Type 1 2 year old diabetic

susan0404

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello my 2 year has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I’m frantic with worrying her bloods are up and down and since having the flu jab 2 days ago she has at night had a hypo which I treated with glucose and a biscuit as advised to find she is in a hyper state a few hours later. I’m so anxious and distressed - can anyone please help ?

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Susan
Sorry to hear about your anxiety which is very understandable.
I had my flu jab as a 68 year old today with no bad symptoms at all.
I can only suggest you continue to monitor readings and give carbs or insulin if it is being used and consult a doctor asap.
Sorry I can't be of more help but someone else might.

Agares

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OK. I now feel helpful. I have also been diabetic since the Age of two. I hit episodes of highs and lows when having a flu jab, I was always advised on taking extra units when high and eating a little more when low. My problem is always I never feel like eating for a few days after. I would advise getting an opinion from your doctor.

Reactions: Brillpaul

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very difficult to advise on such a little dot. But don't be panicked by the hyper, are we saying bloods in
the teens. Keep testing her bloods & the chances are they will start to drop .it's very easy to over correct a hypo food wise & hyper insulin wise it then becomes a roller coaster. So small corrections are in order.
As an adult with a blood sugar of 3.8 at a diabetic clinical app the consultant insisted I drank 100 mlls of lucozade & eat a round of toast. The result c being when I arrived home my blood was 17. I knew all I needed was a few sweets. But a short period of high bloods is not the end of the world . So don't panic.
Hope this helps a little. If her bloods go into the 20s please phone for medical advise ,because we can't advise on insulin doses.