16:8 fast

Jibba Jabba

Hi all

I am T2 diabetic, diet controlled. When I was first diagnosed I changed my eating habits to a low carb diet. Cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes as well as all the sugary foods. I did really, really well. I lost around 4 stone in the first year and kept it off. Unfortunately in the last couple of years my weight has crept up. I am still low carbing but maybe my portion control has increased? I am thinking of staring the 16:8 fasting diet and wanted to ask if it's ok to drink coffee with cream in place of my breakfast? I am then planning on having a low carb lunch which is normally frankfurters or ham or tuna with salad and along the same lines for dinner. I don't actually eat dinner as such, just a handful of almonds and a couple of slices of cheese but am eating breakfast (my own version of porridge - flat tablespoon of oats, flat tablespoon of flax seeds, two tablespoons each of desiccated coconut and ground almonds). Any advice would be truly welcome. Sorry for the long post but I am struggling weight-wise and it's starting to get me down :(

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Jason Fung gives good advice on fasting. I'm still reading up on it so not sure about the cream. Isn't the idea of fasting that your body has to look for other sources of fuel than what you eat - ie to burn body fat?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Part of the idea of fasting is that insulin level drops very low hence letting our body burn fat, a little cream in one cup of coffee is unlikely to stop this. If having cream in a morning coffee is what enables someone to fast for most of the rest of the day, so be it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always have creamy coffee when fasting. seems to work for me.. cuts out hunger pangs so lets me fast for longer periods. I usually have mine at noonish

Jibba Jabba

Thank you so much for your replies.
Bulkbiker, I was thinking of having coffee with cream around my normal breakfast time instead of porridge (effectively skipping breakfast) and then eating lunch and dinner within the 8 hour time frame. Does this sound sensible?