16 Month Old Levels All Over Today

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We seem to be having a bad day :( she's really all over today and I've no idea why, she was low in the night and first thing and we seem to have been fighting hypos all day even though I've stayed cautious with her doses (carb counting ) in between she's been hyper though!

96b46f0d3dc71cb6941bdcbd18310c23.jpg

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yeah it sucks! not a parent but I can symapthise a bit. Is she on a pump?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@shivles Could she have an upset tummy? Sometimes that can affect food absorption and lead to lows. Of course, that doesn't explain the highs, but perhaps that's overtreating the lows?

If she continues to stay lower than normal, you may want to speak to her DSN to see if her basal needs adjusting. If she's recently been diagnosed, then sometimes just starting on insulin can 'give her own islets a rest' and they then recover a bit and make some of their own insulin.

Other reasons could be a change of routine or stress or excitement. All you can do is monitor her closely, avoid overtreating hypos and overcorrecting highs, and possibly stick to 'safe' meals which you're confident would normally give good results for her.

Reactions: 2 people

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@shivles Could she have an upset tummy? Sometimes that can affect food absorption and lead to lows. Of course, that doesn't explain the highs, but perhaps that's overtreating the lows?

If she continues to stay lower than normal, you may want to speak to her DSN to see if her basal needs adjusting. If she's recently been diagnosed, then sometimes just starting on insulin can 'give her own islets a rest' and they then recover a bit and make some of their own insulin.

Other reasons could be a change of routine or stress or excitement. All you can do is monitor her closely, avoid overtreating hypos and overcorrecting highs, and possibly stick to 'safe' meals which you're confident would normally give good results for her.

I treat lows one jelly baby at a time unless she's gone below 3mmol then I'd give 2 straight off. She had an upset tummy the other week but seems better. I'm sticking with meals where the dose has been right before and it's still haywire :/ she was diagnosed a month ago and I did wonder if she was starting to enter a honeymoon period as her doses have been dropping ever since her glucose levels came down. We don't correct highs yet we haven't been told how. So its especially odd that she will have a meal, go through the roof then plummet before her next meal is due.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I treat lows one jelly baby at a time unless she's gone below 3mmol then I'd give 2 straight off. She had an upset tummy the other week but seems better. I'm sticking with meals where the dose has been right before and it's still haywire :/ she was diagnosed a month ago and I did wonder if she was starting to enter a honeymoon period as her doses have been dropping ever since her glucose levels came down. We don't correct highs yet we haven't been told how. So its especially odd that she will have a meal, go through the roof then plummet before her next meal is due.

It's certainly possible she's honeymooning. Because she's so young, I'd have a word with her DSN and see if they recommend any adjustments to her insulin. I'm presuming she's on basal/bolus injections? If so, aswell as looking at her basal dose, the DSN may also take a look at her pre-meal boluses to see if they need altering, either in amount or timing.

Your hypo treatment sounds fine : )

I imagine your daughter must be on tiny doses which can make adjustments harder. If you continue to struggle, you might want to look at a pump. It allows for tiny boluses so you can get that much closer to the amount of insulin your daughter needs.

Do speak to her DSN though about the lows and see what they say. It's hard to get the right amount of insulin at the beginning, so little tweaks are often needed : )

Reactions: 2 people

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Called the DSN and she advised to drop levemir and up the breakfast... just when I think I understand something like this happens haha

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the update : )

I hope it helps get things ore stable.