20 week scan on Wednesday feeling nervous..

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all :) been a few weeks since I last posted my obsessive worries I'm just so glad for some support from others who understand
Anyhow I have my 20 week scan on Wednesday which I'm very excited about ( have been feeling baby kick ) but also very very nervous for ... My team have been drumming it into me that if at conception my hba1 wasn't a1 perfect (as it is now) then baby has a strong possibility for abnormality or disabilities /heart defects etc ... This pregnancy was planned but we were on holiday around the time of conception and I wasn't AS tight with control ... To be honest we had been trying since our last two mc ( both because of bad control) that I didn't even think it would happen we had been trying for a year...I'm just so scared on Wednesday they will say something is wrong ... Has anybody had a higher.. Or not a1 perfect (not perfect ) hba1 round conception ... And baby's been ok? My hba1 is now 5.3 so is pretty good and has been since I found out at 2 (4 weeks pregnant) so hopefully this does make a difference ... I was taking 5mg of folic from 8 weeks ( doctors balls up!) but I was taking 14 400mg folic acid tablets a day which I calculated equated to 5mg up until 8 weeks ... I'm just worried as I had such bad morning sickness too dos the tablets stay down ....
I'm so sorry for rambling on I guess I just need some peoples real life stories (good or bad plz ) and a bit of reassurance please
Also anyone want to take a guess at baby's gender ?:)
Thank you for any replies and for reading this far down of a crazy pregnant ladies worries ! Xxx

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 1,079

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
hi all :) been a few weeks since I last posted my obsessive worries I'm just so glad for some support from others who understand
Anyhow I have my 20 week scan on Wednesday which I'm very excited about ( have been feeling baby kick ) but also very very nervous for ... My team have been drumming it into me that if at conception my hba1 wasn't a1 perfect (as it is now) then baby has a strong possibility for abnormality or disabilities /heart defects etc ... This pregnancy was planned but we were on holiday around the time of conception and I wasn't AS tight with control ... To be honest we had been trying since our last two mc ( both because of bad control) that I didn't even think it would happen we had been trying for a year...I'm just so scared on Wednesday they will say something is wrong ... Has anybody had a higher.. Or not a1 perfect (not perfect ) hba1 round conception ... And baby's been ok? My hba1 is now 5.3 so is pretty good and has been since I found out at 2 (4 weeks pregnant) so hopefully this does make a difference ... I was taking 5mg of folic from 8 weeks ( doctors balls up!) but I was taking 14 400mg folic acid tablets a day which I calculated equated to 5mg up until 8 weeks ... I'm just worried as I had such bad morning sickness too dos the tablets stay down ....
I'm so sorry for rambling on I guess I just need some peoples real life stories (good or bad plz ) and a bit of reassurance please
Also anyone want to take a guess at baby's gender ?:)
Thank you for any replies and for reading this far down of a crazy pregnant ladies worries ! Xxx
Big hugs!! It sounds like you've been working hard at your bgs. :)

Reactions: Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Tilly_S Lovely scan pic. My guess is a boy :)

It's perfectly normal to,worry. My HbA1C was very good prior and at conception, but I still worried and imagined all kinds of things. Your figures sound ok - there are ladies here who had high HbA1Cs and went on to have perfectly healthy babies :) Lots of women :)

Your folic acid tablet issue sounds very annoying but as you compensated for that then that's excellent :)

Every pregnancy - diabetic or not - has a risk of problems, but as you've clearly paid so much attention to,your HbA1C and even sorted the folic acid problem yourself, then I really don't see how your risk is anything other than low :)

Think about the joy of seeing your little one on a scan. The 20 week scan is amazing. You can see so much detail. It moved me to tears. Look forward to that and put your worries to one side :)

Enjoy it and good luck!

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Tilly_S the lowest my hba1c was throughout my whole pregnancy was 5.7 and I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby boy weighing 6lb 6oz. He needed no intervention after being born other than a slight top up of colostrum as he's sugars were ever so slightly low but after that was perfect!

It sounds like your doing amazingly and the docs just have to warn you of all possibilities so don't read to much into it...

Good luck xx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks ladies ! Not sure how I feel now scan is tomorrow .... I have faith I'm doing everything I can as I think my hba1c was 31 at 8 or 10 weeks ( I think)
I just worry mainly as I don't know what my hba1c was at conception .... We had been trying for a year since my mc so I just didn't expect it ... I will update tomorrow xxx

Reactions: azure and Prem51

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My HbA1C was through the roof at time of conception and my little girl was absolutely perfect.

Good luck with your scan and try not to worry too much :)

jade88

Hi Tilly don't let them scare you! My hbac1 was 7 at conception but like you happened in holiday so had quite a few highs around that time! By 20 weeks I got it down to 5.3 then went up to 6.4 during third trimester! I had a perfectly healthy boy with no complications.
Sounds like your doing amazing keep up the good work! xxx

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I am 18 weeks this week and have my 20 week scan on Valentine's Day. My HbA1c when I was given the go ahead was 6.4% (46 mmol/mol) back in about September-ish, pretty sure I am due another test soon! Been really struggling with lows and rebound highs hoping everything with my little bean is OK though... it really worries me I am not careful enough and should be doing more, even though I am doing the best I can!
Hope the scan goes or has gone well for you today! Xx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for the reply Hun :) scan showed a healthy baby BOY (I have a son already ) I was more worried about any defects obviously but so far things are looking good .... *touch wood* so hopefully my hba1 at conception was ok! Only thing is I have a v low placenta almost covering cervix so if it's not moved by 32 weeks il need a section which I really don't want ... But baby's healthy so far so I'm just thanking the Lord for that so far ... I relate to the sugar issues mine daily can drop from 1.2 to 8-9! The lows are gettin better (well not passing out so much!) but for me they're mange able I was told by consultant with my son that lows affect mumma highs affect baby which makes me feel better I'd rather be a little low than high ...are u on a pump? X please update us with your scan I utterly relate how nerve wracking it is ... No amount of worrying will change anything so try to enjoy pregnancy and remember baby's got this far ...morbid way to look at it but doc said. To me if your blood sugars were really that bad you're body would of mc pregnancy earlier most likely (I had two mcs last year due to bad sugars..) so think positive :) keep your chin up and remember your doing everything in your power to keep your baby safe xxx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Big head But feeling so relieved honestly thank you for everyone for their reassurance it did actually help me! Xx

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 334

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also had my retinal screening today don't get results back for 6 weeks but just from pics the doc said looking good so for now I'm relieved! Xx

Reactions: azure

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww yay! Glad all looks good, must be such a relief a boy, how exciting! I think my hubby would love a son, I have a feeling my little one is a girl. We will see who's right in just over a week - either way as long as they are healthy we don't reeeally mind what they are.
I have lost my signs of hypo until about 2.4, not best pleased but keep being told they will come back up to 3-4 in time. Luckily never had a really bad hypo, always conscious and able to walk, talk and get myself sugar, even at 1.4! My rebounds are 11-15 even when I have only had the recommended amount to treat a hypo. We also think I have been having hypos in the night I don't always pick up, wake up sometimes at 15 having gone to bed at 5/6. that makes me worry no end and feel rubbish about myself.
I am enjoying pregnancy, amazed by how much the bump is coming on week by week! I guess that's a good way to look at it really, had one mc before so happy this ones got this far and have made a real effort to get the diabetes in check over the last 2 years because I haven't always acknowledged it, never tested BG or gave insulin (never going back to that!!)
I have a screen next Friday for my eyes, hopefully it's still background that showed up in my first screen and not gone on to anything else! Glad everything is looking good with you and baby xx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning :)
You sound exactly like I was pre ttc or pregnancy ! I didn't test my blood sugars or own a meter since I was about 17 I used to skip insulin and just take it before bed ... How awful is that now I look back ! This is why I am / was so worried about my retinal screen results the damaged I must of caused must show somewhere .... I'm praying that that's all clear too
I had this problem with night highs no matter how much lantis I gave !! From early in pregnancy iv been setting 2 hourly might alarms and if it's a bit low (ok my a bit low is 1.2 haha) I set an alarm for in an hour to check it and correct if needs be Depending on the food Iv worked out how much I need for what level luckily I tested at 2-3 am this morning 5 .0 which was great I then snoozed my 5 am alarm and woke at 7 to 7.9! Do these night alarms are essential to me with your eye screening the last one you went too ( I'm awful I havnt been since I was 8!!) dos they tell u u had background before doing the report or did the report tell u that?x
With regards to re bounds personally for me this prob sounds awful but I eat then I know my hormones or whatever will send me sky high so whilst eating I take insulin 3-4 unit! After an hour or two I'm back to a nice 4-5 on my meter ... Without it god knows what I'd be !!That's just what works for me I was utterly convinced I was having a girl honestly I thought I was mystic meg it's because I got my gut feeling right with my son ... Apparently I don't know myself as much as I thought lol I'd even picked a name , brought girl things I was just gob smacked at having a boy but over the moon for the good scan results
When is your scan? You prob said but I can't remember I'm so scatty lol I will be keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you please update this thread when you've had it ... And in the meantime if u need a chat then Xx

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Will you have a scan Tilly before delivery? I had placenta praevia (so). Or so they thought, had a ceasarian, turned out I was ok. He was my 4th, and they thought scans were dangerous so didn't do one. How things have changed in 27 years.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We'll have got usual 28 week, 34,38 week scans and an extra one at 32 weeks to check on placenta .. How did u find a section ? In terms of healing ? And also your partner bonding with the baby ? Sorry if that sounds silly X X

Ali2003io

Hi Tilly_S, sorry to get involved but i think you must wait and see how the scan is going; I got pregnant last May and I delivered my baby girl last monday...it was a planned pregnancy by me and my partner but unplanned with the diabetic team..my sugar levels were huge(betwen 15 and 25) every single day and my consultat and obstreticin advice me to stop the pregnancy as there are way to many risc...first scan was fine, and when we spoke again the obstretician Said again that who knows what the 18 weeks one will bring... i didn t give up, lower my sugar levels, my last hba1c was 6,5 not Even Close to perfect..any way the Little one is healty nothing to worry about... good Luck to you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
aww congratulations tilly, glad the scan shows a healthy, snuggled baby.
i'm currently 10 weeks along, with my first 12 week scan on the 20th feb. i'm so nervous that something could,might, will be found.
although my hB1c has been ok before conception at 5.8 they have said it could be lower. my blood sugars are also spiking even though i'm carb counting through the lifestykle insulinx. i'm still on pen injections havent been given the pump.
i too get lows of 1.4 which i'm aware of so i can treate them. apart from when sleeping, i have down the same thing by setting alarms. i'm the same as you worrying about the highs, they usually reach 15ml sometimes an hour after food. i'm going to try and give my insluin 30minutes to work before eating as usually its 10- 15 mins in my busy lifestyle.
looking forward to all your helpful tips and hints.....

also i have a question about strep B, has anyone had the antiboitics for this in the later stages of pregnacy? did thye offer it to you?? as a few of my non- diabetic friends have a complications once their babys arrive.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks ladies taking it day by day now staying positive next scan is 7 weeks away fingers crossed placenta moves !:)
Doing everything in my power to make sure baby is ok... My son 7 years ago was unplanned I have no idea what hba1 was before for him but my pregnancy was healthy and he weighed a nice 7lb3oz not bad for 38 weeks :) just more stressful I guess when it's planned and your more aware of risks ... Everyday I'm great full I'm still pregnant and have a healthy baby one day closer to meeting him❤️

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
aww congratulations tilly, glad the scan shows a healthy, snuggled baby.
i'm currently 10 weeks along, with my first 12 week scan on the 20th feb. i'm so nervous that something could,might, will be found.
although my hB1c has been ok before conception at 5.8 they have said it could be lower. my blood sugars are also spiking even though i'm carb counting through the lifestykle insulinx. i'm still on pen injections havent been given the pump.
i too get lows of 1.4 which i'm aware of so i can treate them. apart from when sleeping, i have down the same thing by setting alarms. i'm the same as you worrying about the highs, they usually reach 15ml sometimes an hour after food. i'm going to try and give my insluin 30minutes to work before eating as usually its 10- 15 mins in my busy lifestyle.
looking forward to all your helpful tips and hints.....

also i have a question about strep B, has anyone had the antiboitics for this in the later stages of pregnacy? did thye offer it to you?? as a few of my non- diabetic friends have a complications once their babys arrive.

I was exactly the same for my 12 week scan it's only natural but 5.8 hba1 is really good! Everything could be lower yeah but I got a bollocking for having hba1 of 31 so it's no win really lol 5.8 is not a risk at all! Most are given the go ahead to ttc at 7 or below that's what my team said... I'm still on pen injections not allowed a pump yet iv been waiting 15 years lol I find it easier I like to feel in control personally though , going through pregnancy and getting used to a pump will be stressful to me Stick with what your comfy on, my main advice is if your night sugars are high don't be scared to up your background insulin it's def helped me which means I inject less fast acting and wake up with a good 4-6 blood sugar now :) also if u feel u need to ajust your carb count ratio then do it and see what works for you early pregnancy I reduced mine , now iv doubled it ... When that placenta kicks in you can shoot up on the same doses u had before ... It's usually around 18-20 weeks this happens though , for now at that stage I was fighting low sugars tbh I didn't mind them they don't harm baby it's just the highs ... How long after eating from a low do u test? I find testing an hour then two then three helps as I know when I need to correct to make sure it doesn't get too high..sounds counterproductive but I can of eaten something to raise my sugars and I know it will shoot me up hours after so an hour after eating I inject a few units depending on what iv eaten just to stop it and I end up with a good 5-7 blood sugar :) what are your doses for fast acting and background insulin? Sounds like u need to either ajust carb count a bit or background if in doubt ask your team though:) have u been put on aspirin yet?
Sorry no experience with strep b il ask my sister who I think had this and get back to you xx