2nd pregnancy with GD 20+6 on insulin this time.. hypos?

Gemsydodger

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hey folks. This is my second pregnancy with gestational diabetes. My first was born on 16/2/16 and I breastfed until the new year, when I discovered I was pregnant with baby 2, due in July.

In pregnancy one I was very stubborn and refused to go onto insulin, it's very difficult to get any information out there that isn't horror stories. I wanted a natural birth, drug free and to breast feed and everything I had read basically said the opposite if I was on insulin... I dug my heels in and controlled it with diet and a little help from metaformin standard 500mg with breakfast. I completely cut out carbs and slept my way to the end. I kept myself completely within range until the end.

Pregnancy 2... I tried so very hard to go with diet but I got diagnosed at 16 weeks. The problem was that my pre bloods were too high... usually over 6.0. I knew I needed insulin, and was comforted when the midwives and nurses assured me that I'm unlikely to need intervention in labour. So I started my insulin a few days ago and I'm on slow release metaformin 1000mg (tolerating well, farts are nothing lol)
Levemir 4 units for bed
Novorapid 2units per meal
but I can adjust myself as I have a fair grasp on carbs etc. So I have a particular problem with bread so if I eat a sandwich I know I need 3 units etc.
So my targets are spot on... pre bloods are below 5.0 and 1 hour bloods are always below the 7.8
My problem is that, 2 hours after food I'm having hypos 3.2-3.6.... so I have an oj and a low sugar cereal bar and that sorts me, but I'm not hungry and don't want to eat it.
How do I avoid that happening? Any suggestions would really be appreciated! I will be chatting with the nurses tomorrow but I'm the meantime suggestions would be great.... hope that's enough info
Gems x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well congratulation with being pregnant :) hope you´ll get some usefull answers .. I know nothing of being pregnant with diabetes just want to welcome you , and tag @daisy1 so you´ll get the very valuable information that everyone new in here gets...
I´m sure there will be some with experience that can give you some answers when they get into the forum...

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey folks. This is my second pregnancy with gestational diabetes. My first was born on 16/2/16 and I breastfed until the new year, when I discovered I was pregnant with baby 2, due in July.

In pregnancy one I was very stubborn and refused to go onto insulin, it's very difficult to get any information out there that isn't horror stories. I wanted a natural birth, drug free and to breast feed and everything I had read basically said the opposite if I was on insulin... I dug my heels in and controlled it with diet and a little help from metaformin standard 500mg with breakfast. I completely cut out carbs and slept my way to the end. I kept myself completely within range until the end.

Pregnancy 2... I tried so very hard to go with diet but I got diagnosed at 16 weeks. The problem was that my pre bloods were too high... usually over 6.0. I knew I needed insulin, and was comforted when the midwives and nurses assured me that I'm unlikely to need intervention in labour. So I started my insulin a few days ago and I'm on slow release metaformin 1000mg (tolerating well, farts are nothing lol)
Levemir 4 units for bed
Novorapid 2units per meal
but I can adjust myself as I have a fair grasp on carbs etc. So I have a particular problem with bread so if I eat a sandwich I know I need 3 units etc.
So my targets are spot on... pre bloods are below 5.0 and 1 hour bloods are always below the 7.8
My problem is that, 2 hours after food I'm having hypos 3.2-3.6.... so I have an oj and a low sugar cereal bar and that sorts me, but I'm not hungry and don't want to eat it.
How do I avoid that happening? Any suggestions would really be appreciated! I will be chatting with the nurses tomorrow but I'm the meantime suggestions would be great.... hope that's enough info
Gems x

Hi and congratulations on your pregnancy @Gemsydodger :)

What is your blood sugar like one hour after eating? Do you have a half unit pen? If you don't, ask for ne as it makes dose adjustment far easier.

The simple answer is that if you're dropping low like that, you may be having too much insulin/too few carbs. You could experiment by eating exactly the same meal for a few days in a row to see what works for you. When I say exactly the same, I mean exactly the same - ie weigh your carbs.

Gemsydodger

Type of diabetes
Gestational
I'm so sorry I'm only coming back now. Its been a mental few weeks. The goal posts changed and I need a lot more insulin than at the start. I went away and taught myself about carb counting, something no one had mentioned in any of my appointments and used my breakfast toast to determine my unit amount. I'm managing quite well. Just hitting the 28 week mark and the goal posts have moved once again so i'm back at square one and freaking out slightly at the increased insulin. Its weird that they allow novices to bring this stuff home and batter on lol.. I should have kept a journal, not my food diary, but a feelings journal. I know for certain this is my last pregnancy because I don't have it in me to do this again and that makes me a little sad. Thanks folks xx