2 hour testing

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chinese curries tend to be thickened with a lot of flour - if you fancy curry try an Indian one preferably a dryer tandoori or a saag - Indian restaurants tend not to use flour to thicken

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks winnie for the support. I know its going to take a long time so i am going to stick with it for now . I thought I could crack this in a few weeks but boy its hard as i am a really fussy eater and having a family at meal times when they are eating normal stuff and I can't is hard. I am starting to come to terms with my condition and even taking the pi** out of myself to the family now. One thing I would ask you and anybody alse is i am going to Majorca for 4 days to get over the mild depression and shock. How bad would it be to go away and forget about it all ( eat and drink what i want ) for the 4 days.

Thanks
Phil

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, what a great question.

There are four players when it comes to diabetes: diet, exercise, managing stress, and getting adequate sleep. To that I'd add getting enough plant fiber in our diet to support and improve the diversity of our gut flora.

I live in the US so have am unfamiliar with Majorca. Now that I've Googled it, I'd like to join you. ;)

The weather there is similar to what we have here in August - (warm during the day, cooler in the early morning hours) - so you might be able to get some good walks and swims in during the day. It certainly would bring your stress levels down and allow you to rest and relax.

As for the food and beverages, perhaps you could eat low carb for breakfast, perhaps lunch too, then eat whatever you want in the evening. I have to say though, I'd be surprised if they didn't have lots of wonderful low carb food choices for each meal. I'm assuming fine dining is available for all meals.

I encourage you to stay away from the sugary mixed drinks and beers which likely will make you feel absolutely awful the next day. Red wine and spirits are both fine on low carb.

Listening to you, it sounds like your body is converting over from carb burning to fat burning (ketosis). It's a miserable place to be - (low energy and mood; irritable) - often takes two or more weeks without cheating, but once the conversion is complete, you'll have lots of energy, and your mood likely will improve too.

As for your 4 day time away, the worst that could happen is that you'd just need to re-start the conversion process again when you get back. But you've almost done it once, so you'll get there next time. :)

When you get back, I'd really like to hear how it went. Sounds lovely. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just want to add that I'm heading out to the office for a few hours so likely won't be back in time to respond again today. My hope for you is that you're family will see in time how much healthier you are eating low carb and will begin eating more like you. My husband did after six months or so. His weight and lab work improved, so he really likes it now. Hopefully your spouse will too in time. :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is nothing special about "the 2hr test", it does not tell you what to eat, it does not tell you if your diabetes is under control.
However, it is a great way to learn what meals you should never have again.

Hence it is a good way for people to learn and motivate themselves. However just because the reading is not too bad, it is not a reason to eat something like chips that we all know from the science is not a good option for us.