2nd Blood test looming at the end of next week

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I am looking in relatively good shape ahead of next week's blood-letting! This will be the follow up from the ones in June/July and are when he expected to be able to take them.

Here's what I have worked out since that fateful day!
1) After the initial two-week morbid fascination of "what if I eat this... WOAH" I think me and my Libre scanner have reached an understanding.
2) FBG is generally around 6-8 (was anywhere between 15-17 in the early days and has come down gradually with blips when I was in the US for obvious reasons!)
3) These are obviously just estimates, but it is coming down which for me is the important thing. We would be having a VERY different conversation if I was still in the high teens when I scanned every day, I am sure.
4) My weight has stabilised and stayed around the 10st 8ish levels since the diagnosis which again shows me that I CAN control when I am at home and not at a tournament (which to be fair I knew already). After dropping a stone and a half in a matter of months, loss is looking a little more gradual now which feel a bit better.
5) The biggest change I have made is to work until I can guarantee to get to the gym in the day so that I can do some stuff on a spin bike, and get in the pool avoiding the old biddies with absolutely NO boundaries who hog the pool and then the steam room after their Aqua-Zumba. Seriously their steam-room discussions would make Caligula blush!

Things I hope will come out of these bloods
1) hbA1c down considerably. It was 111 (12.3%) and on the libre averages I hope to be around half that - STILL HIGH, I KNOW but a hell of a lot better than 111
2) FBG down to better levels - again it might still be above normal but better than 18.5 when I was first tested.
3) This is the biggie - My cholesterol was high, and I have tried to focus on moving down the GI index, so hopefully we don't have to have a conversation about statins - thankfully the doctor wanted to put off prescribing them until this blood test and to be honest from what I have heard from family and people in this forum, I have no intention of ever being in a position to have them if I can help it!
4) My BP is down to largely pre-high which again is not great but considering it was HIGH from February to July, this is another step hopefully in the right direction - has anyone here combined BP tabs with T2 meds? Please let me know what to expect if I can't stop him from prescribing something for that
5) I doubt my doctor will say I have full control (and I know with two more tournaments to cover before the end of the year, there will be blips) but hopefully I can stick to 2x500mg metformin SR as more tends to back me up solid which is a mare when you are away. Hopefully the doctor will at least accept that using the Freestyle Libre has helped me control what I can when I am home, and at least monitor what happens when I am away. How we control that next year in that lethal European swing... well who knows!

Watch this space!

Reactions: Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fingers crossed for you and your Dr's appointment. I had my second follow up on Friday and after congratulating me on my weight loss and 'non diabetic' HbA1c result, he swiftly moved on to cholesterol levels and Statins. I was forewarned as I had seen my results online (maybe you should register online for your results?). Granted my cholesterol numbers weren't as good as they used to be, but my arguments were, I'm scared of side effects of Statins, cholesterol levels can deteriorate during weight loss and Statins cause blood sugars to rise. My GP said he wouldn't force me ever to take Statins and was content it was my decision, but we would discuss it again at my next review in December! @bulkbiker has some other good arguments against Statins, I'm sure he'll chime in soon!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good luck with your tests. It sounds like you have taken more control of your health and I have the feeling that you will be pleased when you get the results. As to the cholesterol levels, well, apart from the opinion I have that eventually they sort themselves out after a change in diet, it seems that a lot of people are more worried about taking statins than they are about cholesterol levels. I would urge that while we as newly diagnosed are working hard at lowering our bg we should also learn more about cholesterol and its relationship with diabetes (if any). An informed decision is important before taking or refusing to take any medication.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both for your replies. I suspect he will want to tackle either the high cholesterol (if still high) or more likely my high BP. It is still pre-high with occasional hi readings (usually when I have been paying bills or doing my accounts!!!)

I am determined not to take statins, which makes me feel vaguely irresponsible where my health is concerned but I have yet to encounter anyone either in real-life or via forums who have said "yes oh my god these helped me so much"!

I may have to acquiesce for a while on the BP meds though.