2 for the price of 1 - not for us

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know, if I was still a farmer, and i had mates who were telling the internet I was **** at balancing my books, managing my buness, and rolling in money having a cushy life whilst lying about my working conditions................they wouldnt be my mates anymore.

shop

Paul1976 said:
Jo,My garden backs onto farmland but that doesn't qualify me as Old MacDonalds accountant!

+1 Paul xxx

I was brought up surrounded by fields and farms. Being married to a farmer now I see and experience things that I certainly didnt simply by living in the countryside. Its like anything you cannot truely know until you have lived it!!!

And what Chip shop owner milks, cleans out the parlour, goes on to harvest, milk again, see to heiffers and calves some who dont feed properly , cow has mastitis (twice daily), sees to passports, takes calves to market, mucks out, up in the night for another calving. Worming ( store cattle. ) When the cattle are out, firstly checking all fencing to ensure it is secure, mending fencing that poachers have made a big hole in, replacing electric shepherd that has been stolen, bringing cattle back in for pre movement testing and if TB found a 6 month hold on movement, Grassland management ....muck spreading, harrowing, rolling. In winter keeping water from freezing so that cattle have access to water ( pretty **** neccessary!!) Ministry coming to test for TB ( Animal has come from a herd who 1 has been tested for TB) Buying corn, making silage and the paperwork. And store cattle are not like dairy who are used to being handled, they can be wild. Really easy to deal with NOT!!

Also animals dont stand still as good as gold like a deep fat fryer whilst being mended!!!!

My Hubby's family have farmed dairy, pigs, chickens, sheep and store cattle Have produced potatoes,hay haylage,silage, straw, grains. I am not dissing a chip shop owner or any successful business person. But to truely see what farmers do you have to be a part of it.

To compare the 2 is just so far from comparable it is untrue!

So I really have to disagree with you on that one Jo.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Paul1976 said:
borofergie said:
jopar said:
Business is pretty simple for the right person of cause!

:?:
I'm perplexed with that one too Stephen! :crazy:

Could it mean having the right tools for the right jobs, I wonder :?!!!!!!!! If ONLY life in general was so pretty simple eh RRB

shop

jopar said:
CarbRok

I'm actually laughing here...

I think that some of my mates would be very interested that you don't consider them to be farmers living in a farming community they will be somewhat bemused! I now have to wonder what my Uncle Tom did for a living, as according to you he wasn't a farmer and he didn't live in a farming community... And it's a figment of my imagination the various tractors and cattle lorries that go past the top of my road!

Oh by the way, do you know how many working farm yards/farm houses I've got near me! First farm field is around 700-800yards or so away from my front door, and I can walk to my nearest working farm yard/farm house within 5 minutes! There's another 4 working farm housing within a mile of where I live..

That's one hell of a lot of inner city farms :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I assume companies Like Mole Valley farmers (that again I can reach on foot within about 10-15 minutes) are selling animal feed and farm equipment to feed feral kids in the inner city, and for inner city home owners to cultivate their gardens!

As to business..

And you can come up with anything you like, a farm is no different than running any other business, the objective is the same.. To make money!

Vet bills, Weather is no difference than what my friend faces with his chip shop, in his case it's calling in an engineer to fix one of his fat fryers... Or perhaps losing all the power due to a power cut!

Oh yes, the recession has had a impact on his business cutting his profits back...

I've spent a life time, listening to farmers whinning about hard times etc...

Yet there is still plenty of working farms surrounding me... The crops are still growing, cattle and sheep still grazing..

Jopar,

If you had learned just a fraction of what I have learned in the last 8 years being married to a farmer you would know that:

1/ Farmers are farmers first and formost and busnessmen second, granted some better at the business side than others. However if they couldnt do the farming bit they would be in trouble. The ones who are good at the business side hopefully go on to make a great success and all power to them I say despite the obsticles being thrown at them.

2/ The farmers who say whine about hard times have probably known hard times that the likes of you and I may be lucky enough never to know. ( how would you fancy having a £250,000 overdraft and the milk chq doesnt even cover the monthly interest!! I know I would be a tad worried!!!)

3/ I am glad to hear that farms around you are still going well. Maybe the farmers just have to keep going because without they would have no home, no life. Farming is all consuming because in most cases there is simply not time in the day for anything else. Some old farmers keep going until they drop because they would simply wither away if they couldnt continue thier lifeswork. I think a little respect for some of these people wouldnt go amis!!!!

I grew up in the country surrounded by farms ( I hadnt a ****** clue what farming life is really like!!!) I have had to adapt and gain a different mindset to what I had.

Sorry to have a rant but I feel it wrong for you to make such statements about something you obviously know little about. If you did you wouldnt be making such judgements!!!

Lucy.

Defren

shop said:
Paul1976 said:
Even my staple food,the humble cauliflower,has badly suffered because of this shockingly wet summer,my local farm shop has a major shortage this year due to crops being ruined.

Awful Paul, not surprised one bit!

Lucy.

I'm not either, I am getting some from the greengrocer, but so far none from the organic farm. I had my delivery today, and they always pop a wee note in with the order letting you know whats happening on the farm, and what they are doing, and they said today the weather is causing all kinds of problems.

I wish the cauli would hurry up, I eat tons of the stuff :lol:

Defren

Paul1976 said:
Jo,My garden backs onto farmland but that doesn't qualify me as Old MacDonalds accountant!

My village is also surrounded by fields and farms but I haven't quite reached the lofty heights as a landowner yet!!

Back on track - kind of. I was shopping yesterday, I scored for a bargain on tins of tuna and loo rolls, not quite BOGOF but I'm not complaining. :lol:

Defren

shop said:
Paul1976 said:

+1 Paul xxx

I was brought up surrounded by fields and farms. Being married to a farmer now I see and experience things that I certainly didnt simply by living in the countryside. Its like anything you cannot truely know until you have lived it!!!

And what Chip shop owner milks, cleans out the parlour, goes on to harvest, milk again, see to heiffers and calves some who dont feed properly , cow has mastitis (twice daily), sees to passports, takes calves to market, mucks out, up in the night for another calving. Worming ( store cattle. ) When the cattle are out, firstly checking all fencing to ensure it is secure, mending fencing that poachers have made a big hole in, replacing electric shepherd that has been stolen, bringing cattle back in for pre movement testing and if TB found a 6 month hold on movement, Grassland management ....muck spreading, harrowing, rolling. In winter keeping water from freezing so that cattle have access to water ( pretty **** neccessary!!) Ministry coming to test for TB ( Animal has come from a herd who 1 has been tested for TB) Buying corn, making silage and the paperwork. And store cattle are not like dairy who are used to being handled, they can be wild. Really easy to deal with NOT!!

Also animals dont stand still as good as gold like a deep fat fryer whilst being mended!!!!

You owe me a roll of kitchen towel young lady, I read your post and spluttered water all over my screen and had to rescue it by grabbing a roll of KT. I just pictured Molly the milk maid with Daisy and Buttercup all coming to a grinding halt while the milking stool had a leg repaired. :lol:

I have to say, I am really struggling to see a connection between a farm and deep fat fryer? Sausages. burgers :?: :!: :lol: :silent:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
jopar said:
CarbRok

I'm actually laughing here...

I think that some of my mates would be very interested that you don't consider them to be farmers living in a farming community they will be somewhat bemused! I now have to wonder what my Uncle Tom did for a living, as according to you he wasn't a farmer and he didn't live in a farming community... And it's a figment of my imagination the various tractors and cattle lorries that go past the top of my road!
Would that be Uncle Tom cobbly an all? I didn't mention any of your relatives. Tractors etc do go on the road they go from A to B cattle lorries travel all over the country they even go on the ferry, but that doesnt qualify you to be an expert in farming.
Oh by the way, do you know how many working farm yards/farm houses I've got near me! First farm field is around 700-800yards or so away from my front door, and I can walk to my nearest working farm yard/farm house within 5 minutes! There's another 4 working farm housing within a mile of where I live..
I know exactly how many Jo as I used to live down your way :) But again having a farm anywhere nr you in the middle of town doesn't qualify you to manage a farm or critis farmers.
That's one hell of a lot of inner city farms :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I assume companies Like Mole Valley farmers (that again I can reach on foot within about 10-15 minutes) are selling animal feed and farm equipment to feed feral kids in the inner city, and for inner city home owners to cultivate their gardens!
Mole valley farmers don't make me laugh Jo they cater for jo public as well as the farmers. They sell some lovely ham and bacon. Clothes as well. You name it they sell it.Some lovely doggy toys as well.
As to business..

So why haven't you set up and run a business if it's that simple?
And you can come up with anything you like, a farm is no different than running any other business, the objective is the same.. To make money!
Quite right. Except farming involves livestock and deadstock at times plus the weather.
Vet bills, Weather is no difference than what my friend faces with his chip shop, in his case it's calling in an engineer to fix one of his fat fryers... Or perhaps losing all the power due to a power cut!
Please miss what world do you live in. If a cow or bullock dies it's money down the drain no engineer can fix that
Oh yes, the recession has had a impact on his business cutting his profits back...
perhaps he a lousy cook or over priced

I've spent a life time, listening to farmers whinning about hard times etc...

Yet there is still plenty of working farms surrounding me... The crops are still growing, cattle and sheep still grazing..
Obviously you know nothing about yields or condition scoring or weights for market and the extra time taken when the weather is bad thus longer gaps between sales of stock. Or even market prices. A 6mth old lamb is selling at market for £80 out of that the farmer has to pay inocculation cost plus wormers and any vet bills he also has to pay transport fees to the market do all the paper work involved. Then the kick comes the ruddy supermarket sells a leg of lamb for £18/20 . Where is the justice in that?
Yes the farmers moan and quite right to. 6mths to rear a lamb for £80 - costs and the supermarket with no risks involved sell a leg fo £20.
Wheres the justice in that?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
jopar said:
Farming is just like another other business, and with any business a loss isn't always a loss! Most business will mark up a loss or profit, based on whether there business achieved the projected profit for that year!

Oh, I missed this whole discussion! If you are a limited company and you do that then that is what is called 'cooking the books' and is er, illegal*. That will also require your accountants to be either (a) no good or (b) complicit and thereby risking themselves being struck off.

Any limited company (dormant and small companies aside) must produce public accurate annual statements of account, the business itself can (and will) set itself targets but that is not part of the annual accounts - all that those are concerned with are the revenues and costs to business plus fixed assets, money in the bank and debt. Like I said if you falsify those and you are caught bad things will happen.

Dillinger

*if you are a sole practitioner or partnership I don't believe these will be posted at Companies House but you have to submit them to HMRC and again HMRC will probably not be best pleased if you decide to declare a loss when you've made a profit because of some figure you had in your head.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone, just a word on the "I agree", "+1" type posts.

Bear in mind that these can come across in a "see, you're wrong Mr/Ms X" (especially when they come in numbers).

We're seeing ever more of these posts and I've got a bit tired of seeing them as a casual observer.

Any questions, please PM me.

Many thanks
Benedict

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Administrator said:

Bear in mind that these can come across in a "see, you're wrong Mr/Ms X" (especially when they come in numbers).

We're seeing ever more of these posts and I've got a bit tired of seeing them as a casual observer.

Many thanks
Benedict

+1 :lol:

shop

Administrator said:

Many thanks
Benedict

I can see yor point Benedict, however I have +1nd when a fellow poster has been more succesful at putting thier point accross than I would. I am not the most succsinct (spelling?) and am not very good at putting my point accross.
I do object to the constant derogatory comments about Farmers during this thread. I am a Farmers wife and have found them quite offensive.

None of us agree with derogatory comments about any group whether it be religion, culture, race, or whatever. Yes we all have opinions and as part of a community choose when to voice them based on whome it may offend, and as such we filter what we actually post. So to obect to a poster agreeing with the way in which someone has put forward a valid argument to stand up for something they know more than most about ( Carbsrock has a much more experience than I do in farming and is therefore able to give accurate figures etc to substantiate her point .) I feel is a little unfair.

Lucy xxx

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I wonder if a 'Like' option,as Facebook has would be a good alternative? I've heard other members mention this also in the past.I too struggle to express myself and when another poster does it so well I like to acknowledge a good point well made and a 'Like' option would be better than threads being made much longer than they need be by having to type "+1"....Just a thought.

shop

Paul1976 said:
I wonder if a 'Like' option,as Facebook has would be a good alternative? I've heard other members mention this also in the past.I too struggle to express myself and when another poster does it so well I like to acknowledge a good point well made and a 'Like' option would be better than threads being made much longer than they need be by having to type "+1"....Just a thought.

I "LIKE" that idea Paul :)

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
shop said:
Paul1976 said:

Thanks Lucy! It would be nice if it was considered as an option depending on what the community thinks about it. :)

Defren

Paul1976 said:
shop said:
Paul1976 said:

Thanks Lucy! It would be nice if it was considered as an option depending on what the community thinks about it. :)

I like this idea as well. If we like a post and agree with it yet can't put +1 which I do, then without a post full of waffle basically saying "+1" I agree then a "like" button seems the best way. For the life of me I can't see why a +1 would be offensive but - whatever!!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Defren said:
I like this idea as well. If we like a post and agree with it yet can't put +1 which I do, then without a post full of waffle basically saying "+1" I agree then a "like" button seems the best way. For the life of me I can't see why a +1 would be offensive but - whatever!!

Defren

borofergie said:
Defren said:

:wink:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
shop said:
Administrator said:

Many thanks
Benedict

I can see yor point Benedict, however I have +1nd when a fellow poster has been more succesful at putting thier point accross than I would. I am not the most succsinct (spelling?) and am not very good at putting my point accross.
I do object to the constant derogatory comments about Farmers during this thread. I am a Farmers wife and have found them quite offensive.

None of us agree with derogatory comments about any group whether it be religion, culture, race, or whatever. Yes we all have opinions and as part of a community choose when to voice them based on whome it may offend, and as such we filter what we actually post. So to obect to a poster agreeing with the way in which someone has put forward a valid argument to stand up for something they know more than most about ( Carbsrock has a much more experience than I do in farming and is therefore able to give accurate figures etc to substantiate her point .) I feel is a little unfair.

Lucy xxx

I am allowed to say that I concur( I think a good word) with the above statement by shop ? and I must say I have never used the +1 sign in posting and I think the above staement is very fair indeed :)

I have just watch a BBC2 programme on the Amish. The family have just bought a farm and they said that they believe God looks after farmers and there nothing better than working the land, planting a seed and watching it grow. Simplicity at its best :thumbup: RRB