16 year old daughter needs help

Hi everyone. I have had this app on my phone for a while now and have read so many posts re teenagers and type 1. I am at my whits end now and really need some help for my daughter and my family.
Danielle is 16. Type 1 for 4 years now..currently using lantus and novorapid. She also has an over active thyroid.
In the last 6 months she has been in hosp with dka 3 times twice it was combined with her lack of thyroid medication resulting in a life threatening condition called thyroid storm.
She came out of hospital on monday and already letting her blood gluscose run high and not takin her thyroid meds.
She is an absolute nightmare she will not listen to myseld or anyone else. I love her so much but I am scared she wont come home from hospital the next time. She creates a very horrible atmosphere at home and her 2 little sisters (aged 10 and 14) are very much disturbed by her behavior. if i ask her to take her insulin or do a bm i get "oh god just go away and get out my room" very nastily. today has been a nightmare as she wants to stay away overnight at her friends but i cant trust her to jot drink alcohol and end up in hospital again. To which she replied " you dont care if I do it only bothers you because you think it makes you look stupid because you are supposed to look after me."
It is causing huge arguments beween me and her dad and im worried it will become to much and we separate.
Please please is there anyone out there that can helpus? Sorry about my typing I am usin my phone and the keyboard is very small.
Thanks in advance x Caroline

hi thank you so much for replying to me but i cant view private messages it says i am unauthorised to do this?
any ideas why that is or is it because i am new to the forum?
thanks again, caroline x

elainechi

oh i feel for you so much.....those nasty teenage hormones are bad enough add diabetes and thyroid too....hell
i.ve had my problems with my daughter 13 but had teenagitis at 11.........no help from anyone with therapy for her to help her comes to terms with diabetes....so i got counselling to learn to be less emotional when dealing with daughter and diabetes.......it has worked...its not my fault that she won.t tell insulin or test and i don.t feel a bad person that i can.t get my daughter to control or attempt to control it......it is difficult for them as they try their best at times and the bs are still up the pole.....jane is on humilin m3 twice a day. why because she won.t do mdi anymore.....it keeps her safe .......she feels ok and goes to school now and doesn

elainechi

.t hypo at school.....when shes out she won.t test .....inject outside or stick to her reduced carbs eating plan......shes always hi after school but thays life...i wait for her to want to do something about it.....yes i shout at times as im a single parent and she drives me loopy at times as i do her.....but try and get help yourself.........its so so hard....hugs to all of you xxxxx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Keep a positive aspect Caroline, taking step to post here will reduce smxiety, even if it is just 0.01%!!!

I will say that all teens can go thru hiccups..I led a strike by school pupils striking about teachers striking and refusing to go back into school... Of course it was a glorious sunny day with me having the worst subjects in the aftermoon... And that was pre diabetes!!! So, my advice would be... You know how she reacts to certain advice and structure ref diabetes... So it is a way to think ... Ok. If I say this.....xxxx i know we get xxx reaction....
If I said/did this could I get a different reaction.

After being a disruptive school child, I went straight into leaving home at 15 and going straight into training as a Manager..... Be positive... Totally different scenarios, I know, but there is a way to get a more positive reaction from your daughter..

What I am trying to say is diabetes could be an additional problem to your daughter than what she is showing to you and your family. Teenagers can now have a huge amount of peer pressure to contend with. It may not be the only factor in her life but it may be the only real factor that her parents can try to 'control'. By 16 many girls havent in all honesty got a huge amount of parental control anymore...

Certainly not a lecture... But perhaps I hope a signal to you that it is so vastly different being a teenager with diabetes, than a parent trying to look after a child with diabetes... A different tact or one simple word differently may make a difference...

Your post sounds like me prediabetes!!! Then I got diabetes T1.... But I lived thru without complications so far, but see things a little different... As I feel now as if I am reliving my youth through your post...

Another example... At age of 13 my brother took me to the working mans club.. He was older... With his friends.. We all got absolutely hammered with alchohol... We lived on edge of a cliff... Instead of my dad going mad when we all staggered home.. My dad got his torch out and made sure that all the friends staggered to the top and home safely...somstimes kids and alchohol and life need support in an unexpected way...i was expecting a huge argument from my dad... But got the reverse.

Pretty similar story with me, dad, boyfriends and motorbikes at 14!!!!

Diabetes is an additional problem to your daughters living at the moment....there will be a positive outcome to it I am sure...