unusual and lucky to find the heartbeat now. Those who,say they did are either very, very, very fortunate - or more likely, totally mistaken!

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Tilly_S I am 17weeks and my GP couldn't find a heartbeat this week using the Doppler...like @azure said those people that do find one it's probably their own heartbeat!!...that's all my doctor could find! I'm lucky though she has a mini ultrasound machine in her practice and a quick scan showed baby was moving away with a strong heartbeat! I know it's easier to say but try not to worry, this was my first experience of being checked with a Doppler and I'd prefer not to in future...my own heart skipped many beats till we did the ultrasound!!x

Reactions: azure

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou so much for reply !:) I'm hoping I'm just not experienced enough , I'm also hoping since Iv picked up placenta that's a good sign baby is ok ... I will update on my scan on wed anyways Thankyou ladies :) xxx

Reactions: azure

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just an update I had my scan last week at 13 weeks and baby looked fine and was wriggling about fingers crossed all stays well , second trimester now still going with morning sickness but feeling more human , not sure when to try my Doppler again I just thank the lord baby was ok
Thanks for the Input guys x