2 for the price of 1 - not for us

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Paul1976 said:
That won't happen luckily Stephen,Remember, 'Farmer Jo' says that they're all rolling in it and counting their big wedge of cash! :thumbup:
My profound apologies:
6931517991_7cbaf1403d_m.jpg

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
THAT'S more like it!! Happy Days!! :D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Tescos latest big offer - 50p per litre off fuel is worthless. All items overpriced.

e.g. Andrex - 2x9 for £10 gave a 10p off voucher.
Morrisons had Andrex for £3, so you paid £4 extra to save £4 on 40 litres.

I went in with an empty tank & didn't buy any of the related offers.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
IanD said:
Tescos latest big offer - 50p per litre off fuel is worthless. All items overpriced.

You need to buy a bigger car Ian! Mine would easily take twice that.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Old MacDonald had a farm
e i ei O
and on that farm he had a herd of cows
e i ei O
With a bit of mastisis here, a bit of foot and mouth there, vets bills here and bonfires there
what a humdinger of a
ei ei O.................. :( :cry: RRB

anyone want to swap with a farmer :?:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Robinredbreast said:
Old MacDonald had a farm
e i ei O
and on that farm he had a herd of cows
e i ei O
With a bit of mastisis here, a bit of foot and mouth there, vets bills here and bonfires there
what a humdinger of a
ei ei O.................. :( :cry: RRB

Spot on RRB!! The hidden side of trying to make a living through the land and having to contend with a mountain of beaurocracy and Servitude to the Big supermarkets! :thumbdown:

Fraddycat

I'm loving Bernard Matthews Roast Turkey breast packets which are just right for lunch with some salad and mayo. Currently in Tescos and Morrisons for a pound. Bargain! Quick, easy snack/lunch food which you can grab and eat.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
IanD said:

You have to be a savvy shopper Ian and get the bargains, when shopping last week we had a voucher from the previous week where you got £9 off a £60 shopping bill, the bill came to £59 so I chucked some kitchen roll on the belt for £1.50 to take the total over £60, final bill was £52 and most of what we bought was on offer.

This week we have a £9 off voucher if you spend £60 and a £5 off voucher if you spend £40....needless to say we'll be back at Tesco's and spending the minimum and getting bread, milk, fruit & veg elsewhere :wink:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
noblehead said:
You have to be a savvy shopper Ian and get the bargains, when shopping last week we had a voucher from the previous week where you got £9 off a £60 shopping bill, the bill came to £59 so I chucked some kitchen roll on the belt for £1.50 to take the total over £60, final bill was £52 and most of what we bought was on offer.

This week we have a £9 off voucher if you spend £60 and a £5 off voucher if you spend £40....needless to say we'll be back at Tesco's and spending the minimum and getting bread, milk, fruit & veg elsewhere :wink:

Wow! If you carry on like that Nigel, you'll end up as rich as one of Jo's farmers!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
Wow! If you carry on like that Nigel, you'll end up as rich as one of Jo's farmers!

Not rich by any stretch of the imagination, I find if you are willing to shop around the savings on your food bill can be quite a lot over a 12 month period, luckily most of the supermarkets and shops we use are within a 2 mile radius.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
noblehead said:
borofergie said:

Not rich by any stretch of the imagination, I find if you are willing to shop around the savings on your food bill can be quite a lot over a 12 month period, luckily most of the supermarkets and shops we use are within a 2 mile radius.

I'm sure that it's worth a lot of money at the end of the year (especially when you consider how much tax you had to pay to earn that money). It's like giving yourself a significant salary increase, and better still it's kinda fun trying to outsmart the supermarkets.

I do something similar, but based around exploiting Clubcard points, which I use to pay for my holiday flights...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
I'm sure that it's worth a lot of money at the end of the year (especially when you consider how much tax you had to pay to earn that money). It's like giving yourself a significant salary increase, and better still it's kinda fun trying to outsmart the supermarkets.

It is so hard to earn but so easily spent, I do often think it's a battle of wits between the big supermarkets and the consumer to see who can make or save the most money :D

Defren

noblehead said:
borofergie said:

It is so hard to earn but so easily spent, I do often think it's a battle of wits between the big supermarkets and the consumer to see who can make or save the most money :D

I can go along with that Nigel. It's only once you begin to look at food as the majority of us on this forum do, can you see what's happening. Because many of us are hyper aware of food, as we must be then it pays for us to become very savvy. I look back pre diagnosis, and I just filled my trolley week after week with pure **** that lined the supermarkets pockets, and of course lined my pancreas and waist line. I'm just so glad I have now seen the light re supermarkets.

Rock on to all the hardworking British farmers, you can always count on my support, nothing beats local safe British meat, fruit and veg!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking this evening:

I everyone switched to healthy food, not necessarily low-carbing, but sensible food - we wouldnt need supermarkets. In fact, 90% of the shelves currently used would be empty.

Sounds good to me.

A

Anonymous

I make sensible food choices just like everyone else here, but I find it easier doing it online. We use Ocado because I can buy and order my low carb/carb-free foods in about 20 seconds flat. Oh, and I've been told I'm posh lol

jopar

And so you should know better than I, that it doesn't matter how skilled or knowledgeable a farmer is, if he's hasn't got sound business skills he's knackered!

And you also know all the various scheme's that subsidise farmers, as well as milk quota's which can also curtail the dairy farmer's ability to make a profit apart from what various supermarket and milk processing companies are willing to pay! Wonder how much difference lifting the milk quota would make to farmers, after all if they sale more than their registered quota they get hit with a levy...

I don't pretend to know the in's and out's of a farming business, but living amongst them all my live, I do know that they are always bemoaning about hardships, even when they've got a wad of notes in their hand... A couple that I've know hit the wall, would have ended up bankrupt even if they been an employee, the money management was that bad and when the farm been sold or re-let to a new tenant farmer, the farm is turned around.. Same business different management!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Extrapolation is suggest a dangerous way to build a view of the world.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ursus262 said:
I make sensible food choices just like everyone else here, but I find it easier doing it online. We use Ocado because I can buy and order my low carb/carb-free foods in about 20 seconds flat. Oh, and I've been told I'm posh lol

Ocado is for people who are too posh to be seen in Waitrose :shock:

I'd do all my shopping in Waitrose if it wasn't for my addiction to Clubcard Points / Avios.

Defren

borofergie said:
ursus262 said:

Ocado is for people who are too posh to be seen in Waitrose :shock:

I'd do all my shopping in Waitrose if it wasn't for my addiction to Clubcard Points / Avios.

I'm glad M&S don't do home delivery, and our store is slightly out the way or I would be bankrupt :lol: it's not just any food, it's M&S food, and it's the best (apart from what I get from the organic farm).

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
jopar said:
And so you should know better than I, that it doesn't matter how skilled or knowledgeable a farmer is, if he's hasn't got sound business skills he's knackered!

And you also know all the various scheme's that subsidise farmers, as well as milk quota's which can also curtail the dairy farmer's ability to make a profit apart from what various supermarket and milk processing companies are willing to pay! Wonder how much difference lifting the milk quota would make to farmers, after all if they sale more than their registered quota they get hit with a levy...

I don't pretend to know the in's and out's of a farming business, but living amongst them all my live, I do know that they are always bemoaning about hardships, even when they've got a wad of notes in their hand... A couple that I've know hit the wall, would have ended up bankrupt even if they been an employee, the money management was that bad and when the farm been sold or re-let to a new tenant farmer, the farm is turned around.. Same business different management!

Jopar,
if there were no subsidise either milk or crops would not be produced or it would be so expensive you and Jo public would not be able to buy it.
You have quite convieniently forgotten the cost of production in your very simplistic view on things.
You live in a town Jopar so unless there is now a city farm where you live then nope you don't live in a farming comunity or have any concept what so ever as to how to run a farm.

A wad of notes in their hands! dream on no one carries money these days. As soon as the milk cheque comes in it's gone out again to pay for all the feed and any wages for workers etc.
A couple that I've know hit the wall, would have ended up bankrupt even if they been an employee, the money management was that bad and when the farm been sold or re-let to a new tenant farmer, the farm is turned around.. Same business different management
You obviously knew them well if you don't know if the farm was let or sold, there's one heck of a difference.

Perhaps with your management skills you could offers farmers your expertise, I'm sure they would be delighted to take advice from you.
Just a word of warning though :) don't what ever you do stand to close to a slurry pit when offering this advice :lol: