18/T2 & DEPRESSED

Usmaan935

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have been diagnosed with type 2 a month ago and i found it really difficult to adjust to the new lifestyle & it makes everything weird. Before gym i check my bg which was 5.6 but after my gym session they spiked to 10.1 i only had water with me and this got me confused i have not told any of my mates about this as i feel embarrassed and sometimes i feel helpless & lost my bmi came out as average and i see my consultant once a month its crazy how this has affected my life so much

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Usmaan935 Chin up, you're doing something positive so try not to let this get you down, exercising can have the opposite effect on your bg levels as your body releases glucose to cope with the extra demand from your muscles, it's only temporary, and my advice is that it's best not to test after exercise unless you are taking insulin/medication. The benefits of exercise are huge so don't let this get you down. Feeling low will pass, but keep up with the exercise it's the best thing you can do and will also help your low mood.

Reactions: Usmaan935

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
H Usmaan

Sorry you are feeling down. Having to deal with a diagnosis is a pain at any age, but school makes it even more difficult.

Don't worry about the blood glucose rising with exercise. It happens to a lot of us, but it is because of the activity and adrenalin, not because you have done anything wrong! Also, it will drop again after exercise. Keep checking it, and you will see what I mean.

I know seeing your consultant so regularly must be a lot of hassle, but it will mean that they can check you are getting the best treatment, and are able to monitor how things are going - which is a good thing. Maybe you can ask them about your blood glucose after exercise when you see them next.

Do you have anyone you can talk to when you are feeling down? A parent or a friend? I can see why you might not want everyone at school to know, but do you have one friend you can tell?

Usmaan935

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
H Usmaan

Sorry you are feeling down. Having to deal with a diagnosis is a pain at any age, but school makes it even more difficult.

Don't worry about the blood glucose rising with exercise. It happens to a lot of us, but it is because of the activity and adrenalin, not because you have done anything wrong! Also, it will drop again after exercise. Keep checking it, and you will see what I mean.

I know seeing your consultant so regularly must be a lot of hassle, but it will mean that they can check you are getting the best treatment, and are able to monitor how things are going - which is a good thing. Maybe you can ask them about your blood glucose after exercise when you see them next.

Do you have anyone you can talk to when you are feeling down? A parent or a friend? I can see why you might not want everyone at school to know, but do you have one friend you can tell?
Thanks for your comment & maybe after a while ill feel more conformable and then ill tell someone but currently im in no state of mind to tell anyone

Usmaan935

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Usmaan935 Chin up, you're doing something positive so try not to let this get you down, exercising can have the opposite effect on your bg levels as your body releases glucose to cope with the extra demand from your muscles, it's only temporary, and my advice is that it's best not to test after exercise unless you are taking insulin/medication. The benefits of exercise are huge so don't let this get you down. Feeling low will pass, but keep up with the exercise it's the best thing you can do and will also help your low mood.
Thank you JuicyJ, i will keep it up but feeling low gets to me alot

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you JuicyJ, i will keep it up but feeling low gets to me alot
My only concern for you is why your feeling low. Is it the frustration of doing exercise which isn't what you really enjoy to help lower your bgs? To find they double cross you and spike you.
I have used fatty protein nibbles to prevent the spike in the past.
Unfortunately my bulging discs prevent me from walking without pain so I steer away from even my beloved swimming. Which I sorely miss.
I found my liver was dumping on me in times of stress. Getting ready for a swim with laboured breathing (mostly due to undiagnosed asthma).
I now walk with painkillers, most days, very very slowly but for a stroll and multipal stops along the way. I try and prevent it being stressful and a pleasure. Sometimes I succeed. :) :) :)
I must admit at 18 I too had (undiagnosed) type2. I had insulin resistance, for sure.
I exercised my legs off, for fun only.
Are you sure this form of exercise is a pleasure at the moment? Maybe find something more fun?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are only just starting out with this new way of life which can seem rather perplexing at times. Give yourself time to adapt - it isn't the end of everything and it isn't any sort of punishment. Yes you will probably have to live with being diabetic, but there are far worse fates.
Your readings before and after exercise are perfectly normal. Staying hydrated is good, though sometimes the gym could be a bit too hectic. I have always found leisurely cycling to be a very beneficial way to get moving - as well as being useful in that I can go and run some messages at the same time. I think it depends what suits you best, though alternating between the two might also prove effective.
You are very fortunate to have monthly consultations. Admittedly I have lowered my Hba1c to normal - but the only doctor I have seen since diagnosis last November called me in to try to get me back on statins, my diabetes was not even mentioned.
I have been eating a low carb diet for decades, whenever I could get away with it, and find that I am a lot more cheerful without dense starch or sugary foods

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A T2 diagnosis hit most of us like a speeding truck but at eighteen it must be even more difficult and there will be a period of adjustment for sure. Once you get to the stage when you feel you have learned enough about the condition to make decisions on your well being then you will feel more confident and the low mood will pass. It's not easy but one thing you must, must not do is blame yourself for any symptom/hurdle that you find you have to overcome.
Already you have learned from the comments upthread that the spike in your reading after excercise was not your 'fault' it was your body's normal reaction so that is a little knowledge in your armoury right there.
You will find yourself on a learning curve and this forum is great for advise and any support that you may need along the way. You have youth on your side which is a huge benefit. Good luck to you.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
i have been diagnosed with type 2 a month ago and i found it really difficult to adjust to the new lifestyle & it makes everything weird. Before gym i check my bg which was 5.6 but after my gym session they spiked to 10.1 i only had water with me and this got me confused i have not told any of my mates about this as i feel embarrassed and sometimes i feel helpless & lost my bmi came out as average and i see my consultant once a month its crazy how this has affected my life so much
Welcome to the forum @Usmaan935. Depression is no stranger in the world of the diabetic. But don't worry, over time you will learn to put diabetes in its place. The team is with you all the way.

sarzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,
I know a lot about how're you're feeling right now! I was diagnosed with type 1 at the end of last year, in my last week of school and right before my final exams. Depression hit pretty hard right away and hasn't really budged yet. Dealing with such a drastic change in lifestyle is really difficult, you sound like you're doing a great job though, especially since you care enough to actually ask about your blood sugars and what can help. When it comes to friends, I know that it can be embarrassing or awkward to tell them or even just check your bloods in public but if you're feeling down it might be best to tell them so you don't feel so isolated and weird in comparison. Wishing you all the best!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
All diabetics will experience depression from time to time. It is a big hurdle to encounter, but you are not alone.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
19 years old here, diagnosed type 1 when I was 17. I had to make so many changes to my life but there's no other option really. Keep posting to the forum, there are plenty of people to talk to here and share your experiences with. If possible, find a local diabetic support group to meet up with. If you are struggling with your diabetes care, make more appointments with your doctor/educator/whatever other medical professionals you see. I learnt so much when I was first diagnosed - I felt a bit scared of everything but everyone was really nice and I looked forward to appointments because they were very supportive and always helped me improve. Now that I've had type 1 for longer, I can do more stuff myself, but it's important to get that sort of help as soon as you can.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
If you are feeling down and can't talk to your friends about it then please talk to someone.
Being on here helps but tell your doctor or your family.
Having whatever form of diabetes any of us have (there were only 2 when I started) is not to be embarrassed about but its a long time since I was 18 so can't remember how I felt and my own battle with depression started in my 40s.
That's how I know you need to share your thoughts with someone.

I wish you all the very best

Tony