2 hours from when?

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Guys,

This is such a lame question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

When you say to test 2 hours after eating is that 2 hours after starting a meal or 2 hours after finishing?

I often test and then by the time I've eaten my meal half an hour can have passed - more if I'm out in a restaurant for a meal.

So please, some advice needed!

carb-counting-mum

I've been wondering the same thing, so thanks for posting! I have tested my daughter 2 hours after the start of a meal. If it lasts longer than 20 minutes or so to eat the meal, then I have tested her 2 hours and 15 min. after.
It will be interesting to see what others do.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by my team 2 hrs from start of meal - I am T2 on meds not insulin so may be different for T1 or insulin dependant T2 - When I test I alwasys test 2 hrs from start of meal -

did very quick google and found this info
http://diabetes.webmd.com/blood-glucose

2-hour postprandial blood sugar measures blood glucose exactly 2 hours after you start eating a meal. This is not a test used to diagnose diabetes.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's 2 hours from beginning the meal. By then the BG should be on its way down. wih really good control, it should just about be back to the baseline. Research has shown that the highest level s reached about 75 minutes after the first bite.
Hana

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your help everyone.

Lovinglife: I am so impressed by your weightloss - WELL DONE!!! I hope I can manage to move some of the flab that I have in the months/years to come.

:thumbup:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought it was two hours after injecting insulin and thats how i count. I guess it the same as two hours after starting the meal if you inject with the meal. what if you inject a bit earlier due to high levels? :problem: