1st attempt at low carb meal

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
If you want to have toast, try Burgen Soya and Linseed bread. Many people have success with that but you still have to test. It is available at most supermarkets. Keep it in the freezer and toast a slice from frozen.
Morrisons Protein bread contains only 8 grams of carb,so quite good

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Tinned tomatoes don't seem to spike me at all. I only have one plum tomatoes with a little juice though, not half a tin. Maybe cut out the bread and then just lower the tomato intake and see what happens

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the advice and links. Bread will always be a downfall for me. I absolutely love toast. But I will endeavour to have it on a very occasional basis.

Giving up bread was really hard for me too. I miss having toast, butter, and jam, also the crust of freshly baked artisan bread. Yum!

But once I realized that I can still have everything associated with bread - (sandwich contents thrown into a salad bowel, a side of fresh berries in place of jam are two examples) - it got a lot easier.

Bread is bland, though I do like it's convenience and texture, and it is satisfying for a brief period of time. If you think about it, what we eat with the bread is where the flavor is!

I eat out once a week at a place where the food is organic, gluten-free - (I have non celiac gluten sensitivity) - and non-GMO. I had a chicken enchilada with avocado crema topping. So good, but the corn tortilla spiked my glucose. A week later, I learned how to make avocado crema - (avocado, sour cream, fresh cilantro - also known as coriander - and fresh lime juice). So good!

Then it occurred to me to make a simple dish with meat from a recently roasted chicken, enchilada sauce, and cheddar cheese heated, then topped with the avocado crema. Oh my, it was every bit as good as the chicken enchilada, even without the corn tortilla!

You're off to a great start. Keep going! :)

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I thought I'd starve without bread. I hadn't realised just how much of the stuff I was eating. I baked my own bread but now I only miss the speciality breads like brioche and plan to eat it only very special occasions.
I made some stonking mistakes at the begining of low carbing but less than four months down the line and tbh I am getting used to putting meals together with little fuss. We were all beginners once. Some of us still are! Good luck.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another challenge for me was giving up cookies which contain lots of sugar!

So while I was learning how to do the low carb diet (and making lots of mistakes a long the way) - if I had an insane craving for sugar and a grain flour, I kept a box of peanut butter cookies in my freezer and would eat one, just one. This happened perhaps once a week. After a few months I was able to throw the cookies away.

Another food that was hard to give up was corn chips. I recall a few times where I'd put 4 corn chips on a plate, grate some cheddar cheese onto them, then heat briefly in the microwave. I'd eat it very slowly, enjoying every bite. Eventually, I realized it wasn't the corn I was craving, it was the salt, so I started adding salt to my meals, and the craving went away.

In general, we crave sugar, salt, and fat. So long as I include a small amount of low carb berries or a beverage made with juice from a freshly squeezed lemon or lime, with sparkling water and stevia, salt on my food, and one or more healthy fats with each meal, I enjoy the foods I eat today.

It gets easier but it's a bit of a learning curve. Be patient with yourself. :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for the advice and links. Bread will always be a downfall for me. I absolutely love toast. But I will endeavour to have it on a very occasional basis.

I sometimes make this 90 second almond bread. It's great toasted. I'm going to try adding some garlic powder to some this week, I think it'll make a perfectly acceptable alternative to garlic bread.

http://insidekellyskitchen.com/recipe/90-second-almond-bread

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do not know if this is available in the UK but for those in Canada and the US there is something called smartbun. Gluten free, zero carb, very high in both protein and fiber. And they have a taste and texture that is very good. No cardboard lol. The downside is that they must be ordered online and are very expensive. These are hamburger style buns and also make good sandwiches. They do not affect my blood sugar at all.
In the US https://smart-baking.com/about-smartbun/
In Canada http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=smartbun

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For some reason I don't crave bread at all. I remember I loved it but. Owna cold crispy piece of lettuce with my sandwich toppings is preferered. I suppose melted butter wouldn't work so good though Haha.
I never even think about it anymore. Cookies only remind me of gut pain.