1st diabetic pregnancy

Debbid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I'm new to the site and to forums so please bear with me.

I've been diagnosed as T2 diabetic since 2001 and was recently on 500mg Metformin twice a day. My nurse then added 2.5mg of Glibenclamide. My last Hba1c was 8.4.

Just 3 weeks ago, I discovered I was pregnant (now 9 weeks). Whilst my partner and I are very happy (we weren't planning it), I'm scared, dazed and confused. I already have 2 children conceived and born before I was diagnosed and don't know if I'm coming or going!
If I think too hard about what is being said by healthcare professionals and advice on some medical websites, this baby being born at all, furthermore healthy, will be a miracle. I'm considered high risk because of my age (42), my weight (15 1/2 stones) and previous history of miscarriage.

I've been put on insulin (Humulin S)but have still not found how many units are right for me. I'm currently trying 24 units at breakfast, 28 at lunch and 30 at dinner. But then I have to keep in mind what the carb content is in those meals or else it's hypo time. I seem to be having hypos left, right and centre along with feeling sick at times and not feeling like eating. I desperately want to low carb but am finding it hard to adapt to doing this with the insulin. Morning levels are around 7 whilst after dinner is often between 7 & 9 mmol.

I'm so tired, even more so than i was before and find it hard to stop from getting depressed about things going wrong. I'm finding it so hard to think about what the right thing is to do for not only myself but baby too.

I have to say that this site is absolutely wicked. My sister recommended it to me a long time ago and I could never seem to find the time to check it out. You guys are brilliant, so informed, so encouraging and of course, always here!

Any advice much welcomed and appreciated.

willogs

Hi hun,

Can't give you loads of advice as this is also my first full pregnancy with type 1. I was diagnosed last time at 28 weeks but then it never went away after the baby was born. I am on levimir and novorapid but only have very tiny amounts 2-3 units as I am very sensitve to it. My doc wants me between 4-6 at all tests but I find this very hard without hypo'ing. I am now 19 weeks and getting my appetite back, but am still occasionally sick, this inevitabley leads to a hypo, which is a bit of a nightmare coz I don't want to eat but know I have to. You have to remember that you are doing the best for your baby and it is worth it in the end. Try not to get too down and keeping popping on her for advice and chats. Hope all goes in well in the next couple of weeks for you.

Rachel

Debbid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachel

Your comments are much appreciated. I know what you mean about the hypos. It's really difficult because I often don't feel like eating or start feeling sick after a few mouthfuls. I also find it really hard to stay between 4-7mmols but hopefully I'll get there in the end.

I'm due to have my first scan next week so I've got everything crossed for that. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hope your appetite improves and you continue to be ok. If I get to 19 weeks, I'll be over the moon.

Many thanks

Deborah

willogs

I have hit 21 weeks today so feeling really pleased. I have another scan on 21st July so fingers crossed for that one now. Not feeling so sick anymore, thank god. But still struggling to stay low without having a hypo. Going away for a few days next week so that will give me some interesting readings I am sure. Only going to the north east but eating out and lots of activity - it will be like a BS lottery. Hope you are doing ok?